From: Mario
Sent: 18 August 2020 16:02
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: PowerMixer stopped working

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

Mario

as far as I can find, there is a contact form where I can ask them about this or other issues, but it has a blasted visual CAPTCHA but there's no audio version or an address to directly email them.

It sounds like an issue for Power Mixer support and possible update of
their program.

Have you contacted them?

David G.

Windows 10

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

.

David Griffith

How frustrating  especially if there is no sighted help on hand.

Do you have  access to a Smart phone to get some sighted help like Be My Eyes etc. Or even a Skype zoom call where you can show  the problem to someone sighted who can solve it for you?

Personally though what I normally do in your situation is

Phone up a friend/relative.

Get them to get onto their Windows PC.

Both of us run Quick Assist  from the start menu.

This windows utility is completely accessible with Jaws.

Then we can screen share and actually for example my daughter has completed the screen capture for me on her laptop without any intervention from me. She can completely take over my machine.

You need to have a Microsoft account login for this to work but oddly although my daughter does not have a Microsoft account she can still log into Quick Assist  on her laptop using my Microsoft login, even though I am also logged in under this account on my Desktop.

Make sure you complain about the capture when you eventually get through.

Hope that helps.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

as far as I can find, there is a contact form where I can ask them about

this or other issues, but it has a blasted visual CAPTCHA but there's no

audio version or an address to directly email them.

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

.

Mario

David, what would you say about the CAPTCHA? no doubt they most likely want to keep using it for their contact form. maybe I should explain to them that they should offer an alternative audio CAPTCHA for us blind users.

sure wish Web Visum was still working for Firefox.

as far as I can find, there is a contact form where I can ask them about

this or other issues, but it has a blasted visual CAPTCHA but there's no

audio version or an address to directly email them.

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

.

.

David Griffith

Dear Mario

I am not personally a fan of audio captures as they normally sound so garbled I cannot hear them either.

I notice that a lot of sites, for example Sendspace and Worl Pay are now using captures which simply require you to locate on the screen a check box which is labelled I am not a robot and you simply have to tab to submit after checking this with the space bar. I have no idea what is going on visually but it works fine with Jaws.

If this is good enough for World Pay – a secure payment service  I don’t see why others cannot follow suit.

Another accessible method I have seen used with some success is to put in a question where you have to answer a simple question like – what is 2 plus 1. I suppose this might challenge some with permanent or temporary cognitive impairment like recovering stroke victims unfairly so on balance    I would still prefer the first method of simply having to check a confirmation.

PayPal and my bank now demand the ability to text my mobile phone so that is yet another option I suppose but I don’t like being forced to give out my phone number.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

as far as I can find, there is a contact form where I can ask them about

this or other issues, but it has a blasted visual CAPTCHA but there's no

audio version or an address to directly email them.

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

.

.

Mario

the problem... umm... it's not really a problem, is that with after checking the "I am not a robot" check box, I had to solve a visual CAPTCHA or an alternative audio CAPTCHA (if the webmaster includes one) to verify that I really am not a robot. so if you don't have a gmail account, which I do not have anymore, the surfer will be forced to solve some form of a CAPTCHA anyway.

as far as I can find, there is a contact form where I can ask them about

this or other issues, but it has a blasted visual CAPTCHA but there's no

audio version or an address to directly email them.

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

.

.

.

JM Casey

It probably doesn't have to be a gmail address -- any of the accounts associated with google should clear you through it. Yes it's a bit of a pain -- but worth it in my opinion; everything works rather nicely with chrome and dealing with these particular captchas, which are quite prevalent, is as easy as activating the box.

[...]

The “I am not a robot” checkbox only confirms through google – so, your mileage may vary. I hzave nothing logged in with my firefox browser and so if I hit one of those, it will present me with a challenge if I check the box – so I use Chrome for such thigns at the moment.

These simple questions that you mentioned can also easilyb e answered by artificial intelligences. There are visual challenges that actually depend in a way on a particularly human sort of intelligence – but it’s still not outside of the realm of artificial intelligence possibility to solve them. This is actaully a huge challenge for security and it’s pretty interesting on some levels.

as far as I can find, there is a contact form where I can ask them about

this or other issues, but it has a blasted visual CAPTCHA but there's no

audio version or an address to directly email them.

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

.

.

Mario

I think eventuallly (in 10, 20 years or so...) all methods of using CAPTCHAs will be solved by bots implimenting the use of AI, at which point using CAPTCHAs will no longer be effective for those webmasters who use them for curtailing spam.

as far as I can find, there is a contact form where I can ask them about

this or other issues, but it has a blasted visual CAPTCHA but there's no

audio version or an address to directly email them.

when my computer was still on Windows 10 version 1909, Power Mixer 3.81

worked as usual. but since Windows 10 upgraded to version 2004, Power

Mixer stopped working, even if I manually launch it, but is still

installed and is still set to start up at boot up. what can I do to get

PM working again? advise?

.

.

JM Casey

You're probably right.
For all intents and purposes, once you can no longer tell the difference between a human and a machine -- there arguably isn't a difference.
Its' a really interesting time we're living in and for sure, a lot of work needs yet to be done, but that's the way it's heading. :)

[...]

netbat66

half right. you can log into google on firefox and you will be logged in for ever. grin. until you manually sign out.
so you can go to any site that uses the google captcha and it will still bypass the captcha.

[...]

I did say I have nothing logged in specifically -- I go to youtube in chrome and see all my channels and settings and whatnot, but when I want to secretly view those Britney Speares and katie perry videos I use firefox where it doesn't have any of that info stored and pretend that it still doesn't know who I am. *grins*