moderated Pop-up windows - how do you get rid of them?

Ken Chernack

Hi.

My Norton and Spotify software are sending more and more pop-up messages.

They are becoming annoying!

The window does not have a ‘no’ button.

I cannot alt-F4to close the window.

How do you get to the ‘x’ in the top right corner of the window to close it?

Thanks.

Ken

Try just hitting ESCape when they appear.  That often works while they have focus.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Leo

Hi, if you are using Jaws, push Jaws key plus f8. This will bring up a list of any active frame on screen, so that you can focus the cursor on it and close it.

Best,

Leo Bado

My Norton and Spotify software are sending more and more pop-up messages.

They are becoming annoying!

The window does not have a ‘no’ button.

I cannot alt-F4to close the window.

How do you get to the ‘x’ in the top right corner of the window to close it?

Thanks.

Ken

Karen Reynolds

Hi Ken,

When programs do things like that I try to go into them and figure out how to turn off promotions and other announcements. If something does pop up, escape usually works.

Karen

My Norton and Spotify software are sending more and more pop-up messages.

They are becoming annoying!

The window does not have a ‘no’ button.

I cannot alt-F4to close the window.

How do you get to the ‘x’ in the top right corner of the window to close it?

Thanks.

Ken

David Kingsbury

Hi Ken,

If these are really irritating things that don’t go away, try pressing Windows A if in Windows 10 (I think it has changed in Windows 11) and you can tab around and manage notifications. In addition, it is possible you have Spotify starting when you start up the computer. I would turn that off and only start Spotify when you want to use it. Check if this is starting at startup by pressing Windows and typing startup in the search box, and hitting Enter. Then tab through, and uncheck apps you don’t want to start at startup. As for Norton, I don’t use it and try to avoid it, but think I remember you saying once that it is really important for you.

These may help, but no guarantees.

Regards,

David

Ken Chernack

Thanks to Brian, Leo, Karen and David for your thoughts.

Would you believe the Freedom Scientific Help Desk gave me an answer that is really workable and works all the time?

The Help Desk person suggested that I have focus on the pop-up window,

press alt-spacebar and in the contextual menu that appears arrow down to close and press enter.

In other words, I am in the 3 little boxes in the top right of just about every
Windows window.

The esc key worked some of the time, but not always for me.

Life is better… and baseball is just around the corner too!

Onward,

Ken

If these are really irritating things that don’t go away, try pressing Windows A if in Windows 10 (I think it has changed in Windows 11) and you can tab around and manage notifications. In addition, it is possible you have Spotify starting when you start up the computer. I would turn that off and only start Spotify when you want to use it. Check if this is starting at startup by pressing Windows and typing startup in the search box, and hitting Enter. Then tab through, and uncheck apps you don’t want to start at startup. As for Norton, I don’t use it and try to avoid it, but think I remember you saying once that it is really important for you.

These may help, but no guarantees.

Regards,

David

Karen Reynolds

Glad you got a good workable solution. I’ll hang on to this in case I ever need it.

Karen