Topics

moderated Podcast, New Feature

Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES)

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has listened to the latest podcast but there was an option mentioned for some laptops that cut off the first part of speech with bluetooth headphones, did anyone listen to this?

Steven Hicks.

Servicedesk 2 Team Leader.

Tel:  01209 318620.

Mobile:  07393 792548.

EMail:  Steven.Hicks@....

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

Shan Noyes

Yes, what is happening is to save power some sound card drivers are putting the card into a sleep or shutdown mode and so when Jaws goes to send info to the sound card it has to wake up.  This isn’t happening to everyone.  The solution was a small program was written that continually sends something to the card to keep it active. And that way it didn’t have to wake up.

In the June release of Jaws they are going to build this feature of keeping the card awake as an option that a person can turn on if they are experiencing the issue.

Have a good day.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 6:09 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Podcast, New Feature

-------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING, this email originated from outside of SaskTel.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

Not sure if anyone has listened to the latest podcast but there was an option mentioned for some laptops that cut off the first part of speech with bluetooth headphones, did anyone listen to this?

Steven Hicks.

********************************************************************************************************************

This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the
Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in relation to its contents. To do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. Thank you for your co-operation.

NHSmail is the secure email and directory service available for all NHS staff in England and Scotland. NHSmail is approved for exchanging patient data and other sensitive information with NHSmail and other accredited email services.

For more information and to find out how you can switch, https://portal.nhs.net/help/joiningnhsmail

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

James Homuth

That’s very common especially with Dell laptops, but basically anything with a Realtek driver. My solution was a registry tweak. Not sure if it will survive a driver update, but I haven’t had the problem since I changed the required entries, so I’m good.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shan Noyes
Sent: June 11, 2020 9:32 AM
Subject: Re: Podcast, New Feature

Yes, what is happening is to save power some sound card drivers are putting the card into a sleep or shutdown mode and so when Jaws goes to send info to the sound card it has to wake up.  This isn’t happening to everyone.  The solution was a small program was written that continually sends something to the card to keep it active. And that way it didn’t have to wake up.

In the June release of Jaws they are going to build this feature of keeping the card awake as an option that a person can turn on if they are experiencing the issue.

Have a good day.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Hicks Steven (CORNWALL IT SERVICES) via groups.io

Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.

Hi,

Steven Hicks.

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

Oh right, interesting, do you have the details on the registry changes?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Homuth
Sent: 11 June 2020 14:41

That’s very common especially with Dell laptops, but basically anything with a Realtek driver. My solution was a registry tweak. Not sure if it will survive a driver update, but I haven’t had the problem since I changed the required entries, so I’m good.

Have a good day.

Hi,

Steven Hicks.

I Have tried it on two Dell laptops so this would explain things.

I Guess that if it is kept awake always, it wil decrease the battery life, that would explain that logic.

Have a good day.

Hi,

Steven Hicks.

Douglas C. DeCamp

This has been a problem for me for years with a Titanium SoundBlaster card, though it doesn’t cut off words, it just causes occasional crackling or distortion.  I have been using the  Silenzio app  for some time to stop this problem. Glad to see it incorporated in JAWS.

DD

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 7:09 AM

Hi,

Steven Hicks.

Shan Noyes

The interesting thing is that the issue doesn’t show up on all laptops  using the Realtek  drivers.  I have a HP laptop and it is running windows 10 1909 haven’t pulled down or had the latest version pushed to me yet, but I’ve never had this sound problem.

But if you want to read on I’ll tell you about an issue I had with my laptop when I upgraded to windows 10 18.03 version.  It’s a weird story and the solution was insane. But it fixed my issues.  I actually worked with Freedom Scientific, and it was the accessibility folks at Microsoft the tier 3 folks who solved it.

My laptop is a fully loaded system 20 gb of ram 5.1 surround sound with a touch screen. 

Yes, I know I didn’t need some of these features like the h HG screen but the system came with dual AC wireless and I loved the keyboard action.  I’m a little picky when it comes to the keyboard and so tested out lots of systems before purchasing one.

Anyways, my system worked fine with windows 10 17.09.  however, after upgrading to the 18.03 release I discovered a very annoying bug.

The keyboard echo worked fine as long as I was working on the desktop or in a ms office product.  When you typed the characters would be spoken correctly.  Or words for that matter. 

However, when one launched an internet browser to go to the web suddenly the keyboard echo was insane.  When you hit a character it did not report the character properly.  E.g. hit the letter w and it might say r

The interesting thing was if you went back and reviewed what you had typed the characters were reported as expected.

I thought maybe it was a keyboard driver.  It wasn’t. Microsoft the first folks checked that.  no the driver was upto date.  We then checked the sound drivers they were up to date.

Note: this browser issue happened with narrator as well.

So the tier I folks ended up passing me to the tier 2 folks.  They checked things out as well. No good.  So they passed me back to the tier 3 folks.

So had to set up a time for the tier 3 folks to call me.  When they did we set up a remote session so they could come on to my laptop.  And with in 5 minutes the issue was fixed.

Hold it wait!!!!

I bet none of you will guess what the solution was.  I still shake my head when thinking about it.  But the solution just goes to show you how interrelated the windows code is.

The solution was to lock my screen into land scape mode.  As soon as we did this, everything worked fine.  In any web browser when a person hit the letter w it said w. etc.

So that’s my weird solution and story about windows10.

Have a good day everyone.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Homuth via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2020 7:41 AM

Have a good day.

Hi,

Steven Hicks.

Very strange, thanks for sharing!

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Shan Noyes
Sent: 11 June 2020 15:05
Importance: High

The interesting thing is that the issue doesn’t show up on all laptops  using the Realtek  drivers.  I have a HP laptop and it is running windows 10 1909 haven’t pulled down or had the latest version pushed to me yet, but I’ve never had this sound problem.

But if you want to read on I’ll tell you about an issue I had with my laptop when I upgraded to windows 10 18.03 version.  It’s a weird story and the solution was insane. But it fixed my issues.  I actually worked with Freedom Scientific, and it was the accessibility folks at Microsoft the tier 3 folks who solved it.

My laptop is a fully loaded system 20 gb of ram 5.1 surround sound with a touch screen. 

Yes, I know I didn’t need some of these features like the h HG screen but the system came with dual AC wireless and I loved the keyboard action.  I’m a little picky when it comes to the keyboard and so tested out lots of systems before purchasing one.

Anyways, my system worked fine with windows 10 17.09.  however, after upgrading to the 18.03 release I discovered a very annoying bug.

The keyboard echo worked fine as long as I was working on the desktop or in a ms office product.  When you typed the characters would be spoken correctly.  Or words for that matter. 

However, when one launched an internet browser to go to the web suddenly the keyboard echo was insane.  When you hit a character it did not report the character properly.  E.g. hit the letter w and it might say r

The interesting thing was if you went back and reviewed what you had typed the characters were reported as expected.

I thought maybe it was a keyboard driver.  It wasn’t. Microsoft the first folks checked that.  no the driver was upto date.  We then checked the sound drivers they were up to date.

So the tier I folks ended up passing me to the tier 2 folks.  They checked things out as well. No good.  So they passed me back to the tier 3 folks.

So had to set up a time for the tier 3 folks to call me.  When they did we set up a remote session so they could come on to my laptop.  And with in 5 minutes the issue was fixed.

Hold it wait!!!!

I bet none of you will guess what the solution was.  I still shake my head when thinking about it.  But the solution just goes to show you how interrelated the windows code is.

The solution was to lock my screen into land scape mode.  As soon as we did this, everything worked fine.  In any web browser when a person hit the letter w it said w. etc.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of James Homuth via groups.io

Have a good day.

Hi,

Steven Hicks.

Well after a long search, I found what I think is the registry settings but it is very complicated and involves hex values.

If you don’t use hex values, it won’t work and I have an example to set it from the default of 3 seconds to 60 but I wanted something less, I wanted something like 2 minutes so I guess I am going to have to find the hex for 120 which is the setting for 120 second = two minutes and test that otherwise I think it will drain the battery big time.

Have a good day.

Hi,

Steven Hicks.

JM Casey

Huh…well, that is interesting indeed. Does anyone actually use their computer in portrait mode? Even most laptop screens are not shaped like phone screens and you’d think that would also make everything display very weirdly.

Sent: June 11, 2020 10:05 AM
Importance: High

Hold it wait!!!!

Have a good day.

Hi,

Steven Hicks.