moderated Please tell me how to unload and reload JAWS safely

Shirley Tracy

HI,

I’m having a lot of little challenges with JAWS. Mail is freezing up, and so are other apps. Other little things aren’t right. I called Freedom Scientific, but the tech support person with whom I spoke said it was a Microsoft issue—especially mail. I thought he was right, but more issues have convinced me that I need to reload a new JAWS. So how do I do it without losing my mail and other programs?

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Milton Ota

Hello,

If you live in the United States and would like me to tandam into your computer to see if I can help, I think I can clear up some of the problem you are experiencing.

I’m in the Central Time Zone, so if interested, reply to this message with a phone number and best time to tandam into your computer. I’m pretty much free all day tomorrow and available up until 10 o’clock this evening.

I have help fix a few others who were experiencing similar problems that you are describing.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shirley Tracy
Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 7:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Please tell me how to unload and reload JAWS safely

HI,

I’m having a lot of little challenges with JAWS. Mail is freezing up, and so are other apps. Other little things aren’t right. I called Freedom Scientific, but the tech support person with whom I spoke said it was a Microsoft issue—especially mail. I thought he was right, but more issues have convinced me that I need to reload a new JAWS. So how do I do it without losing my mail and other programs?

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Don Risavy, Jr.

Use the insert f4 command or numpad0 f4 to unload jaws and then can turn it back on using the hot key if set up of alt ctrl j or the run command followed by the word jaws and the version number for example jaws2021 or can also be done from the windows key by typing jaws and pressing enter.

So hope that helps.

Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 8:43 PM

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Hi,

How about 10:30 tomorrow, Eastern time. I’m more available then.

Thanks.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: Please tell me how to unload and reload JAWS safely

Hello,

If you live in the United States and would like me to tandam into your computer to see if I can help, I think I can clear up some of the problem you are experiencing.

I’m in the Central Time Zone, so if interested, reply to this message with a phone number and best time to tandam into your computer. I’m pretty much free all day tomorrow and available up until 10 o’clock this evening.

I have help fix a few others who were experiencing similar problems that you are describing.

Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 7:43 PM

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Curtis Chong

Hello:

When you say unload and reload JAWS, are you talking about removing JAWS from your system and then re-installing the program. If this is indeed the case, you can remove JAWS and then re-install it. This has no effect upon any of the programs you use in Windows.

I myself am experiencing frequent crashes of Outlook which are forcing me to stop and then restart Outlook. I believe this is a problem with how JAWS and Outlook are working (or not working) together. Unfortunately, I’m not able to consistently reproduce the problem so that the folks at Freedom Scientific can reproduce the problem on their end.

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

On Sep 9, 2021, at 6:42 PM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

I think it always helps a lot to know more, as you said, is she wanting to "reinstall" Jaws or simply restart Jaws. Normal when you talk about "unloading" Jaws this means Jaws Key + F4, then start it again by pressing a hotkey if you set one up or by typing Windows Key + R and then "JawsXXXX" where XXXX is the version you have, e.g. Jaws2021 without space. You can also minimize to the desktop by pressing Windows Key + M and then type "J" and if you have a Jaws desktop shortcut and it's the only one which starts with J then doing that and pressing enter works.

If she indeed needs to repair or reinstall Jaws, then it certainly would be good to know which version of Jaws she has and is she wanting to reinstall the same version in which case a repair would be the way to go or does she want to upgrade to a newer version.

Anybody who is using Windows 10 Version 2004, 20H2 or 21H1 should really be running Jaws 2021 for best results and of course if you are using Outlook you should be on either version 2019, the full one-time purchase version or have a Microsoft 365 subscription and use Office as downloaded from there.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: September 9, 2021 8:53 PM

Hello:

When you say unload and reload JAWS, are you talking about removing JAWS from your system and then re-installing the program. If this is indeed the case, you can remove JAWS and then re-install it. This has no effect upon any of the programs you use in Windows.

I myself am experiencing frequent crashes of Outlook which are forcing me to stop and then restart Outlook. I believe this is a problem with how JAWS and Outlook are working (or not working) together. Unfortunately, I’m not able to consistently reproduce the problem so that the folks at Freedom Scientific can reproduce the problem on their end.

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Good morning,

I want to remove this current version of JAWS and reinstall it. I think it is somehow corrupt—but I don’t know enough to know. I just figure if I install it again I might have the trouble fixed.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Microsoft yesterday, and another chunk of time with Tech support at Freedom Scientific (or whatever name they’re using now).

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 1:18 AM

I think it always helps a lot to know more, as you said, is she wanting to "reinstall" Jaws or simply restart Jaws. Normal when you talk about "unloading" Jaws this means Jaws Key + F4, then start it again by pressing a hotkey if you set one up or by typing Windows Key + R and then "JawsXXXX" where XXXX is the version you have, e.g. Jaws2021 without space. You can also minimize to the desktop by pressing Windows Key + M and then type "J" and if you have a Jaws desktop shortcut and it's the only one which starts with J then doing that and pressing enter works.

If she indeed needs to repair or reinstall Jaws, then it certainly would be good to know which version of Jaws she has and is she wanting to reinstall the same version in which case a repair would be the way to go or does she want to upgrade to a newer version.

Anybody who is using Windows 10 Version 2004, 20H2 or 21H1 should really be running Jaws 2021 for best results and of course if you are using Outlook you should be on either version 2019, the full one-time purchase version or have a Microsoft 365 subscription and use Office as downloaded from there.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: September 9, 2021 8:53 PM

Hello:

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Good morning,

I’m running windows 10, JAWS 2021, Gmail through Windows Mail, and Office 2019 (I think it’s home and student version).  

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Thursday, September 9, 2021 11:52 PM

Hello:

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Curtis Chong

Hello Shirley:

I ran a JAWS repair on my system last night, and that did not resolve my Outlook issue.

In your downloads folder, you should see something called J2021.2107.12.400-any.exe. You want to be sure you have this program in that folder before removing anything. If you run the program now, without removing JAWS, a JAWS repair will run. This takes about five minutes to do. Try this first and see if your problem is fixed.

Removing JAWS is a bit trickier. If you remove it, you won’t have a screen reader other than Narrator (unless you have NVDA available to you). If you want to do a really clean removal, you must remove the JAWS shared components as well. Run appwiz.cpl from the Windows Run dialog, find JAWS, and bring up the context menu. Uninstall should be there as an option.

Note none of your other stuff is going to be affected by this.

Best regards,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 5:57 AM

Good morning,

I’m running windows 10, JAWS 2021, Gmail through Windows Mail, and Office 2019 (I think it’s home and student version).  

Shirley Tracy

Hello:

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Hi Shirley,

As others mentioned, a Jaws repair is what you want to do first. Activate the following link it will download the latest installer for of Jaws 2021, when you run it you will be asked if you want to do a repair, select that option and let it finish.

I suggest once you click the link and Jaws has downloaded that you copy the file from the Downloads folder to the desktop, this will give you the easiest access but it's not strictly required.

I would also recommend that if you have Outlook 2019 that you set up your Gmail account there and remove it from the Mail app, Outlook is a much more full-featured mail application with good support for Jaws 2021.

JAWS 2021.2107.12 - July 2021

Best regards,

Sieghard

Sent: September 10, 2021 4:57 AM

Good morning,

Shirley Tracy

Hello:

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Thanks Curtis. I got some help from a very kind and knowledgeable person on this list, and most of my issues have cleared up. I’m still waiting for the next upgrade of JAWS to hopefully fix more.

Cheerfully,  

Shirley Tracy

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 10:36 AM

Hello Shirley:

I ran a JAWS repair on my system last night, and that did not resolve my Outlook issue.

In your downloads folder, you should see something called J2021.2107.12.400-any.exe. You want to be sure you have this program in that folder before removing anything. If you run the program now, without removing JAWS, a JAWS repair will run. This takes about five minutes to do. Try this first and see if your problem is fixed.

Removing JAWS is a bit trickier. If you remove it, you won’t have a screen reader other than Narrator (unless you have NVDA available to you). If you want to do a really clean removal, you must remove the JAWS shared components as well. Run appwiz.cpl from the Windows Run dialog, find JAWS, and bring up the context menu. Uninstall should be there as an option.

Note none of your other stuff is going to be affected by this.

Best regards,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Friday, September 10, 2021 5:57 AM

Good morning,

Shirley Tracy

Hello:

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

HI,

Cheerfully,

Shirley