Topics

Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

paul lemm

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered Jaws has a screen shade function which turns off the display of  your PC. It seems to be a temporary option however, as every time I restart my PC I have to reenable screen shade. I have tried both the layered key stroke and setting  screen shade through quick settings , but as mentioned both seem to only activate  jaws screen shade until I boot down my laptop. Does anyone know is there a way of setting jaws so screen shade is always on?

Paul Lemm

Mike B

Hi Paul,

To the best of my knowledge, no it can't be turned on permanently.  For others that are unfamiliar with this Jaws feature it's explained below.

Note:  This feature is only available with Jaws2018 & Newer, running Windows 10.  I'm not sure, but possibly Windows 8.1 as well.

 Jaws Key + Spacebar followed by F11 or Printscreen both toggle screen curtain on and off.

The screen shade setting does not appear in the Jaws Settings Center and is only accessible through the layered  keystroke feature or, Jaws quick settings.

 The layered keystroke feature is when you  hold down the Insert key then press down the spacebar, let up on both keys, then press a third key to perform
a particular task.

 In this case the layered keystroke to turn the, Screen Shade, On or Off task is below:

 Hold down the Insert key, then press down the spacebar, now let up on both keys, and tap either the, Print Screen, key,  or the, F11 key.

 With each press of this keystroke sequence you will hear Jaws report either, Screen shade on or, Screenn shade off.

 Since the Jaws screen shade feature isn't available in the Settings Center, and can be only accessed by the 2 ways mentioned above, here's the way to
check its current setting through Jaws quick settings:

 BTW,  whether you're in Explorer or a program, the screen shade setting is found in the General Options category of Jaws quick settings. So, when, in
or on, most places of your computer press, Insert + V, to open Jaws quick settings.
Down arrow until you hear Jaws report, General Options, and if Jaws reports that it's closed right arrow to open.
 Now continue down arrowing until you hear Jaws report, Screen Shade, either checked or unchecked.  Pressing the spacebar will toggle this setting on &
off, checked being, On, and unchecked being, Off.

 If you make a settings change for this setting or others, then tab to the, Okay button, press enter to save your settings changes & close quick settings.

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 7:56 AM
Subject: Permanently activating Jaws screen shade

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered Jaws has a screen shade function which turns off the display of  your PC. It seems to be a temporary option however, as every time I restart my PC I have to reenable screen shade. I have tried both the layered key stroke and setting  screen shade through quick settings , but as mentioned both seem to only activate  jaws screen shade until I boot down my laptop. Does anyone know is there a way of setting jaws so screen shade is always on?

Paul Lemm

Mario

I was thinking, perhaps it would be possible to add the appropriate command to the autostart function in the myextensions.jss file and hopefully it will compile successfully. this way, screen curtian will be invoked everytime JAWS is loaded or restarted.

the alternative would be is to turn the monitor off, but a laptop doesn't have a power button or a way to turn it off. although I could be wrong, I don't think so.

[...]

I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to
please everybody.
I recently discovered Jaws has a screen shade function which turns off
the display of  your PC. It seems to be a temporary option however, as
every time I restart my PC I have to reenable screen shade. I have tried
both the layered key stroke and setting  screen shade through quick
settings , but as mentioned both seem to only activate  jaws screen
shade until I boot down my laptop. Does anyone know is there a way of
setting jaws so screen shade is always on?

Paul Lemm

Shan Noyes

As a developer and one who has supported users, I can understand why the screen shade item has been set to have to be turned on. If it was a permanent setting what would happen is it would end up generating calls. Because people would have their jaws starting up with the screen shade enabled, and then say something happened on start up of jaws. The screen would be blank. And there are a lot of users who would just ask a sighted person can you see what's happening. Well the answer would be nothing because the screen would be blank.

So from a support point of view it is better that it isn't an always on feature.

Have a good day everyone.

WARNING, this email originated from outside of SaskTel.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.

[...]

thanks everyone for your replies. It’s a shame it doesn’t seem like there is a built in feature/setting to turn it on permanently. Still the ability to turn of the display is still a handy feature and who knows maybe they’ll add in a permanent setting in some later version. at least there is a layered keystroke  so it’s at least nice and easy to just turn on/off . Mario, I did see your reply/suggestion, I was really just hoping for a straight forward setting in Jaws somewhere, I’m not really sure how  to amend the auto start commands in Jaws and I don’t want to accidently break jaws 😊 since I mainly use my desktop  and only use the laptop occasionally (where screen shade would be used) I’ll just stick with manually turning the feature on/off, but thank you for your suggestion

Paul Lemm

Sent: Tuesday, July 07, 2020 7:56 AM

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered Jaws has a screen shade function which turns off the display of  your PC. It seems to be a temporary option however, as every time I restart my PC I have to reenable screen shade. I have tried both the layered key stroke and setting  screen shade through quick settings , but as mentioned both seem to only activate  jaws screen shade until I boot down my laptop. Does anyone know is there a way of setting jaws so screen shade is always on?

Paul Lemm

Ashleigh Piccinino

I just want to know why you’d want the screen shade to be permanent? I just hope it’s nothing that your searcin for that you don’t want everyone else seeing, like end of life stuff-suicide stuff, I mean. Please e-mail me privately at apiccinino@... to answer this question, okay?
Ashleigh Piccinino

On Jul 7, 2020, at 9:56 AM, paul lemm via groups.io <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

I recently discovered Jaws has a screen shade function which turns off the display of  your PC. It seems to be a temporary option however, as every time I restart my PC I have to reenable screen shade. I have tried both the layered key stroke and setting  screen shade through quick settings , but as mentioned both seem to only activate  jaws screen shade until I boot down my laptop. Does anyone know is there a way of setting jaws so screen shade is always on?

Paul Lemm

paul lemm

Hi Ashleigh,

No, its nothing like that at all, the main reason for wanting the display constantly  off is that on a laptop one of the biggest drains on the battery is the display, since I don’t use it anyway it just makes sense to have it turned off to conserve battery life. The iPhone  has a similar function called screen curtain  which you can set to be on all the time, it turns the display off which hugely conserves battery life  on the phone. I really just wanted this function to  make the battery charge last longer when using my laptop, rather than wasting battery life powering a display which I’m not using anyway. Thanks for reaching out though to check I was doing ok, its nice to know people  are watching out  for each other here, but I’m doing absolutely fine, hope you are too.

Paul

[...]

Jim Weiss

Paul,
Actually your battery savings will be minimal.  This is documented by Apple as well on their website.  The main drain for displaying graphics is the GPU and not the actual display.  Turning on screen curtain or screen shade does not shut down the GPU, all of the graphics rendering is still happening, it is just not being displayed.  You will save some battery by enabling it, but according to Apple the average user will not even notice the savings.  I am also a Mac and iPhone user and have screen curtain enabled on both of my devices almost all of the time and my battery lasts about the exact same.  With screen curtain off on my Mac Book I get 8 hours of battery, with it turned on the battery meter still reads 8 hours.  Now that 8 hours also depends on what I am doing, reading email and word processing is much less drain than running a Win 10 VM in VMware Fusion.
The main reason for screen shade/curtain is privacy.
HTH,
Jim
Jim Weiss

“Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives” | William A. Foster

On Jul 9, 2020, at 3:52 AM, paul lemm via groups.io <paul.lemm@...> wrote:

[...]

Gmail Jonas

The screen curtain   In Jaws will not save on your battery!

[...]

having screen curtain turned on would preserve at least some battery, since not having to power the backlight of a display would reduce some battery consumption. This is why low power mode when activated on both the iPhone and most laptops along with other functions they will dim the Brightness of the screen to preserve battery power, as the brighter the screen the more battery power it takes, so having screen curtain on and therefore having brightness dimmed down to almost zero would preserve some battery. I think any pc or smart phone site advising on saving battery life will almost always tell you to reduce the brightness of your screen to preserve battery life. However, I think like Jim said though, it’s probably not such a huge saving and probably less than it used to be years ago with advances in technology and the display being less power hungry than they would have been in the past

Paul

[...]

Richard Turner

As for the iPhone, if you set the brightness to auto, when you use the screen curtain, the brightness will go to 0; which does save battery.
I could imagine that if you are running a laptop on battery it may help a little; but I'm not a computer technician.

Richard

[...]

Jonas,

          You are correct that the screen curtain in JAWS will not save significant battery on a laptop since it only turns off the actual display, but does nothing with the backlight (which is actually a edge-spill light, but that doesn't really matter).  You have a lit black screen.

           Just activated it on/off with INSERT+SPACE,F11 and it's clear that the backlight remains on.  Whether it remains on for hours I cannot say, and I cannot use my computer without looking at the screen.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Hi Paul,

There is a difference between turning on the screen curtain on an iPhone and saving battery. A few things are involved here:

1. If you have an iPhone like the iPhone X, XS/XS Max or 11S/11S Max which have OLEd screens and not LCD screens, turning on screen curtain may in fact save a little bit of battery because OLED screens do not require backlighting like LCD screens.

2. In theory if you have an LCD screen model like the iPhone 8, SE, XR or 11 then turning on screen curtain makes no difference because it simply makes every pixel on the screen black. However, in recent versions of iOS I believe turning on screen curtain also drops the brightness level to 0% and in fact that is where your battery savings comes in. Of course you could overwrite automatic brightness and turn the brightness to 0% manually and if you did this there would be no difference in battery usage whether screen curtain is on or not, it's the brightness level/backlighting which uses up battery power.

I am not sure how this works on a laptop, but I assume turning on Jaws screen shade does not change the brightness level and if that is true then turning it on will make no difference to how much battery is used up.

Best regards,

Sieghard

[...]

Marty Hutchings

Isn’t there a setting under Ease of Access for using the computer without a monitor?  Would that turn off the monitor?

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Thursday, July 09, 2020 1:32 PM

Jonas,

          You are correct that the screen curtain in JAWS will not save significant battery on a laptop since it only turns off the actual display, but does nothing with the backlight (which is actually a edge-spill light, but that doesn't really matter).  You have a lit black screen.

           Just activated it on/off with INSERT+SPACE,F11 and it's clear that the backlight remains on.  Whether it remains on for hours I cannot say, and I cannot use my computer without looking at the screen.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Jed Barton

Hey guys.

So here's a question, how do you activate this screen shade? It would
be cool to know.

Cheers,

Jed

On 7/9/20, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:
Isn’t there a setting under Ease of Access for using the computer without a
monitor? Would that turn off the monitor?

Love in Christ
Marty
If we view this present life as our primary goal, we will agree with William
Shakespeare who said: “Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and
fury, signifying nothing.” From TODAY IN THE WORD June 1, 2020

You are correct that the screen curtain in JAWS will not save
significant battery on a laptop since it only turns off the actual display,
but does nothing with the backlight (which is actually a edge-spill light,
but that doesn't really matter). You have a lit black screen.

Just activated it on/off with INSERT+SPACE,F11 and it's clear
that the backlight remains on. Whether it remains on for hours I cannot
say, and I cannot use my computer without looking at the screen.

~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White

Hi, Jed.

Screen Shade Toggle INSERT+SPACEBAR, F11 or INSERT+SPACEBAR, PRINTSCREEN

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

You are correct that the screen curtain in JAWS will not save
significant battery on a laptop since it only turns off the actual display,
but does nothing with the backlight (which is actually a edge-spill light,
but that doesn't really matter). You have a lit black screen.

Just activated it on/off with INSERT+SPACE,F11 and it's clear
that the backlight remains on. Whether it remains on for hours I cannot
say, and I cannot use my computer without looking at the screen.

~ Lawrence Krauss

Jed Barton

I tried insert space bar. It made a low to high tone sound. I'm
guessing that when i hit it again, there is no tone, and that means it
turns off?

On 7/11/20, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:
Hi, Jed.

Screen Shade Toggle INSERT+SPACEBAR, F11 or INSERT+SPACEBAR, PRINTSCREEN

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

You are correct that the screen curtain in JAWS will not save
significant battery on a laptop since it only turns off the actual
display,
but does nothing with the backlight (which is actually a edge-spill
light,
but that doesn't really matter). You have a lit black screen.

Just activated it on/off with INSERT+SPACE,F11 and it's clear
that the backlight remains on. Whether it remains on for hours I cannot
say, and I cannot use my computer without looking at the screen.

~ Lawrence Krauss

Bill White

No, Jed. You didn't even get to Screen Shade. The toggle is INSERT plus SPACE, followed by F11 or PrintScreen.

Insert plus SPACE is a layered command that gives access to subcommands.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

You are correct that the screen curtain in JAWS will not save
significant battery on a laptop since it only turns off the actual
display,
but does nothing with the backlight (which is actually a edge-spill
light,
but that doesn't really matter). You have a lit black screen.

Just activated it on/off with INSERT+SPACE,F11 and it's clear
that the backlight remains on. Whether it remains on for hours I cannot
say, and I cannot use my computer without looking at the screen.

~ Lawrence Krauss

Jed Barton

oh cool, that's awesome. I tried it, and it worked. Talk about super asy haha.

On 7/11/20, Bill White <billwhite92701@...> wrote:
No, Jed. You didn't even get to Screen Shade. The toggle is INSERT plus
SPACE, followed by F11 or PrintScreen.

Insert plus SPACE is a layered command that gives access to subcommands.

Bill White
billwhite92701@...

You are correct that the screen curtain in JAWS will not save
significant battery on a laptop since it only turns off the actual
display,
but does nothing with the backlight (which is actually a edge-spill
light,
but that doesn't really matter). You have a lit black screen.

Just activated it on/off with INSERT+SPACE,F11 and it's clear
that the backlight remains on. Whether it remains on for hours I cannot
say, and I cannot use my computer without looking at the screen.

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome
it.
~ Lawrence Krauss