Topics

moderated "Perma Link" designation on webpage

Van Lant, Robin

All,

Our company just started using SharePoint Online for our company news intranet site.  As I navigate the page, I’m hearing “Perma link” I can actually even navigate this letter by letter,  but am thinking it’s not visually on the page.  Anyone her of this designation and know why this might be used over another method of tagging?

Here is a sample from JAWS speech history.  I had just navigated to a story profiling a coworker. IT first read a heading with the story title, then the following;

heading level 3‑ same page link‑ Permalink for From Stephanie:

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

PermaLinks are normally used in circumstances, like online forums, or comments sections in newspapers (or elsewhere), that it would be otherwise impossible to get to that particular bit of content using the URL that's actually in the address bar.

It's a method to allow you to get to something directly that you might otherwise never be easily able to "drill down" and find in the future.  The text itself has never had "PermaLink" shown, in my experience, but you get that notice via hover-over if you're sighted.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Van Lant, Robin

Thanks, Brian.  I suppose that makes sense if they want to be able to place a link to one of the company news stories directly on an email.  It’s a new approach to me and leaves some JAWS verbal clutter, but I supposed I’ll get used to it.

Robin