moderated PDF files?

Claudia

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR, is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Justin Williams

What is cro while?

There are accessibility options in adobe.

I can't remember where they are located.

The other accommodation I'd use if necessary is aIRA to make sure you get
the job done if you can't get it to work any other way.

Use the job promotion aIRA has, it is free for 30 minutes. But I think you
only have a certain amount of it you can use per month probably 150 minutes
like the small business promotion.

You can request your job, or voc rehab, or use your IRWE's if you have any
to pay for the plans.

Try the accessibility options first.

I'm not sure how well jaws OCR works with fillable forms.

Also, the nfb convention is coming up in july.

See if you can find some pdf or accessibility seminars, they
Will be held there.

Justin

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my
previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of
Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there
any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR,
is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another
accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Claudia

Sorry, I meant Kurzweil.

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my
previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of
Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there
any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR,
is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another
accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Bill White

I think Claudia meant Kurzweil.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my
previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of
Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there
any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR,
is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another
accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Christine Laton <christinelaton@...>

Hi,

I’m with you–just started a new job with a decent amount of PDF use. It seems like forms are pretty accessible, but I would definitely ask for the pro version if not already given to you.

Maybe we can tag team on things we figure out. I have to figure out how to trim pages today.

Christine

On Jun 10, 2022, at 12:15 AM, Claudia <claudiadr2013@...> wrote:

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR, is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>

I just started a new job this week also, and there is some sort of squabble over transferring a Jaws license, so I'm trying to go from a sometimes-NVDA user to a all-the-time NVDA user overnight. And I'm supposed to be creating accessibility reports in Excel with NVDA.

Excel makes me miss PDF.

Kestrell

I’m with you–just started a new job with a decent amount of PDF use. It seems like forms are pretty accessible, but I would definitely ask for the pro version if not already given to you.

Maybe we can tag team on things we figure out. I have to figure out how to trim pages today.

Christine

On Jun 10, 2022, at 12:15 AM, Claudia <claudiadr2013@...> wrote:

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR, is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Dacia Cole

I have the same issue. I was trying to fill out a form that was supposedly supposed to be a fillable PDF the other day, and when I tried to OCR it even see what it said it said that it was a scan image and may not work properly. I was able to open it in chrome and read it, but there was no way I could fill it out. I believe I have Adobe acrobat DC Pro. I am using jaws 2022 and either windows 10 or 11 I’m not sure which one my work has. But the fact that PDFs are so universally used and aren’t always made accessible is very frustrating.

On Jun 10, 2022, at 8:16 AM, Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...> wrote:

[...]

Cornelius

Perhaps we should suggest to FS to conduct a WebInAr on editing and filling a PDF form using the Acrobat pro. More often than not, I have to do it the manual way, which is to print out the form, have a sighted person fill it and I would scan it back to PDF.

I’m with you–just started a new job with a decent amount of PDF use. It seems like forms are pretty accessible, but I would definitely ask for the pro version if not already given to you.

Maybe we can tag team on things we figure out. I have to figure out how to trim pages today.

Christine

On Jun 10, 2022, at 12:15 AM, Claudia <claudiadr2013@...> wrote:

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR, is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Kestrel Verlager <kestrell@...>

My experience is that almost all of the inaccessible forms are due to the people who originally create these forms not being fully knowledgeable or educated about how to create accessible forms. Many of them believe that you can simply create a form in Word and have it convert to PDF and everything will be accessible. Others think that creating a visual line for a signature or other piece of data to be entered will be accessible to a screen reader.

This is aside from the huge issue of how many of these inaccessible forms are old forms which have not been remediated, or can't be remediated for various reasons or, probably the largest category, no one is even aware that they are inaccessible to screen reader users because no one has told them so.

So yes, Freedom Scientific and Adobe should continue to increase accessibility features and awareness, but there also needs to be a lot more education when it comes to creating accessible forms themselves.

Kestrell

[...]

Okay,

So, I have Adobe Acrobat DC on the work computer with Narrator still, and there are forms requiring signature.
We can digitally sign these forms, using our government digital signature, but I still am unable to figure out where to place the signature on the form.

Claudia

I’m with you–just started a new job with a decent amount of PDF use. It seems like forms are pretty accessible, but I would definitely ask for the pro version if not already given to you.

Maybe we can tag team on things we figure out. I have to figure out how to trim pages today.

Christine

On Jun 10, 2022, at 12:15 AM, Claudia <claudiadr2013@...> wrote:

Hello, I started a new job this week and they do a lot with PDF files. On my previous job, I really had no issue with this. I used the latest version of Jaws but there are a lot of forms that require us to fill them out. Is there any way to reasonably do this using jars? Also, since Jaws has built in OCR, is there even a need for me to request for cro while, as another accommodation, at this point? Thanks.

Van Lant, Robin

Claudia,
Hang in there. Depending on how much of what you are currently dealing with will be ongoing actions you need to do versus a one time or only periodic task, don't be afraid to ask if someone, such as an executive assistant can come help you. I've had to do this with inaccessible programs or ones that just take so much time to navigate and figure out for the random times I need to do a task. You might also consider subscribing to AIRA, assuming you have a smart phone and reasonable cell service in your office. While they are unlikely to be able to connect to your PC to do the task for you due to firewalls, you can potentially accomplish some tasks with them by holding up the phone to your monitor. I started using this service when we were working from home and I couldn't just go ask a co-worker to read an inaccessible screen to me. If there are aspects of the training that you could do on your home PC, you can actually have AIRA use Team Viewer to take control of your computer and move faster to get the job done. If you are an ACB member, and maybe with NFB, you can get 30 minutes per month for $20, plus 5 minutes free every few hours. My tasks often take less than 5 minutes, so I don’t' even tap into my paid minutes for a while. If there is a month where I have a lot to do, I can buy extra minutes.

I'm feeling your pain with some new software at work that just feels like it's eating my confidence, energy and time. I've been thinking to find a coworker who will sit down with me to help me figure out the layout of this software and what is happening when I click various things. I think that having a sense of this would help me gain some efficiency. Again, I might use AIRA to do this.

Hug to you.
Robin

[...]

KeyCorp Public

KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. prohibits the use of texts or other unapproved messaging applications for business purposes.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <pamela.a.ekstrand.-nd@...>

Very well said, Robin.

Just a comment on training courses. We have to take mandatory security training courses every year, and some of those have the worst accessibility issues. I find that some of the administrative tasks, such as these training courses, performance self-assessments, etc. are harder to navigate than the actual tasks I need to do for my job.

In my current job, I have been working from home for about 16 years, and I agree with Robin that AIRA can be a big help if I am unable to figure out an inaccessible screen. I have also used their service when people send me screen shots that I cannot read. To me, it is worth having a monthly subscription to AIRA just to help get through these kinds of situations in a timely manner.

All the best to you, Claudia, and hang in there!

Pam

[...]

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association ("KeyBank N.A."). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Dacia Cole

Claudia, if you go into the fill and sign menu and select that for it to tell you to sign it, I think you’ll just enter your pin and it should place the signature where it supposed to go. At least that’s been my experience.

On Jun 15, 2022, at 8:15 AM, Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND <Pamela.A.Ekstrand.-ND@...> wrote:

[...]

AIRA is a good solution when things are inaccessible.

Justin

[...]

It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing,
copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received
this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer,
solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or
sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as
investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price,
indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein
is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change
without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for
its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of
the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative
employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member
FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association ("KeyBank
N.A."). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital
Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails'
in the SUBJECT line.