moderated PC Problem

Michael Munn

Hi all, I'm sending this email out because I experienced a problem on my computer. The problem that I have is that my computer won't turn off everytime when I use the normal way to shut it down.  I did everything I could to solve this problem but in the end, it was useless. Everytime when I attempt to shut down the computer,
it says shutting down on the screen but the fan and the LED light next to the power button still remain on. When I first experienced this problem I thought that I packed my laptop with the switch facing down the backpack. After I realized this, I immediately corrected how I packed my laptop and the problem still existed. The laptop will get very hot from the fan and the fan will remain running until the computer battery drains out.
Have you all experienced this problem before? If so, how did you fix it? I'm using an HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-ds0xxxs laptop with Windows10 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237 and Jaws 2021 latest update.

Please let me know if there is a way to solve this or not.

Thanks

Best regards

Michael H. munn

JAWS Certified, 2019

Member: Georgia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Georgia

www.nfbga.org

Member: National association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

Glenn / Lenny

I would suggest either a driver issue, or malware.
Glenn

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Michael. In Control>Power Options>Choose What The Power Buttons Do>Change Settings That Are Currently Unavailable, do you have Fast Startup turned off? Sometimes this can interfere with all components shutting down.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Error! Filename not specified.

Member: Georgia Association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind of Georgia

www.nfbga.org

Member: National association of Blind Students National Federation of the Blind

www.nfb.org

www.hadley.edu

John Covici

Can you shut off your computer by holding down the power button for
several seconds? Also, can you check your power settings to see if
something has changed?

On Sun, 17 Oct 2021 00:56:10 -0400,
Glenn / Lenny wrote:

[...]

How do
you spend it?

John Covici wb2una
covici@ccs.covici.com

Bill White

In my last message, I was unclear. They recommend that Fast Startup be turned off. When it is on, this can interfere with all components shutting down.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Everything is normal with in my Power settings and Fast Startup is turned off last time I checked.

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 12:53 AM michael H. Munn <michaelrbms@...> wrote:
[...]

Hareth

Hi,
If your computer contains it, this might work,
Go to Device Manager.
Find System Devices then Intel Management Engine Interface.
open its properties. then on Power Management tab.
Uncheck "Allow computer to turn off this device to save power.  then
tab to Ok and press it.
Also if you have an external device plugged in E.G USB stuff or mouse
ETC, unplugg them before shutting down.
TC

On 10/17/21, Michael Munn <michaelrbms@gmail.com> wrote:
Everything is normal with in my Power settings and Fast Startup is turned
off last time I checked.

[image: JAWS Certified, 2019]
<http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

www.nfbga.org <http://www.nfbv.org>

On Sun, Oct 17, 2021 at 12:53 AM michael H. Munn <michaelrbms@gmail.com>
wrote:

[...]

Thanks a lot and greatly appreciate it. Unfortunately my computer use AMD as it's processor.

Member: Georgia Association of Blind Students, National Federation of Georgia
http://nfbga.org
Member National Association of Blind Students, National Federation of the Blind
http://nfb.org
Student of: Hadley Institute for the Blind
http://hadley.edu

wrote:

[...]

Driver issues are often a problem with difficulty shutting down.
The fan spinning up makes me consider malware.
Have you done a thorough scan for malware, and have you installed anything recently?

wrote:

[...]

In this case try the last known fixes that I know.
1st, re install or repair the Adrenalin Software that specific to AMD
cpu's computers.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rsx-install
If it didn't work, look in device manager for any Intel devices E.G
wireless card ETC
If there are any, download the latest driver for them, and before the
upgrade uninstall the old ones. then install the newer.
And Try to uncheck the "let PC turn off this device to save power"
feature in devices one by one to see if one of them is the culprit.

wrote:

[...]

I don't have any advanced malware scanning software and I usually use Windows defender to scan my computer for viruses.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Munn " <michaelrbms@gmail.com>

wrote:

[...]

Have you updated it recently, and ran a full scan?
Sometimes malware will turn it off and you may not be aware that it is turned off.
Microsoft has some off-line scanners for download as well.
Glenn

wrote:

[...]

JM Casey

Hey Michael…

This may not be a permanent solution for you, but I wonder if it’ll work. I personally like these kidns o commands and their decisive nature and quick results, but you may prefer to shutdown throught eh gui.

Try this. Make sure everything you need is saved before this because you will get no warning.

Open the run dialogue box with windows key + r

Type in the following, without quotes:

“shutdown /s /f /t 0”

Your machine should shut down almost instantly. If it doesn’t, yaeh, something is definitely amiss.

[...]

hi Jm, I tried the method that you recommended, and it doesn't work. I was able to turn off the screen and the keyboard but I am not able to turn off the fan and the LED light.
Thank you for the suggestion and I really appreciate it.

Blind of Georgia <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

_www.nfbga.org_ <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

the Blind <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

_www.nfb.org_ <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

<http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

_www.hadley.edu_ <http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

<http://www.freedomscientific.com/Certification>

Glenn / Lenny

Also, seeing AI can read most screens like this.
The only thing you cannot tell with seeing AI is what is currently selected.
Glenn

[...]

Hi, Mario. The /f switch forces the PC to shut down, even if apps or programs are running.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net