moderated Outlook saga continues

kevin meyers

Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10, Outlook 2016 and Jaws 2021. After everything looked to be fixed with the various emails, now I get a message when shutting down saying applications are running. One is Outlook and the other is Jaws. Jaws is okay to leave running. I looked at the task manager and Outlook is running in the back ground. I stop the running by pressing the delete key. I then can shut down. If I go into Outlook again, exit Outlook and then shut down I get the message about it still running. I go back to task manager and it is in the background. I stop it. I then go to the desktop where is the Outlook shortcut and press enter on it. Nothing happens. What would cause Outlook to remain running even though I got out of it by pressing alt f4? Why would it not let me back into Outlook even though I stopped it from running in task manager? Thanks, Kevin

Curtis Chong

Specifically, what version of Outlook are you running? For example, I am running Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.14430.20234, which was just updated today, and I am not experiencing the problems you are. At some point earlier in the year, Outlook was not shutting down completely, but Microsoft provided an update rather quickly to fix the problem. Of course, I recognize that subscription versions are going to get updates more often than one would get for a retail version.

Appreciatively,

Curtis Chong

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 4:35 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Outlook saga continues

Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10, Outlook 2016 and Jaws 2021. After everything looked to be fixed with the various emails, now I get a message when shutting down saying applications are running. One is Outlook and the other is Jaws. Jaws is okay to leave running. I looked at the task manager and Outlook is running in the back ground. I stop the running by pressing the delete key. I then can shut down. If I go into Outlook again, exit Outlook and then shut down I get the message about it still running. I go back to task manager and it is in the background. I stop it. I then go to the desktop where is the Outlook shortcut and press enter on it. Nothing happens. What would cause Outlook to remain running even though I got out of it by pressing alt f4? Why would it not let me back into Outlook even though I stopped it from running in task manager? Thanks, Kevin

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

I find it is often  more reliable to shut down Outlook using Alt + F for the File menu and the pressing X for Exit instead of using Alt + F4.

Sent: September 30, 2021 3:35 PM

You should mention that this particular update is only available if you signed up as an Office Insider, it is what they call the "Current Channel" which used to be called the Monthly Channel. This level is not Beta, but it a version ahead to the publicly released version.

The version people have who are not Office Insiders is Version 16.0.14326.20238, it is also called the August release.

Just prior to the version you mentioned I was on version 16.0.14326.20404 which I assume is what people get soon as the September update and the version you and I have now will probably be the October update.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: September 30, 2021 3:51 PM
Subject: Re: Outlook saga continues

Specifically, what version of Outlook are you running? For example, I am running Microsoft Outlook Subscription Version 16.0.14430.20234, which was just updated today, and I am not experiencing the problems you are. At some point earlier in the year, Outlook was not shutting down completely, but Microsoft provided an update rather quickly to fix the problem. Of course, I recognize that subscription versions are going to get updates more often than one would get for a retail version.

Appreciatively,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2021 4:35 PM

Steve Nutt

Hi,

Alt F4 doesn’t close Outlook to my knowledge, it continues to run in the system tray.

I think you’d have to select Exit from the File ribbon.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 30 September 2021 23:35

Steve Nutt

I would agree with this. Besides I believe Alt F4, just puts it into the system tray.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: 01 October 2021 08:15

I find it is often  more reliable to shut down Outlook using Alt + F for the File menu and the pressing X for Exit instead of using Alt + F4.

Sent: September 30, 2021 3:35 PM

Thomas N. Chan <thomas.nchan@...>

It does close Outlook, just that it depends what outlook is doing. It might be checking emails or sending emails or whatever. you would need to eliminate the issue outlook not closing by looking by the addons and also the send and receive progress.
alt - j, s and then p.
if you stop all the tasks it's doing, then you hit alt - f4, outlook will close what it should.
if it doesn't, some addons is trying to do something or outlook is trying to close the pst or your mail files.

Regards,
Thomas N. Chan

On Fri, 1 Oct 2021 at 16:04, Steve Nutt <steve@...> wrote:

Hi,

Alt F4 doesn’t close Outlook to my knowledge, it continues to run in the system tray.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

kevin meyers

What is odd, I never had this problem until I got this new laptop. I always closed Outlook by pressing alt f4. Then I could shut down the laptop and never got the message. Is there a way for various programs not go to the system tray?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Friday, October 1, 2021 3:04 AM

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Curtis Chong

Kevin:

One thing I would certainly check is whether all of the “overhead” vendor-specific software is absent on your laptop. What we usually want is a generic Windows system with none of the product specific stuff which, by the way, is usually not accessible to begin with.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 8:07 AM

What is odd, I never had this problem until I got this new laptop. I always closed Outlook by pressing alt f4. Then I could shut down the laptop and never got the message. Is there a way for various programs not go to the system tray?

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

I don't find pressing Alt + F followed by X so difficult and it usually closes Outlook just fine.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: October 1, 2021 7:20 AM

Kevin:

One thing I would certainly check is whether all of the “overhead” vendor-specific software is absent on your laptop. What we usually want is a generic Windows system with none of the product specific stuff which, by the way, is usually not accessible to begin with.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Friday, October 01, 2021 8:07 AM

Hi,

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW