ideas/suggestions that anyone can provide!! Thanks Madison

Madison Martin

Hi all,
I have a couple of contacts that have multiple email addresses, and I'm
wondering, is there a way to have multiple email addresses in the same contact,
or do I have to create a separate contact for each email address? I'm using
Outlook 2013, Jaws 2018 and Windows 10 version 1909. Look forward to any
ideas/suggestions that anyone can provide!! Thanks Madison

Each Contact in Outlook can have as many e-mail addresses in a single contact as you desire (or at least up to 5, I've never gone past that).  It's been that way for years.

While one can elect to create separate Contacts on a per-email-address basis, I almost never do that.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Madison Martin

Hi Brian,

I just tried to put multiple addresses into one contact and it said that the email box should only contain one entry, what do I do?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: November 8, 2020 4:53 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Outlook contacts question

Each Contact in Outlook can have as many e-mail addresses in a single contact as you desire (or at least up to 5, I've never gone past that).  It's been that way for years.

While one can elect to create separate Contacts on a per-email-address basis, I almost never do that.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Madison,

The button ahead of the e-mail address is a split button where the first entry is just, "Email."  If you want subsequent addresses gain focus on the split part of that split button, expand it, pick Email 2, then you have a separate entry to put in the second email address.  Lather, rinse, repeat for subsequent email addresses.

Note, if you wish to have the "Display As" for each email be different, e.g., "Carly Watson - Work," and, "Carly Watson - Personal," then be sure to edit the Display As field right after you enter the e-mail address for whatever email address entry number you're working on before you move on to the next one for that person.

A similar situation exists for physical addresses, too.  That button is a split button and allows the entry of Home, Business, and Other addresses within a single contact.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Madison Martin

Hi again Brian,

I just tried that, and I was told that an Outlook addressbook entry can’t be used as an email address in a contact, what do I do? I’ve already removed the person’s other email address from my contacts.

Sent: November 8, 2020 5:14 PM

Madison,

The button ahead of the e-mail address is a split button where the first entry is just, "Email."  If you want subsequent addresses gain focus on the split part of that split button, expand it, pick Email 2, then you have a separate entry to put in the second email address.  Lather, rinse, repeat for subsequent email addresses.

Note, if you wish to have the "Display As" for each email be different, e.g., "Carly Watson - Work," and, "Carly Watson - Personal," then be sure to edit the Display As field right after you enter the e-mail address for whatever email address entry number you're working on before you move on to the next one for that person.

A similar situation exists for physical addresses, too.  That button is a split button and allows the entry of Home, Business, and Other addresses within a single contact.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Madison,

It expects you to enter the e-mail address, e.g., blah@....  If you don't know what the other e-mail address was, either search your e-mail for a message from that person to snag it from or contact them to get it again.  You clearly still have the address you're trying to enter in Address Book, or you wouldn't be getting the error message you are, and if you want it in Contacts and not Address Book it's going to have to come out of Address Book first.

I'm really confused as to why you'd have the same contact information in both Contacts and Address book.  It is typically in one, the other, but not both.  I can never remember whether it's Contacts under Outlook that is shared across all defined accounts or Address Book.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Madison,

I believe you have to create a separate contact for each Outlook e-mail
address.

At least this is what I do, and it seems to work fine. For any additional
e-mail addresses, I simply add something to the person's name so that I know
which address is which.

Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Sunday, November 8, 2020 5:46 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Outlook contacts question

Hi all,
I have a couple of contacts that have multiple email addresses, and I'm
wondering, is there a way to have multiple email addresses in the same
contact, or do I have to create a separate contact for each email address?
I'm using Outlook 2013, Jaws 2018 and Windows 10 version 1909. Look forward
to any ideas/suggestions that anyone can provide!! Thanks Madison

Madison Martin

I put in the email address. I’ve only ever used contacts, I’ve never used the address book, so why would it be in address book when I’ve never used it?   

Sent: November 8, 2020 5:37 PM

Madison,

It expects you to enter the e-mail address, e.g., blah@....  If you don't know what the other e-mail address was, either search your e-mail for a message from that person to snag it from or contact them to get it again.  You clearly still have the address you're trying to enter in Address Book, or you wouldn't be getting the error message you are, and if you want it in Contacts and not Address Book it's going to have to come out of Address Book first.

I'm really confused as to why you'd have the same contact information in both Contacts and Address book.  It is typically in one, the other, but not both.  I can never remember whether it's Contacts under Outlook that is shared across all defined accounts or Address Book.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

CathyAnne Murtha

The email selection button isn’t in the Address Book. It’s in Contact form.

CathyAnne

---
CathyAnne Murtha
Access Technology Institute
www.blind.training
cathy@...
(520) 955-6611

CathyAnne Murtha
CEO
Access Technology Institute, LLC
www.blind.training
cathy@...
Phone: (520) 955-6611

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> on behalf of Madison Martin <maddymartin@...>
Sent: Sunday, November 8, 2020 4:45 PM

I put in the email address. I’ve only ever used contacts, I’ve never used the address book, so why would it be in address book when I’ve never used it?   

Sent: November 8, 2020 5:37 PM

Madison,

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom,

Just as an FYI I have two Gmail accounts running under Outlook, but am only syncing the Contacts from one of the two to Outlook Contacts/Address Book.  I can use the synchronized contacts in Outlook Contacts/Address Book when composing new messages from either account.

And I just added a contact on the Google side that I know was brand new.  After I ran the sync it was in Outlook Contacts/Address Book and able to be used for new email messages no matter which account has focus when I start a new message.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 06:45 PM, Madison Martin wrote:
I’ve only ever used contacts, I’ve never used the address book, so why would it be in address book when I’ve never used it?  
-
Because Outlook is perverse in the way it stores contacts.

For the Google Contacts that I just Synced to Outlook, all appear in Address Book but none appear in Contacts.  And don't ask me to explain why, as I really do not know, as I haven't used Outlook as an email client on a daily basis in years but have it so that I can do quick testing (like now) when I need to.

If someone else can give a clear explanation of the Contacts versus Address Book split under Outlook I'd love to hear it.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

When you are in the email text field and press Shift + Tab once, your screenreader will say "Email" or maybe "Email Index". If you activate this button you can arrow down and select "email 2" and "email 3", if you arrow again it goes back to "email" which basically is the main email. If you have one email address already entered and do this, press enter on email 2 and tab you are again in a blank email field and you can enter a seccond email for this contact, then repeat with a third email if you want. I don't know how you can add more than these 3, I have never seen a way to do 5 as brian suggested.

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Madison Martin
Sent: Sunday, November 8, 2020 2:50 PM
Subject: Outlook contacts question

Hi all,
I have a couple of contacts that have multiple email addresses, and I'm wondering, is there a way to have multiple email addresses in the same contact, or do I have to create a separate contact for each email address? I'm using Outlook 2013, Jaws 2018 and Windows 10 version 1909. Look forward to any ideas/suggestions that anyone can provide!! Thanks Madison