Outlook 2019 how to get number of messages

Russell Solowoniuk

Hi everyone,

I’m running Outlook 2019 with the latest update to Jaws 2021. In the past I was able to get the message count by pressing Insert + Page Down. I am no longer able to do this. If I press F6 to move into the status bar, and then press the applications key, both “Items in view” and “Unread items in view” are checked. Is this a bug or has the JAWS keystroke to get this info changed? This is quite frustrating as this is important information to have.

Thanks for any help with this,

Russell

This was a very recent topic of conversation on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  It got split into multiple topics:
Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count
I cannot recall "which split" ultimately contained the answer, but there really aren't that many messages, maybe 25, in all 4 topics put together.

    ~ William Plomer

Afik Souffir

Hi,
How can i join this group?

Afik Souffir
Jaws certified, 2021
Www.freedomscientific.com/training/certification/

This was a very recent topic of conversation on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  It got split into multiple topics:
Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count
I cannot recall "which split" ultimately contained the answer, but there really aren't that many messages, maybe 25, in all 4 topics put together.

    ~ William Plomer

Russell Solowoniuk

Brian,

You are a Saint! The first link in your email had the answer. For some reason, there was a filter applied, although I couldn’t figure out exactly what the filter was. The solution was to press enter on “Filter applied”, and then tab to “Clear All”, and then tab to the OK button. I can now get message count and unread message count by pressing Insert + Page Down.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Be well,

Russell

This was a very recent topic of conversation on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  It got split into multiple topics:
Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

I cannot recall "which split" ultimately contained the answer, but there really aren't that many messages, maybe 25, in all 4 topics put together.

    ~ William Plomer

Richard Turner

afik,
You can find the subscription info here:
https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility

Richard

www.turner42.com

[...]

Moty Azrad

Hi Afik,

jfw@groups.io

Moti Azrad

Moti Azrad

Musician and Piano-Tuner

motiaz@...

azrad_moty@...

Israel

This was a very recent topic of conversation on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  It got split into multiple topics:
Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

I cannot recall "which split" ultimately contained the answer, but there really aren't that many messages, maybe 25, in all 4 topics put together.

    ~ William Plomer

Bill White

Hi, Richard. Afik wasn't asking for the addresses to post to and subscribe to the JAWS for Windows list. He was asking Brian for the post and subscription addresses for the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

This was a very recent topic of conversation on the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group.  It got split into multiple topics:
Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

[External] : Re: [office-accessibility] Email Count

I cannot recall "which split" ultimately contained the answer, but there really aren't that many messages, maybe 25, in all 4 topics put together.

    ~ William Plomer

Russell,

You're quite welcome.  I'm the odd sighted person who haunts a number of blind technology groups due to the fact that one of the things I've been doing for years is private tutoring of those new to using screen readers as a freelancer for the Virginia Department for the Blind and Visually Impaired Technology Tutor Network.  It is amazing how often precisely the same questions happen to get asked at almost precisely the same time on lists where the questioners are not mutually both subscribed to both lists.  It's almost eerie, at times.

I also often post the information regarding groups I am making reference to, but sometimes omit them, and did in this case.  So, here it is now:

Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group

Archive:  https://groups.io/g/office-accessibility/topics

Subscribe: office-accessibility+subscribe@groups.io

Post: office-accessibility@groups.io

Group Owner: office-accessibility+owner@groups.io

Help: office-accessibility+help@groups.io

    ~ William Plomer

On Tue, Jul 20, 2021 at 04:42 PM, Bill White wrote:
Richard. Afik wasn't asking for the addresses to post to and subscribe to the JAWS for Windows list. He was asking Brian for the post and subscription addresses for the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group
-
Indeed.  But what Richard offered was the direct link to the home page of the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group on Groups.io.  Every group's home page has a section, Group Email Addresses, where the subscription, unsubscription, posting, group owner, and help message addresses are listed.  Every Groups.io member should be able to go to one of these pages, when offered, and snag the email address or addresses for that group that they need or want at the moment.

I keep hoping that Groups.io members who do interact primarily or exclusively by e-mail will still use the resources that Groups.io gives them via its own webpages when it comes to things like this.  They have a search facility for all their public groups as well, and that can come in really handy at times, provided you don't get overly specific with the search criteria.  It's one of the few places where I start with the minimum number of search terms, and then add if needed to narrow things down, rather than using several at the outset.

I'll also mention again that Groups.io gives email users all sorts of options as far as what shows up in their inboxes that are not available on other mailing list services.  Have a read through, Controlling the Messages You Receive via E-Mail from Groups.io (docx), if you're interested in knowing about them.

    ~ William Plomer

Bill White

Hi, Brian and Richard. You are right. I referred to the wrong message. It was Moti Azrad who gave the information for posting and subscribing to the JFW list rather than the information for the Microsoft Office Accessibility Discussion Group. My error.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi Brian,

Yes, I’ve read many of your posts to the JAWS list over the years, and find them thoughtful and very helpful.

That is eerily strange that this topic would appear on multiple groups, but I’m sure glad it did! I may just subscribe to that Office group you mentioned, so thanks for that info as well.

Take care,

[...]

mike mcglashon

Hi guys:

I tried to follow the instructions from the links mr. brian provided;

Below is what jaws says to me when I press insert numpad 3;

Connectivity to your server. Connected
Zoom 10%

I even restarted outlook;

And still same message;

Also maximized the window and still same;

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

[...]

Hi Mike,

Try to go to the status bar by pressing F6, and once there press either the applications key or Shift F10, and from the menu that pops up, make sure “Items in view” and “Unread items in view” are checked.

HTH,

Russell

[...]

I did that and both of those are checked and I still got what I said

contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@...

[...]

Sorry, not sure how to fix that then.

Russell

[...]

Jeff Christiansen

Just my two cents

I think you are setup as an IMAP account

Use, Alt+V, for the view menu and select, change view

From the select view, use arrows to locate IMAP, press enter on IMAP and the Insert+NumPad3 will give you accurate info.

HTH

[...]

Jeff:

Thank you for the advice, however,

When I go to change view, the thing says imap messages selected.

And it still says connectivity to your server, connected zoom 100%

No matter if it is restored or maximized.

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

I think you are setup as an IMAP account

Use, Alt+V, for the view menu and select, change view

From the select view, use arrows to locate IMAP, press enter on IMAP and the Insert+NumPad3 will give you accurate info.

HTH

[...]

I’m not sure about this. I’m also using Outlook 2019 and I think something must have recently changed as a result of an update. I have changed none of my Outlook or Fusion settings and I can see the unread messages displayed on the status bar and whereas Insert + PageDown read me the status bar items yesterday, it is no longer reading it today. I’ll keep playing with different shortcut key combinations to get Fusion to again read the status bar items and will post back if I’m successful or anything changes.

Alan Lemly

I think you are setup as an IMAP account

Use, Alt+V, for the view menu and select, change view

From the select view, use arrows to locate IMAP, press enter on IMAP and the Insert+NumPad3 will give you accurate info.

HTH

[...]

I’ve restarted my computer this morning and Insert + PageDown is once again reading my Outlook 2019 status line correctly including the number of messages in the view and the number unread. I’ve noticed that Outlook acts flaky sometimes after Windows 10 updates and it often takes a bit of time and a computer restart after those updates before it’s back to normal.

Alan Lemly

I think you are setup as an IMAP account

Use, Alt+V, for the view menu and select, change view

From the select view, use arrows to locate IMAP, press enter on IMAP and the Insert+NumPad3 will give you accurate info.

HTH