Topics

moderated Outlook 2016: Is it possible to remove items from the addresses autocompletion list?

Delaunay Christophe

Hi all,

With Jaws 2020, I’d like to know whether there is a way to remove one or more items from the address autocompletion list of Microsoft Outlook 365.

With older Outlook versions like 2010, and older versions of Jaws, I could select one no more wanted address and type the <delete> key instead of the <tab> key and it was removed from the autocompletion list. But now, this does not seem to work with the Outlook 2016 app which was installed by my subscription to Office 365, and Jaws version 2020.2001.70.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. Have a nice day. Chris D

Ashleigh Piccinino

It doesn’t seem to work in the mail app either, as I’m wanting to get rid of some contacts I never use any more. Any help would be appreciated.

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

With Jaws 2020, I’d like to know whether there is a way to remove one or more items from the address autocompletion list of Microsoft Outlook 365.

With older Outlook versions like 2010, and older versions of Jaws, I could select one no more wanted address and type the <delete> key instead of the <tab> key and it was removed from the autocompletion list. But now, this does not seem to work with the Outlook 2016 app which was installed by my subscription to Office 365, and Jaws version 2020.2001.70.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. Have a nice day. Chris D

NFB Lab 4

Yes, just arrow to the one that you want to get rid of and hit delete.

Thom

It doesn’t seem to work in the mail app either, as I’m wanting to get rid of some contacts I never use any more. Any help would be appreciated.

Ashleigh Piccinino

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

With Jaws 2020, I’d like to know whether there is a way to remove one or more items from the address autocompletion list of Microsoft Outlook 365.

With older Outlook versions like 2010, and older versions of Jaws, I could select one no more wanted address and type the <delete> key instead of the <tab> key and it was removed from the autocompletion list. But now, this does not seem to work with the Outlook 2016 app which was installed by my subscription to Office 365, and Jaws version 2020.2001.70.

Many thanks in advance for any advice. Have a nice day. Chris D

Adrian Spratt

In Outlook 2016, the method that works for me is to set up a new message, then type the first letter of the email address I want to delete. I arrow down through the resulting list and, when I have focus on the address, I press the delete key.

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 10:14 AM, Ashleigh Piccinino wrote:
It doesn’t seem to work in the mail app either, as I’m wanting to get rid of some contacts I never use any more.
In the case of the Mail App, and People you have in what used to be called Contacts, you need to delete these from the People App.   Anything that remains in actual Contacts (where that's being used) or the People App (where that's being used) will continue to pop up in autocomplete unless removed from the respective repository.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Delaunay Christophe

Hi Adrian, Thom and all,

Thanks to all for your fast responses. So, since it works for yyou, I tried with different screen readers, in case it could be a problem with my jaws configuration.

Neither NVDA, nor the windows 10 narrator could solve my problem. Here is an illustration of what I am trying to do:

  1. I create a new mail by pressing <ctrl+n>.
  2. In the “To:” field, I begin typing the first letters of the address I want to remove.
  3. I press the down or up arrow keys one or more times until the screen reader speaks me the address I want. For Jaws or NVDA, which have braille support, I also can read the suggestion on my braille display.
  4. If I press the <delete> key, the suggested address disappears from my braille display and only the letters I typed remain in the “To:” field. However, when I arrow up and down to see more suggested addresses, the one I hoped to remove by pressing <delete> while the screen reader was saying it still appears.

So, is there an outlook configuration setting to change for this to work for me like it does for you please?

Many thanks. Have a nice day. Chris D

** CAUTION: This email originated from outside of the organization. Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and know the content is safe. **

[...]

george b

When you get the email you want to remove by typing it in the field you need to hit enter to put it in the field.

Then you need to left arrow to it is selected or red to you and then hit deleate.

[...]

Tim Ford

There is a shorter way to delete.  As you type and you hear an address you do not want, just press delete at that point, no need to hit tab or anything else.

Tim Ford

[...]

She said that did not work

[...]

Huh, I am using Outlook 2010, so I guess they dropped that keystroke option.

[...]

Sharon Ballantyne

Using JAWS 2020, Windows 10, Outlook Office 365, the strategies suggested using the to field, first letter entry, navigation to address to be deleted and pressing delete key does not work for me either.Any other ideas? It would be really helpful to be able to clean up address book.

Many thanks

Sharon B

[...]

Don Walls

Try pressing control and the number 3 to go to email contacts, arrow down or begin typing the contact to be deleted.  When you get to it, just hit the delete key, then control and the number 1 to return to your In folder.

Don

[...]

Pramit

Hi Sharon,

To clean up your address book you need to open the "People App" on your system and then delete the contacts from there.
Once deleted they'll not appear in autocomplete or else where.

Hope this helps!
Pramit

On Tue, Mar 10, 2020 at 11:03 PM Sharon Ballantyne <revsharon@...> wrote:

[...]

I played around with this a bit as well (I use Office 365) and it may in fact not be possible. I did also Google this and found the below article where it is explained that there are 2 groups of auto suggestions, “Recent people” and “Other”. It appears only 2 entries appear in the recent people group and then more in the Other group, Jaws does also announce this, and it further says in the article that you can only delete entries from the recents list, not the other list. Sighted people apparently have to hover over the suggestion with the mouse and then an X appears and they can click this to remove the entry. If a command for this exists in Jaws I don’t know it. Anyways, here is the article:

Manage suggested recipients in the To, Cc, and Bcc boxes with Auto-Complete

Best regards,

Sieghard

[...]

I don’t think this is what the original poster wants to accomplish. In Outlook you also get a lot of auto complete suggestions for addresses which are not even in your Contacts or the People app if that is what you use.

Unless you turn auto complete off in File > Options > Mail under the Sent category of choices, you can manually type somebody’s email address and 2 years later if you start typing said address it will still pop up as an auto complete suggestion. I actually really like this, but I could see how there are emails which you really may no longer need or want to show up, maybe past girl-friends or boy-friend addresses for example 🤣

You can of course easily clear the entire list in File > Options > Mail just next to where you turn this feature on or off, but that may also not be what you want.

[...]

Hi Sieghard,

Many thanks for this well documented response. I also read this article while googling to work around my problem and this is the reason why I finally decided to post here.

Since Jaws or any other screen reader I could try do not present this X in regard to each suggested address, I’ll do without it but I’d really like FS to add an access to this X as a new feature.

Reason: When you type the first letters of an address, you can only arrow up and down through 5 suggestions. You then must type further letters of the wanted address until the list of suggestions becomes less or equal to 5. This becomes a real problem while the list of suggested addresses increases.

Of course, I could erase the whole list at once in the outlook preferences as some of you explained but I don’t want to do it right now since in this list, there are addresses I often use and don’t want to search for them again. I also don’t want to create a personal address book on this PC for security reasons.

[...]

Hi George,

Here is what happens in the Outlook 365 app when I try to apply your advice:

  1. I opened a new message to perform the test by pressing <ctrl+n>.
  2. In the “To:” field of this message, I typed the first letters of an address I want to remove. I then heard a small jingle and the suggestion list was popped up.
  3. Since the address I wanted to delete was not the first one suggested, I down arrowad to it and typed <enter>.
  4. For sure, this address has been added to the “To:” field. Therefore, I typed the left arrow until Jaws said me it has been selected.
  5. At this time, when I pressed the <delete> key, this address was removed from my “To:” field.
  6. After also removing the remaining semicolon and extra space character from the “To:” field, I retyped the first letters I typed at step (2).
  7. I then arrowed down and noticed that although the address was removed from the “To:” field at step (5), it still remains in the suggested list.

I’d also like to thank the people who suggested me to remove these unwanted addresses from some address book but it seems that these addresses do not belong to any of my address books.

[...]

Don & Cher

Don’t press enter on the one you want to remove- just hit delete. HTH.

Cher

[...]

All I need to do, as Cher noted, is arrow down through the autocomplete list that pops up after I've typed a character or two to limit the list, and hit the Delete key on any item I land on that I want eliminated from the autocomplete list.   They disappear immediately, and if I open another compose window and start entering the same character(s) in the To, CC, or BCC fields those addresses that I deleted remain gone.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Sharon Ballantyne

I am not experiencing this full deletion as some others have noted. The “deleted” address entry is back in the list the next time I go to type in an address in the autocompletion options.

Running windows 10 latest Jaws 2020 and Outlook office 365.

I cannot find any settings or anything that appears needing to be checked or toggled or anything.

Glad to know some folks have found success.

Thanks for the help offered.

Sharon