Topics

moderated Outlook 2003 Using a Lot Of CPU Power

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hi, it's Annabelle.
Has anybody had this happen to them? I know this may be off topic, but this strange thing just started happening, where Outlook 2003 seems to think my CPU power is maxed out at 50% which makes the fan spin faster, and I'm wondering if maybe I should dust the inside of my machine with a Datavac. This has never happened before, and I know that I've been running outlook 2003 with the same Spamaid addin, so I know it has nothing to do with that. I tried turning off Microsoft Security Essentials, thinking it had something to do with that, but nothing has changed. I tried renaming "Outcmd.dat", but still nothing has changed. What do I do next?

Richard Turner

Which version of Windows are you running?

Richard

🖖 Live long and prosper

Has anybody had this happen to them? I know this may be off topic, but this strange thing just started happening, where Outlook 2003 seems to think my CPU power is maxed out at 50% which makes the fan spin faster, and I'm wondering if maybe I should dust the inside of my machine with a Datavac. This has never happened before, and I know that I've been running outlook 2003 with the same Spamaid addin, so I know it has nothing to do with that. I tried turning off Microsoft Security Essentials, thinking it had something to do with that, but nothing has changed. I tried renaming "Outcmd.dat", but still nothing has changed. What do I do next?

Annabelle Susan Morison

I'm running Windows XP 32 Bit on an old Dell Optiplex GX520.

<http://www.turner42.com/>

<https://nam02.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&data=02%7C01%7C%7Cee73033ffbd14961cdc708d770f1b0cd%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637102055657281041&sdata=DGJVInbOK9pQK%2BsZ2ro1kzkgIoEmsf83FUgdQ550NSA%3D&reserved=0>

Has anybody had this happen to them? I know this may be off
topic, but this strange thing just started happening, where
Outlook 2003 seems to think my CPU power is maxed out at 50%
which makes the fan spin faster, and I'm wondering if maybe I
should dust the inside of my machine with a Datavac. This has
never happened before, and I know that I've been running outlook
2003 with the same Spamaid addin, so I know it has nothing to do
with that. I tried turning off Microsoft Security Essentials,
thinking it had something to do with that, but nothing has
changed. I tried renaming "Outcmd.dat", but still nothing has
changed. What do I do next?

Glenn / Lenny

You should be able to run the ones on that, just get on-line to update them, or run your own off-line scanner.
Note, since WinPE runs only in RAM, the updates will be gone when you shut down.
Unless you download the updates to a drive.
There is a network scanner there so you can get on-line.
Glenn

[...]

Well, if MS did stop the updates, XP computers with the hack should get the
updates that were posted up to that stop date.
Glenn