From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: Saturday, October 16, 2021 7:33 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: OT, More On finding an accessible flip phone.

I haven't tried the page with NVDA, but I just tried to read Verizon's page of accessible phones, and it constantly brings up a chat window for chatting with a sales person, and I'm just trying to read the page.

I cannot even go back, I can only close that tab and re-open it, and I can't get more than a line read about their phones.

Anyone have recommendations on talking flip phones?

BTW, finally, when I was put into a chat window I didn't like, I took that opportunity to type in a complaint about their page with a screenreader.

Isn't that ironic?

Cohn, Jonathan

I found the same issue on my Mac with Safari, but was able to use the accessible page with Firefox. So, perhaps changing browsers will help.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 19:33, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:

I haven't tried the page with NVDA, but I just tried to read Verizon's page of accessible phones, and it constantly brings up a chat window for chatting with a sales person, and I'm just trying to read the page.
I cannot even go back, I can only close that tab and re-open it, and I can't get more than a line read about their phones.
Anyone have recommendations on talking flip phones?
BTW, finally, when I was put into a chat window I didn't like, I took that opportunity to type in a complaint about their page with a screenreader.
Isn't that ironic?

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,
I won't do business with those people.
Also, I believe that is that over priced under-powered phone, that is marketed to the Blind, and like all other specialty products for the Blind, it uses out-dated technology at a premium price.
Thank you for responding though, I do appreciate all information that I can look into for a new phone.
Glenn

Have you considered the blind shell classic 2 phone?  If you want more information about this particular phone, Call the people at,  AT guies.

I haven't tried the page with NVDA, but I just tried to read Verizon's page of accessible phones, and it constantly brings up a chat window for chatting with a sales person, and I'm just trying to read the page.

I cannot even go back, I can only close that tab and re-open it, and I can't get more than a line read about their phones.

Anyone have recommendations on talking flip phones?

BTW, finally, when I was put into a chat window I didn't like, I took that opportunity to type in a complaint about their page with a screenreader.

Isn't that ironic?

Glenn / Lenny

Thanks, I was using FF, maybe Edge will work better.
Glenn

I found the same issue on my Mac with Safari, but was able to use the accessible page with Firefox. So, perhaps changing browsers will help.

On Oct 16, 2021, at 19:33, Glenn / Lenny <glenn@...> wrote:

I haven't tried the page with NVDA, but I just tried to read Verizon's page of accessible phones, and it constantly brings up a chat window for chatting with a sales person, and I'm just trying to read the page.
I cannot even go back, I can only close that tab and re-open it, and I can't get more than a line read about their phones.
Anyone have recommendations on talking flip phones?
BTW, finally, when I was put into a chat window I didn't like, I took that opportunity to type in a complaint about their page with a screenreader.
Isn't that ironic?

Glenn / Lenny

That is if this the business run by Laz.
Maybe I'm wrong and Laz has nothing to do with AT Guys, and I was wrong, then if so, please excuse the mistake.
But I still would not buy a phone or other device made for the Blind when there are better options.
Glenn

[...]

Angel

There might, also, be a difference between flip phones, and flip phones with buttons.  There are also people, as am I, who prefer to use phones with orthodox buttons, rather than those with touch screens.  Too often, we blind people, and otherwise challenged people, who forget there might be people who are unable, for whatever reason, to use touch screens.  Are such people second class citizens?

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Avast logo

Glenn / Lenny

Well I think regarding physical limitations only, 99.9% of people can use a touch screen,
I could use one with my nose, my tongue, or even my toe if I had to.
So when folks say they cannot, it is not for physical reasons IMO.
But for me, I like the iPhone for apps, not for a phone.
I like the simplicity of a flip phone.
But if folks feel they cannot learn to use a touch screen, or just like me, prefer a flip phone, I get that.
But I find it hard to accept that some folks cannot use a touch screen, unless they have other disabilities other than physical.
But we are all different, and I look forward to always having options.
Glenn

[...]

dennis

i too prefer the orthodox phone. they are not easy to find. verizon only has 2 the last time i baught one. here is what i have.LG Revere® 3. good luck.

On 10/16/2021 11:30 PM, Angel wrote:

[...]

People have a rite to choose.  There are many reasons substantiating a persons choice.  I think this rite ought not to be abridged.  There is a long way between choice and necessity.  This is why it is fortunate there is now, and I hope in future, there will always be a fulfillment of the need for button driven phones.

Sent from Mail for Windows

[...]

Richard B. McDonald

Recently, I bought the Blindshell Classic 2.  I love it.  You can see more about it on the maker’s website, below.

www.blindshell.com

HTH,

Richard

Have you considered the blind shell classic 2 phone?  If you want more information about this particular phone, Call the people at,  AT guies.

I haven't tried the page with NVDA, but I just tried to read Verizon's page of accessible phones, and it constantly brings up a chat window for chatting with a sales person, and I'm just trying to read the page.

I cannot even go back, I can only close that tab and re-open it, and I can't get more than a line read about their phones.

Anyone have recommendations on talking flip phones?

BTW, finally, when I was put into a chat window I didn't like, I took that opportunity to type in a complaint about their page with a screenreader.

Isn't that ironic?

Maria Campbell

Some Blind people are not the only ones who like flip phones with buttons.  My sighted husband prefers just such a phone.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 10/17/2021 12:11 PM, Richard B. McDonald wrote:

[...]

Albert Cutolo

Good afternoon Richard and Maria,

Although I myself use the I-Phone, My girlfriend desires a phone with buttons and not a flat screen.  I’m thinking of sur.  prising her, by purchasing one of these phones for Christmas. As the old saying goes, too each his own

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Dennis,
How's the voice, and does it speak about everything?
Thanks.

[...]

the voice is good. i would say it speaks 98 percent of everything on the phone. the things it doesn't speak are some menues. those are ones i don't usually have to access though. when texting the speach is a little slow. mind you this phone is one i got in 2016. so i don't know if there is a newer version of this phone that might be better. it talks right out of the box though and i love the battery power i get. remember though it's a 5 year old phone. also it's only 3g so you only get talk and text on it which is all i am interested in anyway. hope this helps you.

On 10/17/2021 12:34 PM, Glenn / Lenny wrote:

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

What is the URL, when I Googled Verizon Accessible Phones Page I found one with Accessibility FAQ, but not sure if that si the one where you are having issues.