From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: October 7, 2021 06:45 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: OT, FaceBook Messenger Scam

Hi All,

Just thought I'd alert folks, and pass this on...

People's Facebook accounts are getting hacked and the hackers will contact their friends posing as your friend, through Messenger letting them know about a grant they received, and that there is an agent who will help you to get a grant too.

One way to find out if it is a hack, You can message the person asking for the answer to a question that only that person would know, that did not come up on FB, like the name of your cat or something, and they will be revealed as the hacker.

I was contacted by the hacker of my sister-in-law's account on this today.

Eventually they get to asking you for your personal information, and that is when I knew it was a scam.

So I looked it up on-line, and I found references to the same scam.

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

If nothing else, it is a way for someone to learn that their FB account has been hacked, and they need to go in and make a new and stronger password.
Glenn

Ah yeah, that’s been going on for a while. Just another barely competent scam. Well, I guess some people must be taken in or they wouldn’t bother, but I’ve never seen any of these that aren’t really transparent.

Just thought I'd alert folks, and pass this on...

People's Facebook accounts are getting hacked and the hackers will contact their friends posing as your friend, through Messenger letting them know about a grant they received, and that there is an agent who will help you to get a grant too.

One way to find out if it is a hack, You can message the person asking for the answer to a question that only that person would know, that did not come up on FB, like the name of your cat or something, and they will be revealed as the hacker.

I was contacted by the hacker of my sister-in-law's account on this today.

Eventually they get to asking you for your personal information, and that is when I knew it was a scam.

So I looked it up on-line, and I found references to the same scam.

Glenn

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Which they should have had to begin with and even better is to turn on 2-factor authentication.