moderated Optimal email setup for Windows 10 with JAWS

James Benstead

I always try to use JAWS with the full version of Outlook, and to configure it in a certain way (e.g. no preview pane). Is there an accepted optimal way to configure Outlook to work with JAWS? Or does anyone have any specific tips that make Outlook work well with JAWS?

Also, would anyone advise using the built-in Windows Mail client with JAWS? I have problems using tab and F6 to navigate through everything, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Jim

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

Edward Green

Hi Jim,

As far as Outlook is concerned: Open Outlook, press JAWS key+f1 twice quickly to bring up the Outlook help topic and select "Outlook helpful hints."

This will run through what you need to set/change.

Cheers,

Ed

On 2 February 2021 13:50:42 "James Benstead" <james.benstead@...> wrote:

I always try to use JAWS with the full version of Outlook, and to configure it in a certain way (e.g. no preview pane). Is there an accepted optimal way to configure Outlook to work with JAWS? Or does anyone have any specific tips that make Outlook work well with JAWS?

Also, would anyone advise using the built-in Windows Mail client with JAWS? I have problems using tab and F6 to navigate through everything, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Jim

--
Too brief? Here's why! http://emailcharter.org

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I’ve always had the reading pane set to off.

It used to be that malware/viruses could be launched if the reading/preview pane was on.  I don’t know if that is still true, but the reading email experience is much improved having that off.

I would stick with Outlook and not bother with Windows built-in mail client.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

[...]

Jim Rawls

Edward, I tried what you said to do, and it didn’t work. I found outlook on the list, and when I hit enter, nothing happened. So I tried My application key and still nothing. How do I find outlook helpful hints? Jim

[...]

Try hitting f6 after you hit enter on outlook.

That should get you into the pane with the links to the various help topics.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

[...]

Once you’re in Outlook and have pressed JAWS key+f1 twice quickly, the Outlook help topic will be highlighted in  the JAWS help system.

You then need to press enter, then f6.

You will land in the contents of the Outlook help topic and can select the "Helpful hints" from there.

Cheers,

Ed

On 2 February 2021 20:18:31 "Jim Rawls" <jazzpiano@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Ed, that's really helpful! For some reason I often don't think to check the JAWS help files, but they're usually pretty good.

I've still not figured out a way to work with the built-in Windows 10 Mail application that works consistently and well, I guess I'll try to stick to Outlook in the future.

Jim