moderated Opening PDFs in Word

Rahul Bajaj

Hi,

I have Office 365, Windows 10, Jaws 2021. I have recently started
opening all PDFs in Word, as I find this to be a very convenient and
smooth way of reading PDFs. To do this, I go to the context menu for
the concerned document, and then to open with and then select Word.

My only question is: Have you ever experienced any content getting
lost in this process? Meaning that the Word version doesn't contain
the full contents of the PDF? It has happened a couple of times,
randomly, to me that the word version did not contain a few words
found in the PDF. It has only happened 2-3 times till now. But I just
want to be sure that this is not a common issue, because I often worry
that I might lose some content if I open the document in Word.

Warmly,
Rahul

Rahul Bajaj
Judicial Law Clerk to Dr. Justice D.Y. Chandrachud, Supreme Court of India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Lori Lynn

I have had this happen from time to time. Weekly newsletters from my son's school usually drop the first page. I've learned the hard way that if something appears to be missing, try reading the PDF another way. My alternate is to read it on my Apple phone. That said, I've had the same problems there and have to go back to JAWS and Word. Good Luck.

Lori Lynn

[...]

Hi Lori,

Can you please share why this has happened for you? As in, was the
content that got lost pure and simple text, or was it different from
the content that did not get lost in some way?

Rahul

On 28/05/2021, Lori Lynn <grandma.lori@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Word itself warns you that there can be issues converting from PDF to Word for PDF documents not generated by Word itself.

While I understand the convenience, if 100% accuracy with regard to original content must be preserved, then use a PDF reader only to read PDFs when that's the case.

           ~ André Gide

Tom Behler

Rahul:

I have not had this issue, but I open PDF's in word in a different way.

I use control F12, which puts me in a dialog box, at which point, I find the file I want to open and go from there. It automatically does the pdf to word conversion which is really nice.

You might want to try this method and see if your results are different.

Tom Behler

[...]

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

Hi Brian/all,

The big issue with pefs which make it seductive to have them converted to word, is at least for me, the fact that in many cases but unfortunately not all, footnotes are rendered accessible at the right point. With a real pdf a blind person cannot access them, unless I am missing something, while a sighted reader can see them at the bottom of the page. If a blind person keeps reading and comes to them, and there are a handful of them at the end of a page, then they become irrelevant, as they can not be accessed on their appropriate spot.

                                                                Only a reason, albeit very important in my case for this conversion,

                                                                Cheers,

                                                                Takis

Word itself warns you that there can be issues converting from PDF to Word for PDF documents not generated by Word itself.

While I understand the convenience, if 100% accuracy with regard to original content must be preserved, then use a PDF reader only to read PDFs when that's the case.

           ~ André Gide

Lori Lynn

The PDFs from school are compiled by copying the various parts from different people at the school into one message. I don't have enough computer knowledge to sort it out past that.

As was previously stated in another reply Word does give the warning that some things might be different in a converted message. Several years ago I set Word as the default way to open PDF files, but I don't remember how I did that. I know there is a way in JAWS to read PDF files, but I've never played with it. Since the only PDF files I now get are the ones from school and my phone reads them just fine, I'll stick with that for now.

Lori Lynn

[...]

Brian, thank you. The warning, as I understand it, is only as regards the original format not being preserved. That is not a problem for me. I just can’t afford any text getting lost. And hence am wondering if any text does indeed get lost when this is done.

Warmly,
Rahul

Word itself warns you that there can be issues converting from PDF to Word for PDF documents not generated by Word itself.

While I understand the convenience, if 100% accuracy with regard to original content must be preserved, then use a PDF reader only to read PDFs when that's the case.

           ~ André Gide

Takis,

          Believe me, I can understand the appeal, but you've now identified the plusses and minuses, again.  I have said repeatedly, and will always say, that accessibility (regardless of exactly what type) is a workaround.  You are substituting one sensory modality (audition, in the case of screen readers) for vision, and when doing so you have to make some choices about how to organize things that simply don't have to be made for the sensory modality the thing being accessed was originally aimed at.  Shortcomings of one kind or another are inherent in this process, as no given sensory modality is 100% directly convertible to another in a way that's as freely and automatically accessible in the native one.

           I can imagine using Word for PDF almost all of the time and double-checking when you suspect something may be missing, as that's as close as you're going to get using a conversion method from PDF, not originally generated by Word (which is most of them).  The conversion itself is noted to be an imperfect process, usually one where formatting only is lost, though.  I'd have to be given specific examples of PDFs where content loss is suspected and play with them myself to determine as best I can what has actually occurred.  This isn't something easily, or accurately, described in the abstract.

           ~ André Gide

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 10:59 AM, Rahul Bajaj wrote:
I just can’t afford any text getting lost. And hence am wondering if any text does indeed get lost when this is done.
-
I have never had that happen.  But the way you stated things in your opening message, my impression is that, at the very least, you believe you have.

As I said in my immediately previous message, I'd have to have examples of files where that seems to have occurred, and open them in Word myself, to take a look at exactly what has happened.  (I believe you may be new here, and as such I'll mention that I am sighted.  I also have an extensive background with screen readers and other assistive technologies.)

           ~ André Gide

Panagiotis Antonopoulos

I can hardly agree more Brian,

                                                                Take care, Takis