From: kevin meyers [mailto:kman2020@wi.rr.com]
Subject: number of pages in a PDF
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 3:02 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use Adoeby Acrobat reader. Is there a way to tell the number of pages in
a PDF file? Is there a way to determine if the page is portrait or
landscape? Thanks, Kevin

Mike B.

 Another way:

From:
Brian Vogel
I do not know of a JAWS keyboard shortcut to announce page numbers, but I do have a workaround you can use.

If you issue the, Go To Page Number, command, CTRL + SHIFT + N, the number shown in the edit box when the dialog opens, and on which you have focus, is
the current page number in the PDF document itself.  Hitting Escape without doing anything leaves you exactly where you were, and you have your page number.
Brian

From:
Mario
In addition to Brian's work around, you could also turn on the JAWS
cursor to read a line of 1/52, 2/52, 3/52, or whatever number of pages
are in the PDF, reviewing line by line up towards the top of the screen
(in other words, above the top of the document).
Mario

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.

From: kevin meyers [mailto:kman2020@...]
Date: Wednesday, August 4, 2021, 3:02 PM
To: <main@jfw.groups.io>
Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use Adoeby Acrobat reader. Is there a way to tell the number of pages in
a PDF file? Is there a way to determine if the page is portrait or
landscape? Thanks, Kevin

Mario

Mike, just to make a point (and distinction), Kevin was asking to know the (total) number of pages in a PDF. Brian's suggestion only reports what page number the reader is on.

Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use Adoeby Acrobat reader. Is there a way to tell the number of pages in
a PDF file? Is there a way to determine if the page is portrait or
landscape? Thanks, Kevin

Rahul Bajaj

To build on previous comments, you could open the PDF, go to the last
page, and press control+shift+n. The last page number = total number
of pages in the PDF.

Rahul

On 05/08/2021, Mario <mrb620@hotmail.com> wrote:
Mike, just to make a point (and distinction), Kevin was asking to know
the (total) number of pages in a PDF. Brian's suggestion only reports
what page number the reader is on.

Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use Adoeby Acrobat reader. Is there a way to tell the number of pages in
a PDF file? Is there a way to determine if the page is portrait or
landscape? Thanks, Kevin

Rahul Bajaj
Senior Resident Fellow,
Vidhi Centre for Legal Policy, New Delhi, India
Rhodes Scholar (India and Linacre 2018)
University of Oxford

Mario,

I'm not in a position to check at the moment, but I thought that dialog told you the total number of pages, if you wait for it, as well.

    ~ William Plomer

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi Mario,

If you open the pdf with Google Chrome, right after the edit field to enter
a page number, there is a number there of the total amount of pages. And as
you read the document, you can use the JAWS cursor to arrow up and it will
tell you exactly what page the PC cursor is on. But, I am pretty sure there
are other work arounds.

Mike, just to make a point (and distinction), Kevin was asking to know the
(total) number of pages in a PDF. Brian's suggestion only reports what page
number the reader is on.

most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I use Adoeby Acrobat reader.
Is there a way to tell the number of pages in a PDF file? Is there a way to
determine if the page is portrait or landscape? Thanks, Kevin

Bill White

Yes, and if you go to the end of the pdf before you issue the CONTROL plus
SHIFT plus N command, that will be the total number of pages.

Bill White

billwhite92701@att.net

Mike, just to make a point (and distinction), Kevin was asking to know
the (total) number of pages in a PDF. Brian's suggestion only reports
what page number the reader is on.

Hello, I’m using the most recent versions of windows10 and Jaws2021. I
use Adoeby Acrobat reader. Is there a way to tell the number of pages in
a PDF file? Is there a way to determine if the page is portrait or
landscape? Thanks, Kevin

Bill White

Hi, Brian. The CONTROL plus SHIFT plus N command does not tell you how many pages are in the document. Besides that, if the document is not text, and requires OCR scanning through JAWS, the CONTROL plus SHIFT plus N command will not be available.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I'm not in a position to check at the moment, but I thought that dialog told you the total number of pages, if you wait for it, as well.

    ~ William Plomer

kevin meyers

Thanks for all the suggestions. The PDF file is on my laptop. The first time I went into it I was able to move up and down and Jaws read the text. The next time I went into it Jaws had a hard time reading the text. The PDF file is in the download folder. I did try pressing control/shift and N and it kept creating new folders. When I went into the PDF again I went into Jaws cursor when I was being asked how to open the file. Jaws couldn’t read anything. I did go into the PDF and pressed control end to move to the bottom of the document. I don’t know if it went to the bottom. I used the Jaws cursor and once again Jaws couldn’t read anything. Like the page is blank. When I wentinto the file the first time I never got the message of Jaws asking about using OCR to provide the text. Any thoughts of a setting that might clear this up?