Topics

Now, I've Lost Word from my Desktop

Shirley Tracy

Hi Listers,

It’s beyond my skills to understand why this happens, but Word is no longer showing up on my desktop. How do I get it back? It’s still in my computer, just not where I want to grab it.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Presuming we're talking Windows 10:  Adding Desktop Shortcuts Under Windows 10

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Timothy Appleby

Hi there. Here’s how to retrieve something from the ether, especially, an icon that’s usually on the desktop. If it’s not in the Recycle Bin, you can locate  it using the search field on the Start Menu, click on the item you have searched, E.G. “Word”, right click on it, choose Open File Location, Word should show up there, right click on that, arrow down to Send to Desktop as a shortcut, boom, you should have Word back on your desktop.

I hope this information helps.

Tim Appleby

It’s beyond my skills to understand why this happens, but Word is no longer showing up on my desktop. How do I get it back? It’s still in my computer, just not where I want to grab it.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks. That’s what I needed.

Have a great day.

Shirley Tracy

Hi there. Here’s how to retrieve something from the ether, especially, an icon that’s usually on the desktop. If it’s not in the Recycle Bin, you can locate  it using the search field on the Start Menu, click on the item you have searched, E.G. “Word”, right click on it, choose Open File Location, Word should show up there, right click on that, arrow down to Send to Desktop as a shortcut, boom, you should have Word back on your desktop.

I hope this information helps.

Tim Appleby

It’s beyond my skills to understand why this happens, but Word is no longer showing up on my desktop. How do I get it back? It’s still in my computer, just not where I want to grab it.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Barbara Sheinbein

One additional thought.  I have accidently deleted a desktop icon before.  I went into the desktop recycle bin.  I found it there and restored it to the desktop.  If you ar not familiar with this, I will give you some tips.

1.       Press enter on  the recycle icon on your desktop.

Press the letter for the word you are looking for.  Example might be M for Microsoft or W for Word.

2.       Once you find it, press either shift-10 or the applications key and up or down until you find restore.  Press enter.

Stay safe.

Barbara

Hi there. Here’s how to retrieve something from the ether, especially, an icon that’s usually on the desktop. If it’s not in the Recycle Bin, you can locate  it using the search field on the Start Menu, click on the item you have searched, E.G. “Word”, right click on it, choose Open File Location, Word should show up there, right click on that, arrow down to Send to Desktop as a shortcut, boom, you should have Word back on your desktop.

I hope this information helps.

Tim Appleby

It’s beyond my skills to understand why this happens, but Word is no longer showing up on my desktop. How do I get it back? It’s still in my computer, just not where I want to grab it.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Hi Tim,

Your instructions worked perfectly. Thank you so much. Word is back on desktop and it only says “Word.” I won’t have to rename it.

Cheerfully,

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Hi there. Here’s how to retrieve something from the ether, especially, an icon that’s usually on the desktop. If it’s not in the Recycle Bin, you can locate  it using the search field on the Start Menu, click on the item you have searched, E.G. “Word”, right click on it, choose Open File Location, Word should show up there, right click on that, arrow down to Send to Desktop as a shortcut, boom, you should have Word back on your desktop.

I hope this information helps.

Tim Appleby

It’s beyond my skills to understand why this happens, but Word is no longer showing up on my desktop. How do I get it back? It’s still in my computer, just not where I want to grab it.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

David Ingram

What caused this to happen.

Hi there. Here’s how to retrieve something from the ether, especially, an icon that’s usually on the desktop. If it’s not in the Recycle Bin, you can locate  it using the search field on the Start Menu, click on the item you have searched, E.G. “Word”, right click on it, choose Open File Location, Word should show up there, right click on that, arrow down to Send to Desktop as a shortcut, boom, you should have Word back on your desktop.

I hope this information helps.

Tim Appleby

It’s beyond my skills to understand why this happens, but Word is no longer showing up on my desktop. How do I get it back? It’s still in my computer, just not where I want to grab it.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Ward Dudley

It's been a ongoing problem for several months now.  Things just disappear from the desktop.

Ward

On 7/28/2020 11:09 AM, David Ingram wrote:
What caused this to happen.

Hi there. Here’s how to retrieve something from the ether, especially, an icon that’s usually on the desktop. If it’s not in the Recycle Bin, you can locate  it using the search field on the Start Menu, click on the item you have searched, E.G. “Word”, right click on it, choose Open File Location, Word should show up there, right click on that, arrow down to Send to Desktop as a shortcut, boom, you should have Word back on your desktop.

I hope this information helps.

Tim Appleby

It’s beyond my skills to understand why this happens, but Word is no longer showing up on my desktop. How do I get it back? It’s still in my computer, just not where I want to grab it.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

I was afraid it was me. I kept asking myself what I had done. But the thing is, Word was on my desktop, and the next time I turned on my computer, it was gone. It wasn’t in the Recycle Bin, either.

Shirley Tracy

On Tue, Jul 28, 2020 at 02:34 PM, Ward Dudley wrote:
It's been a ongoing problem for several months now.  Things just disappear from the desktop.
Just as a counter data point, I have had not a single call to this effect and complaints of same have not been making the rounds of any of the computer technical forums I frequent.

If this is happening repeatedly, and you are certain that you have done nothing to remove something, then if you are on Version 1909 or earlier and already have the ISO file for that version, or are on Version 2004 and need to download it, you could try Doing a Windows 10 Repair Install or Feature Update Using the Windows 10 ISO file

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Ward Dudley

Shirley,

Nope it wasn't you.  LOL  I thought the same thing.  Then I thought that something had gotten into my computer.  I did all kings of scans and even called Microsoft line but there was nothing.

Computers have to love them but sometimes GRRRRRRR!.

Ward

On 7/28/2020 2:55 PM, Shirley Tracy wrote:

[...]

Hi Brian,

I haven't had it happen since I have updated to 2004, yet but holding my breath.  LOL  I saw it on some tech list months ago when it started.  I don't remember which one now.  Getting old.

Ward