Topics

moderated Notification hell!

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hi all. Using JAWS 2021 beta 3 and the latest 20H Windows 10 build, I'm trapped in notification hell. I don't mind hearing notifications arrive while I'm working on other things. But these notifications are taking over my window focus such that my only recourse is to alt+tab away from, then back to, the application where I'm working. When the notifications appear, they can't be dismissed or deleted. Only moving them to the action center seems to get rid of them.
I don't have focus assist turned on because I worry I won't hear notifications, which I still want. I just don't want them hogging my entire focus and hemming me in.
By the way, this happens with Narrator and NVDA as well. It has also persisted through numerous clean Windows reinstallations and the past few insider previews. The notifications appear and cannot be dismissed or deleted. They only disappear by alt+tabbing. The action center doesn't seem to be the culprit. When I open it, I can tab to the notification list, delete or dismiss individual notifications or groups of notifications from specific applications. The only thing I cannot do consistently from within the action center is activate notifications. Space or enter only work sometimes; it might be one or the other, but more often, neither.
Since I know how to choose my battles, I'm willing to defer solving my notification activation problem if I could just get get these notifications to be voiced in the background without stealing focus. Is Focus Assist appropriate for this?
action center

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Charlotte, North Carolina
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist and Pedagogue
Ph.D. in Music theory
University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090

German A Fermin

Hi, I suspect that you have banners checked for your notification which you have to uncheck within settings. I don't remember if I had to do this for each application or if this has changed in the newer version of windows but if you go to the notification settings and hit enter on one of the apps that you have turned on, you should get a new screen with a few checkboxes. For me I go to notifications in settings and tab till I get to

Sort by: Most recent Button
Microsoft Teams Button" which happens to be my first app listed.. I hit enter there and I get this:

"Microsoft Teams Button
Microsoft Teams
Microsoft Teams Button checked
Home Button
Notifications Button
On
Show notification banners check box not checked
Show notifications in action center check box checked
Hide content when notifications are on lock screen Button
Off
Play a sound when a notification arrives Button
On
Number of notifications visible in action center Combo box" etc.

I took all of this from the speech history so I hope this helps. As you see, I have the showing banners options unchecked.

German

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Orlando Enrique Fiol via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, November 4, 2020 6:05 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Notification hell!

Hi all. Using JAWS 2021 beta 3 and the latest 20H Windows 10 build, I'm trapped in notification hell. I don't mind hearing notifications arrive while I'm working on other things. But these notifications are taking over my window focus such that my only recourse is to alt+tab away from, then back to, the application where I'm working. When the notifications appear, they can't be dismissed or deleted. Only moving them to the action center seems to get rid of them.
I don't have focus assist turned on because I worry I won't hear notifications, which I still want. I just don't want them hogging my entire focus and hemming me in.
By the way, this happens with Narrator and NVDA as well. It has also persisted through numerous clean Windows reinstallations and the past few insider previews. The notifications appear and cannot be dismissed or deleted. They only disappear by alt+tabbing. The action center doesn't seem to be the culprit. When I open it, I can tab to the notification list, delete or dismiss individual notifications or groups of notifications from specific applications. The only thing I cannot do consistently from within the action center is activate notifications. Space or enter only work sometimes; it might be one or the other, but more often, neither.
Since I know how to choose my battles, I'm willing to defer solving my notification activation problem if I could just get get these notifications to be voiced in the background without stealing focus.
Is Focus Assist appropriate for this?
action center

Orlando Enrique Fiol
Professional Pianist/Keyboardist, Percussionist and Pedagogue Ph.D. in Music theory University of Pennsylvania: November, 2018
Home: (980) 585-1516
Mobile: (267) 971-7090

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Hola, Jermán.

I suspect that you have banners checked for your notification
which you have to uncheck within settings. I don't remember if I had
to do this for each application or if this has changed in the newer
version of windows but if you go to the notification settings and hit
enter on one of the apps that you have turned on, you should get a new
screen with a few check boxes.
Ah! This is a great tip! So, are you saying that the notification banners are interfering with my work flow by usurping the focus and not releasing it until I alt+tab?
Orlando Enrique Fiol

One can also greatly reduce the incidence of notifications, period, by disallowing them for any apps where you don't consider getting them in a really timely manner to be important.

Settings, System, Notifications & Actions Pane.  Navigate down to the list under Get Notifications from these senders and toggle off every single one of them where you do not need or want a notification "in real time".  Almost everything defaults to ON initially, so if you've never visited this list in the past you'll likely be toggling a very great many things OFF.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

German A Fermin

Yes, I think the banners stay on your screen for a bit of time before they go away and disappear. For me, I want to hear them but not interfere with what I'm doing so I would rather review them in the action center at my convenience.

German

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Orlando Enrique Fiol via groups.io
Sent: Thursday, November 5, 2020 11:01 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Notification hell!

Hola, Jermán.

>I suspect that you have banners checked for your notification >which you have to uncheck within settings. I don't remember if I had >to do this for each application or if this has changed in the newer >version of windows but if you go to the notification settings and hit >enter on one of the apps that you have turned on, you should get a new >screen with a few check boxes.

Ah! This is a great tip! So, are you saying that the notification banners are interfering with my work flow by usurping the focus and not releasing it until I alt+tab?
Orlando Enrique Fiol