moderated notepad++

leonard morris

I am trying Notepad++ since Jarde isn't working with Jaws 2021. Freedom said when I called they are working to fix Jarde's issues.

Anyway,   Well I am trying to use this program and I have a couple of issues. You might be able to see one of my issues with this program within this email. How, do I keep numbers from being included in the document when I hit the return key.
Also, I do not get an alert to save or discard changes. What happens to the file in this case?
Lastly, I thoght if after initially using custom install and reinstalling the program using the minimum option the program would act more like the native notepad program with perhaps a spellchecker addition which I don't see here.

I have to revise one statement I made here. While, I do see the numbers in the notepad text, when I copied and pasted the text in this email the numbers don't show.

Richard Turner

Jaws has a handy tool built-in that is much more like NotePad than NotePad++ which is way over the top for a basic text editor.
Try: HJPAD.EXE
For me, using Jaws 2021 it is found in:
"C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2021\HJPAD.EXE"
If you like it, create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

It has a spell checker.

It amazes me that NotePad++ doesn't. A silly omission.

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

I am trying Notepad++ since Jarde isn't working with Jaws 2021. Freedom said when I called they are working to fix Jarde's issues.

Anyway,   Well I am trying to use this program and I have a couple of issues. You might be able to see one of my issues with this program within this email. How, do I keep numbers from being included in the document when I hit the return key.
Also, I do not get an alert to save or discard changes. What happens to the file in this case?
Lastly, I thoght if after initially using custom install and reinstalling the program using the minimum option the program would act more like the native notepad program with perhaps a spellchecker addition which I don't see here.

I have to revise one statement I made here. While, I do see the numbers in the notepad text, when I copied and pasted the text in this email the numbers don't show.

Glenn / Lenny

The nice thing though about notepad++, which I don't know if Jart does, is
that you can search for \r and \n carriage return characters to remove
excess blank lines.
Sometimes when I convert a PDF, I get spaces of as many as 10 blank lines
throughout the document.
Plus, you can find and replace all documents within a folder with notepad++.
There's lots of other good features for using it.

Jaws has a handy tool built-in that is much more like NotePad than NotePad++
which is way over the top for a basic text editor.
Try: HJPAD.EXE
For me, using Jaws 2021 it is found in:
"C:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\2021\HJPAD.EXE"
If you like it, create a shortcut to it on your desktop.

It has a spell checker.

It amazes me that NotePad++ doesn't. A silly omission.

Richard
"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but
what they become by it."
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

[...]

Most decent text editors will allow you to use markup language.
NoteTab Pro, Word, and perhaps Notepad++.
I do this with Word and NoteTab Pro all the times.
Word uses small letters, like ^p for hard returns, hwhile NoteTab Pro uses capital letters, ^P.
But, NotePad\++ is so much more than a basic text editor that if you don't need all those extra features, that is lacking a spell checker, then HJPad will do the trick.

I don't think NoteTab Pro is available any longer.

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.turner42.com%2F&;data=04%7C01%7C%7C35d3d309cd87419ff9d608d90e537830%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637556573919037731%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&amp;sdata=sbDemRJMyJg0wIHKDA4Wue8IxcYAj5li5IBl%2FnLan1U%3D&amp;reserved=0

[...]

I just uninstalled it as I don't need its crazy complexity without a spell checker especially.
And, frankly, I was a little irritated by their uninstall message.
I won't repeat it here.
And, I'm by no means a prude, but it is highly inappropriate .

Richard
- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

From: leonard morris [mailto:lmorris1953@gmail.com]
Date: Monday, May 3, 2021, 12:31 PM
To: jaws <main@jfw.groups.io>
[...]

.

leonard morris

Worked like a charm placing HjPad on the desktop for easy access! Greatly appreciated.

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 12:56 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
But, Notepad++ is so much more than a basic text editor
-
Amen to that!  It is really a tool targeted at programmers, for the most part, and it's an incredible tool for its target demographic, and can often be really confusing overkill for those outside it.

           ~ André Gide

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 01:39 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
And, frankly, I was a little irritated by their uninstall message.
I won't repeat it here. And, I'm by no means a prude, but it is highly inappropriate .
-
Then you did not have Notepad++ from the source, https://notepad-plus-plus.org/.  There is absolutely nothing inappropriate nor unusual about their uninstall dialogs.  I get asked if I want to keep my custom settings, and that's it.  It just finishes the uninstall without any fanfare.  (Just uninstalled v7.9.1)

This is a professional grade open-source tool that's been around for ages.  They're not pulling any stunts that would tarnish their reputation at uninstall.

           ~ André Gide

Richard Turner

Well, I’m very glad I uninstalled it then.

Again, it is way beyond what anyone would need if all they want is a basic text editor, but good to know I may not have had an official release, though in the fogginess of my memory I thought I got it from there.O wel

l.  It is gone now.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 01:39 PM, Richard Turner wrote:

And, frankly, I was a little irritated by their uninstall message.
I won't repeat it here. And, I'm by no means a prude, but it is highly inappropriate .

-
Then you did not have Notepad++ from the source, https://notepad-plus-plus.org/.  There is absolutely nothing inappropriate nor unusual about their uninstall dialogs.  I get asked if I want to keep my custom settings, and that's it.  It just finishes the uninstall without any fanfare.  (Just uninstalled v7.9.1)

This is a professional grade open-source tool that's been around for ages.  They're not pulling any stunts that would tarnish their reputation at uninstall.

           ~ André Gide

Glenn / Lenny

I think it is superb as a basic text editor, if I want a word processor, I use Word.
One thing I like about it as well is that I can open a Linux file in windows and it preserves the Linux document structure.
Glenn