From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 10:41 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: next door question

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

John Doering

They sent out a survey not too long ago.

I asked for better accessibility for using screen reading software.

Have not heard back.

Regards,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

Lori Lynn

It’s funny that this question was sent. It’s been several months since I last used the page. Back then I could find and do whatever I needed to do. This week I gave up at it completely. I’m using Windows 10 and JAWS 22.

Lori Lynn

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

Judy

Laurie, thanks, that lets me know it’s not my 2019 jaws, even with the most current it doesn’t work. I can reply to someone else’s message, but that’s all I can do. I guess they care about neighbors as long as they aren’t disabled. It really steams me, something maybe the NFB or ACB can get on. Maybe a law suit would give them inspiration. Judy & Libby

[...]

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

What keystroke do you use to open the combo boxes?

[...]

Steve Nutt

But have either of you contacted them? If not, how can you say whether they are interested or not?

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

Barbara Sheinbein

I did a good while ago.  I never received a reply.  I had to have sighted help in order to even send feedback.  Sigh.

Barbara

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

Judy

Because there is no way to contact them other than doing it online. I searched the web for any phone number and even went to get human.com, and they even said there is no phone number, no direct email, you have to fill out a contact form and pick a subject from a combo box that doesn’t work with jaws. And the fact that a few people on here already said they used to be able to do things on next door, as I also was able in the past, this is my conclusion. Their website now is totally inaccessible, nothing works unless you are just replying to someone else’s message. It’s a mess. If they cared, they would make sure it was accessible. This is an international social media platform…there is no excuse.

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

Judy

Thanks, I use the enter key mostly or the spacebar. Other suggestions are appreciated. Judy & Libby

[...]

Have you tried it with the virtual cursor turned off? I used to have to deal with a combo box on my online banking where I had to select the account I wanted to pay business taxes from and that combo box was doing nothing whether I tried enter or Alt + Down Arrow, but when I turned off the virtual cursor and tabbed to it I could easily select the account I wanted, tab out of it, turn the virtual cursor back on and complete filling out the form.

Should it also work with the virtual cursor? Of course it should, but if it can be done without then it may not be ideal, but it is also not inaccessible, just required a different technique.

[...]

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it.

[...]

Alt Down Arrow is the key you want for opening combos.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close