moderated next door question

Judy

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

Barbara Sheinbein

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Judy
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2021 10:41 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: next door question

Am I the only one who has noticed that Next Door has become more and more inaccessible. I used to be able to go to the home page, find a link for posting a message, pick the category etc. Now none of the combo boxes work for the purposes of picking your category so it won’t go through. Going to the help section and filling out a contact form is the same thing; none of the combo boxes work to choose topics. Has anyone had any success with this, posting a message etc? Using win 10 and jaws 19. Judy & Libby

John Doering

They sent out a survey not too long ago.

I asked for better accessibility for using screen reading software.

Have not heard back.

Regards,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

Industries for the Blind & Visually Impaired accepts no liability for the content of this email, or for the consequences of any actions taken on the basis of the information provided, unless that information is subsequently confirmed in writing. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Barbara Sheinbein
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 9:33 AM
Subject: Re: next door question

I agree with you.  I am not sure accessibility is of much interest to them.  Sad face.

Barbara

Lori Lynn

It’s funny that this question was sent. It’s been several months since I last used the page. Back then I could find and do whatever I needed to do. This week I gave up at it completely. I’m using Windows 10 and JAWS 22.

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Judy

Laurie, thanks, that lets me know it’s not my 2019 jaws, even with the most current it doesn’t work. I can reply to someone else’s message, but that’s all I can do. I guess they care about neighbors as long as they aren’t disabled. It really steams me, something maybe the NFB or ACB can get on. Maybe a law suit would give them inspiration. Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Lori Lynn
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 10:44 AM

It’s funny that this question was sent. It’s been several months since I last used the page. Back then I could find and do whatever I needed to do. This week I gave up at it completely. I’m using Windows 10 and JAWS 22.

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

What keystroke do you use to open the combo boxes?

Sent: October 27, 2021 9:06 AM

Laurie, thanks, that lets me know it’s not my 2019 jaws, even with the most current it doesn’t work. I can reply to someone else’s message, but that’s all I can do. I guess they care about neighbors as long as they aren’t disabled. It really steams me, something maybe the NFB or ACB can get on. Maybe a law suit would give them inspiration. Judy & Libby

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Steve Nutt

But have either of you contacted them? If not, how can you say whether they are interested or not?

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 27 October 2021 15:33

Barbara

Barbara Sheinbein

I did a good while ago.  I never received a reply.  I had to have sighted help in order to even send feedback.  Sigh.

Barbara

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 4:46 PM

But have either of you contacted them? If not, how can you say whether they are interested or not?

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Barbara

Judy

Because there is no way to contact them other than doing it online. I searched the web for any phone number and even went to get human.com, and they even said there is no phone number, no direct email, you have to fill out a contact form and pick a subject from a combo box that doesn’t work with jaws. And the fact that a few people on here already said they used to be able to do things on next door, as I also was able in the past, this is my conclusion. Their website now is totally inaccessible, nothing works unless you are just replying to someone else’s message. It’s a mess. If they cared, they would make sure it was accessible. This is an international social media platform…there is no excuse.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 5:46 PM

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Barbara

Judy

Thanks, I use the enter key mostly or the spacebar. Other suggestions are appreciated. Judy & Libby

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 12:30 PM

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Have you tried it with the virtual cursor turned off? I used to have to deal with a combo box on my online banking where I had to select the account I wanted to pay business taxes from and that combo box was doing nothing whether I tried enter or Alt + Down Arrow, but when I turned off the virtual cursor and tabbed to it I could easily select the account I wanted, tab out of it, turn the virtual cursor back on and complete filling out the form.

Should it also work with the virtual cursor? Of course it should, but if it can be done without then it may not be ideal, but it is also not inaccessible, just required a different technique.

Sent: October 27, 2021 3:25 PM

Because there is no way to contact them other than doing it online. I searched the web for any phone number and even went to get human.com, and they even said there is no phone number, no direct email, you have to fill out a contact form and pick a subject from a combo box that doesn’t work with jaws. And the fact that a few people on here already said they used to be able to do things on next door, as I also was able in the past, this is my conclusion. Their website now is totally inaccessible, nothing works unless you are just replying to someone else’s message. It’s a mess. If they cared, they would make sure it was accessible. This is an international social media platform…there is no excuse.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Barbara

Judy

Thanks for the tip. I’ll try it.

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 8:30 PM

Have you tried it with the virtual cursor turned off? I used to have to deal with a combo box on my online banking where I had to select the account I wanted to pay business taxes from and that combo box was doing nothing whether I tried enter or Alt + Down Arrow, but when I turned off the virtual cursor and tabbed to it I could easily select the account I wanted, tab out of it, turn the virtual cursor back on and complete filling out the form.

Should it also work with the virtual cursor? Of course it should, but if it can be done without then it may not be ideal, but it is also not inaccessible, just required a different technique.

Sent: October 27, 2021 3:25 PM

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Barbara

Steve Nutt

Alt Down Arrow is the key you want for opening combos.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 27 October 2021 23:30

Thanks, I use the enter key mostly or the spacebar. Other suggestions are appreciated. Judy & Libby

Lori Lynn

Barbara

As I said, you should try Alt + Down arrow which sometimes works better for opening combo boxes. I deal with a few where if I use Enter and then arrow down it selects the item and then closes the combo box and if I want to select an item especially when there are many selections this makes it very tedious, but if I use Alt + Down arrow I can arrow down through all the options until I find the one I want and then I can select it by pressing enter.

Also, as I explained in my last email, there are some combo boxes where I can't do anything unless I turn off the virtual cursor, tab until I get to it which means you may have to tab a lot depending where on the page it is and then I can interact with it and turn on the virtual cursor again afterwards.

Best regards,

Sieghard

Sent: October 27, 2021 3:30 PM

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Adrian Spratt

To add to this list of how to handle combo boxes, I’ve also found that pressing alt-down arrow without first pressing enter works on some. Then, after arrowing through the choices, instead of pressing enter, I need to press the PC cursor key twice to preserve my selection and escape out of the box. In such cases, enter sends me somewhere else on the page while failing to make my selection.

There’s no longer a single solution to these controls.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 11:49 AM

As I said, you should try Alt + Down arrow which sometimes works better for opening combo boxes. I deal with a few where if I use Enter and then arrow down it selects the item and then closes the combo box and if I want to select an item especially when there are many selections this makes it very tedious, but if I use Alt + Down arrow I can arrow down through all the options until I find the one I want and then I can select it by pressing enter.

Also, as I explained in my last email, there are some combo boxes where I can't do anything unless I turn off the virtual cursor, tab until I get to it which means you may have to tab a lot depending where on the page it is and then I can interact with it and turn on the virtual cursor again afterwards.

Best regards,

Sieghard

Sent: October 27, 2021 3:30 PM

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Richard B. McDonald

I had to leave NextDoor a couple of years ago because it became very inaccessible.  Prior to that change, it was mostly accessible.  This really sucks because it was a fun, useful and important app.

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 9:06 AM

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Out of curiosity I just signed up for Next Door and while there aren't that many people on there for my small community, there are some and I was able to read their posts, I was also able to start a new message and since I noticed one name of a person I knew I selected him and that worked fine.

I also went into the Help section under My Account and after I searched for "Accessibility" and this produced no results I selected the "Contact Us" option.

I was then presented with a form where I had to select a category, what my request was about, i.e. Feature request/improvement and then I could fill in my email, name, address, a subject and my message.

I was able to access the two combo boxes to select the topic and such without any issues, but I had to use Alt + Down arrow to open them and arrow through the choices since Enter did not work.

I just wrote that I am new and visually impaired using a screenreader and that in a recent discussion on a mailing list many people complained about the accessibility of the Next Door website and I then included maybe half a dozen messages from the thread where people were saying how they found accessibility lacking and that some left the platform.

As I said, so far I find no major issues, but then of course I haven't done much on the site. I would like to preface my next comment by saying I don't mean to insult anybody, but I do sometimes find that people say a site is not accessible when in fact it is and they just don't know how to leverage the functions of their screenreader to their fullest potential. That does not mean improvements shouldn't be made, but Jaws officially says that Alt _+ Down Arrow opens a combo box and while Enter may work on many, if a combo box only responds to Alt + Down Arrow and somebody doesn't know this it does not make said combo box or webpage inaccessible.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard B. McDonald
Sent: October 28, 2021 11:25 AM

I had to leave NextDoor a couple of years ago because it became very inaccessible.  Prior to that change, it was mostly accessible.  This really sucks because it was a fun, useful and important app.

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Judy

Steve, no insult taken on my part here. I was trained by my sighted boss at work years back, who knew enough to teach someone who had never used a computer in their life. I never went through a regular computer training class. That’s why this list is so good, as I am not familiar with the alt down arrow for opening combo boxes. I have picked up more things over the years for sure. Thanks for that update and how you accessed it, and I’m glad you included what you did because there are obviously others having problems who probably are more savvy than I am, and it shouldn’t be so hard. Please let us know ifyou receive a reply from them. Thanks again. Judy & Libby

Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 3:08 PM

Out of curiosity I just signed up for Next Door and while there aren't that many people on there for my small community, there are some and I was able to read their posts, I was also able to start a new message and since I noticed one name of a person I knew I selected him and that worked fine.

I also went into the Help section under My Account and after I searched for "Accessibility" and this produced no results I selected the "Contact Us" option.

I was then presented with a form where I had to select a category, what my request was about, i.e. Feature request/improvement and then I could fill in my email, name, address, a subject and my message.

I was able to access the two combo boxes to select the topic and such without any issues, but I had to use Alt + Down arrow to open them and arrow through the choices since Enter did not work.

I just wrote that I am new and visually impaired using a screenreader and that in a recent discussion on a mailing list many people complained about the accessibility of the Next Door website and I then included maybe half a dozen messages from the thread where people were saying how they found accessibility lacking and that some left the platform.

As I said, so far I find no major issues, but then of course I haven't done much on the site. I would like to preface my next comment by saying I don't mean to insult anybody, but I do sometimes find that people say a site is not accessible when in fact it is and they just don't know how to leverage the functions of their screenreader to their fullest potential. That does not mean improvements shouldn't be made, but Jaws officially says that Alt _+ Down Arrow opens a combo box and while Enter may work on many, if a combo box only responds to Alt + Down Arrow and somebody doesn't know this it does not make said combo box or webpage inaccessible.

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Hi Judy,

I don't want to belittle your computer knowledge or accomplishments in your job, but I think it is very important nowadays that if you want to participate fully on social media sites, do the best you can at your job and all in all make your life easier it is more important than ever to continuously educate yourself and especially to learn your screenreader of choice whether that is Jaws or NVDA, inside out.

If you do use Jaws as you are, you have a lot of resources at your disposal from the Jaws Command Search if you are trying to do something and can't recall the keyboard shortcut to the Jaws help Topics and the Training section also accessed through Jaws menu > Help and which in turn leads to the Jaws training website, SurfsUp. .

Sent: October 28, 2021 2:16 PM

Steve, no insult taken on my part here. I was trained by my sighted boss at work years back, who knew enough to teach someone who had never used a computer in their life. I never went through a regular computer training class. That’s why this list is so good, as I am not familiar with the alt down arrow for opening combo boxes. I have picked up more things over the years for sure. Thanks for that update and how you accessed it, and I’m glad you included what you did because there are obviously others having problems who probably are more savvy than I am, and it shouldn’t be so hard. Please let us know ifyou receive a reply from them. Thanks again. Judy & Libby

Lori Lynn

Barbara

Judy

Thank you, no belittlement taken! Judy

Sent: Friday, October 29, 2021 1:30 AM

Hi Judy,

I don't want to belittle your computer knowledge or accomplishments in your job, but I think it is very important nowadays that if you want to participate fully on social media sites, do the best you can at your job and all in all make your life easier it is more important than ever to continuously educate yourself and especially to learn your screenreader of choice whether that is Jaws or NVDA, inside out.

If you do use Jaws as you are, you have a lot of resources at your disposal from the Jaws Command Search if you are trying to do something and can't recall the keyboard shortcut to the Jaws help Topics and the Training section also accessed through Jaws menu > Help and which in turn leads to the Jaws training website, SurfsUp. .

Sent: October 28, 2021 2:16 PM

Lori Lynn

Barbara