moderated new n quick navigation in Outlook messages is amazing

Sharon S

Hi, I just tried it on some messages in Thunderbird and it didn’t work. Not sure if they were text or html though. I don’t know how to check that. It is working fine for me in Outlook though.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Saturday, 31 July 2021 11:05 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: new n quick navigation in Outlook messages is amazing

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 07:15 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:

so I don’t know if it will work in another email client.

-
I would be surprised if it did not.  This has to be using the HTML structure, with lots of emphasis on block quote arrangement, to parse the message.  That should be the same no matter what email client is being used.  That is unless FS has actually limited invocation to be in Outlook only, but it makes little sense to me that they would.

You could test this theory out if you know you have a long, multi-quoted message where the exchange was conducted entirely in plain text.  If it still works, then I have to be wrong, or at least only partially correct and there's a way the algorithm recognizes the differing formats and parses accordingly.

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

Simple really, those keystrokes don’t work in the JAWS virtual buffer.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

Sent: 30 July 2021 17:54

Robin,

What follows is not meant to be critical in any way, but just to clarify things for me.

Can you tell me how this new command differs from the Outlook built-in keyboard shortcuts, when you're reading a message in its own window that's part of a conversation (AKA thread), where CTRL + < shoots you to the previous item in the thread, and CTRL + > shoots you to the next item in a thread, in the same reading window?
--

It is the function of creative men to perceive the relations between thoughts, or things, or forms of expression that may seem utterly different, and to be able to combine them into some new forms--the power to connect the seemingly unconnected.

~ William Plomer

Steve Nutt

My guess is it is in the JAWS Outlook script, so it won’t work in just any app with a virtual buffer.

Besides, you wouldn’t want N to be doing that on a website.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sharon S
Sent: 31 July 2021 07:51

Hi, I just tried it on some messages in Thunderbird and it didn’t work. Not sure if they were text or html though. I don’t know how to check that. It is working fine for me in Outlook though.

From Shaz.

Canberra, Australia.

Sent: Saturday, 31 July 2021 11:05 AM

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 07:15 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:

so I don’t know if it will work in another email client.

-
I would be surprised if it did not.  This has to be using the HTML structure, with lots of emphasis on block quote arrangement, to parse the message.  That should be the same no matter what email client is being used.  That is unless FS has actually limited invocation to be in Outlook only, but it makes little sense to me that they would.

You could test this theory out if you know you have a long, multi-quoted message where the exchange was conducted entirely in plain text.  If it still works, then I have to be wrong, or at least only partially correct and there's a way the algorithm recognizes the differing formats and parses accordingly.

--

~ William Plomer