moderated new n quick navigation in Outlook messages is amazing

Van Lant, Robin

I finally got the July release installed on my work PC today (jumping from the Feb release).  I’d also just learned about the N quick navigation keystroke within messages.  This is so amazing!  If you haven’t heard about it, pressing “N” while in an open message that has a back and forth with others allows you to jump to the top of each previous message in the thread.  I am so excited about how helpful this will be here at work, where conversation threadss get long, especially when people have long signature files or many others were copied on the message.

Just wanted to be sure others saw this feature.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Robin,

What follows is not meant to be critical in any way, but just to clarify things for me.

Can you tell me how this new command differs from the Outlook built-in keyboard shortcuts, when you're reading a message in its own window that's part of a conversation (AKA thread), where CTRL + < shoots you to the previous item in the thread, and CTRL + > shoots you to the next item in a thread, in the same reading window?

    ~ William Plomer

Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...>

Wow yes! Its so nice feature! Especially at work.

Thanks eric and all at FS for this.

I finally got the July release installed on my work PC today (jumping from the Feb release).  I’d also just learned about the N quick navigation keystroke within messages.  This is so amazing!  If you haven’t heard about it, pressing “N” while in an open message that has a back and forth with others allows you to jump to the top of each previous message in the thread.  I am so excited about how helpful this will be here at work, where conversation threadss get long, especially when people have long signature files or many others were copied on the message.

Just wanted to be sure others saw this feature.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Afik Souffir <afik.souffir@...>

Hi

N lets you jump right to the next message in the conversation, without having to move links, signatures etc….

What follows is not meant to be critical in any way, but just to clarify things for me.

Can you tell me how this new command differs from the Outlook built-in keyboard shortcuts, when you're reading a message in its own window that's part of a conversation (AKA thread), where CTRL + < shoots you to the previous item in the thread, and CTRL + > shoots you to the next item in a thread, in the same reading window?

    ~ William Plomer

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Brian,

I’m not robin, but I just tried Control + > and Control + Less in a relatively long thread I have with my accountant regarding the 2020 year end for my company and first of all while this may not be an issue visually, there is a lot of extra babbling going on with Jaws when using Control + > whereas when I just press N it goes to the beginning of the next message and starts reading it.

I also noticed that Control + Greater often skips many messages in the thread whereas the Jaws quick nav key does not. Maybe Control + Greater does this, but it seems that the way Vispero has implemented this does it more nicely for a Jaws user.

You could say the same thing for Windows Key + B and Jaws Key + F11, both let you access the system tray, the first is a Windows shortcut and the second is a Jaws shortcut. I typically use Jaws Key + F11 because I can then use first letter navigation and I simply find it a more convenient way to do this.

Sent: July 30, 2021 9:54 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

Robin,

What follows is not meant to be critical in any way, but just to clarify things for me.

Can you tell me how this new command differs from the Outlook built-in keyboard shortcuts, when you're reading a message in its own window that's part of a conversation (AKA thread), where CTRL + < shoots you to the previous item in the thread, and CTRL + > shoots you to the next item in a thread, in the same reading window?

    ~ William Plomer

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Brian,
The difference is that the Jaws command works in a given message where all the replies are in that one now very large message.
This is not using threading or Conversations as Outlook calls it.
You do not include the prior message in your replies; so your messages do not need this feature. Only messages where everyone is including the quoted message at the bottom will this Jaws feature be a huge blessing.
HTH,

Richard

www.turner42.com

Sent: July 30, 2021 9:54 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 01:13 PM, Richard Turner wrote:
The difference is that the Jaws command works in a given message where all the replies are in that one now very large message.
This is not using threading or Conversations as Outlook calls it.
-
Richard,

Thanks.  This is exactly the clarification I needed.

At one time (and this is something that was a sighted versus blind community convention split, in my observation), it was most common for those replying to do one of  several things, depending on what the situation called for:

1.  What I did in this very message - Top quoting a brief snippet to make clear exactly who and what is being responded to in a multi-person topic, but removing all else.

2. Doing a quote-response-quote-response interspersing style when multiple separate points are being responded to, sometimes in reply to multiple participants in the same message.

3. A naked reply, with all previous content removed, when there can be no doubt based on the thread/conversation flow who and what is being replied/responded to.

The kind of massive bottom quoting that I characteristically see in the blind email lists just was not (and still is not, generally) done in sighted email exchanges (for lack of a better way of putting it).  The presence of every message in an ongoing topic used to drive me almost to distraction, but I've gotten used to it.  But it still makes searching archives to find the actual original instance of a given message hellish when that content is quoted and quoted and quoted again and again, in its entirety, and I'm often looking for the original in a group archive so I can give a direct link to that message, and only that message.

I wish

    ~ William Plomer

That last message sent before I finished.

I wish, and I know that it won't be granted, because the custom is what the custom is, that trimming all bottom quoted material before adding a reply would become common custom on these lists when it's entirely clear what and who the reply is to.  It's just so much cleaner and doing a CTRL + A, then hitting a backspace to accomplish it isn't difficult.

    ~ William Plomer

Van Lant, Robin

Brian,

Here at work, it is very common for people to hit reply or reply all on a topic and, after some banter, the email body is really long with the history of the chatter.   If I jump into a conversation that is in process, this new feature will allow me to quickly go back through the conversation chain in that message to see what I missed thus far. This can be particularly helpful is you are suddenly brought into an email discussion partway through.  That is. Two colleagues might banter about a topic, then decide to copy me on it and I then need to read back through to see what was discussed before I was brought into the conversation.  I’m hoping this will work, even if someone is just forwarding me an email.  As of late, I’ve been forwarded messages that have a long list of recipients included in the forwarded headers.  That can be important for me to know who got the original message, but has been a pain to skip over with JAWS to get to the email contact.

Like you, I originally thought the new JAWS feature was to help with threaded conversations and I didn’t’ see the value. I was so glad Eric demonstrated it on a podcast so I understood what they were really getting at.

[...]

Ekstrand, Pamela A. -ND

Robin,

Thank you for this.  I too get a lot of very long email chains at work, and it looks like this may be of great help.

Pam

[...]

I'm to work at Strauss-group, and get a lots of emails there are very long.

This is nice feature.!!!!

[...]

Dan Yates

Hey Robin, thank you for sharing this! This type of shortcut is long overdue and I’m pleased about it!

Dan

[...]

Tom Behler

Robin:

Thanks for letting us know about the quick key navigation feature in e-mails.

I guess I missed it when reading through the release notes for the latest Jaws update.

Will come in very handy for sure.

Tom Behler

[...]

I use Outlook e-mail with Microsoft 365 here.

Does this work with other e-mail clients as well?

I would suppose it does, since this seems to be a Jaws command.

Tom Behler

[...]

Jason White

On 30/7/21 1:44 pm, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io wrote:
Here at work, it is very common for people to hit reply or reply all on a topic and, after some banter, the email body is really long with the history of the chatter.

Also, Microsoft Outlook doesn't support interspersed replies within quoted messages very well, at least in my experience of trying to do it.

By contrast, I have no problem with it in Mutt, Thunderbird, etc.

Jason White

On 30/7/21 1:25 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
I wish, and I know that it won't be granted, because the custom is what the custom is, that trimming all bottom quoted material before adding a reply would become common custom on these lists when it's entirely clear what and who the reply is to.
One way to achieve this in Microsoft Outlook that I discovered recently is to reply to the message with focus on the message list rather than in the body of the message. At least in the Office 365 version of Outlook that I have installed on my Windows system, typing Ctrl+R when the focus is on the entry in the message list doesn't quote the text of the message you are replying to. (It only quotes the header of the original, but not the message body). However, Ctrl+R with focus in the message body (on my system, it's configured to display in a separate window) does quote the text in full.

I'm not sure whether this is a recent change to Microsoft Outlook or whether I simply hadn't noticed it previously.

Van Lant, Robin

Tom,

I think it was actually introduced a couple releases ago – maybe the May release. I just  happened to be listening to an older podcast that mentioned it.   As for your other question, this was only discussed as an Outlook thing, so I don’t know if it will work in another email client.

I finally got the July release installed on my work PC today (jumping from the Feb release).  I’d also just learned about the N quick navigation keystroke within messages.  This is so amazing!  If you haven’t heard about it, pressing “N” while in an open message that has a back and forth with others allows you to jump to the top of each previous message in the thread.  I am so excited about how helpful this will be here at work, where conversation threadss get long, especially when people have long signature files or many others were copied on the message.

Just wanted to be sure others saw this feature.

Robin Van Lant, Sr. Program Manager - Sales Enablement

Key Equipment Finance & Key Institutional Bank

720-304-1060

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Tom Behler

Ok, Robin.

Thanks!

Hopefully, it will eventually be able to work with other e-mail clients as well because it is really handy for quickly sorting through long e-mail threads.

Tom Behler

On Fri, Jul 30, 2021 at 07:15 PM, Van Lant, Robin wrote:
so I don’t know if it will work in another email client.
-
I would be surprised if it did not.  This has to be using the HTML structure, with lots of emphasis on block quote arrangement, to parse the message.  That should be the same no matter what email client is being used.  That is unless FS has actually limited invocation to be in Outlook only, but it makes little sense to me that they would.

You could test this theory out if you know you have a long, multi-quoted message where the exchange was conducted entirely in plain text.  If it still works, then I have to be wrong, or at least only partially correct and there's a way the algorithm recognizes the differing formats and parses accordingly.

    ~ William Plomer

Sharon S

Hi, I just tested your theory on this message. As you can see pressing reply from the message list left the whole message below.

Not sure how it is working differently for you, but I also am running Outlook as part of office 365.

From Shaz.
Canberra, Australia.