From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Vic Beckley
Sent: September 28, 2021 9:45 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: New laptop with Windows 11

Hi all,

I am buying a new laptop. It was originally going to have Windows 10 installed, but now they say it will have Windows 11. I am a JAWS user. How accessible is Windows 11 with JAWS 2022 right out of the gate? Can I run Office 2010 on Windows 11? Thanks for any help.

Vic

Milton Ota

Hello,

If you have a current Annual or SMA License for JAWS 2022 you should have no problem going forward to windows 11. There will be changes and some of those changes can be changed and some cannot.

With regards to Office 2010, I very strongly suggest that you upgrade to 365 as Office 2010 has no support for updates with relations to security and you won’t be able to take advantage of the new features that JAWS 2022 will give you.

Milton Ota

ICAN Island Computer Access Now

4273 Coventry Dr., S.

Unit E

Fargo, ND 58104-4498

Ph: (701) 731-0511

Email: mota1252@...

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 01:37 PM, Sieghard Weitzel wrote:
Whether Microsoft allows you to install Office 2010 on a Windows 11 computer I don't know
-
If you've got the install media, and a license, you can definitely install way-out-of-support versions of Office.  I, like you, don't recommend it.

Right now the earliest version I'd even consider using on a new machine is Office 2016, and that's getting harder and harder to source, but it's still out there.  Ideally, for an installed version, either 2019 or 2021 would give you the longest support life.

    ~ William Plomer

Vaughan Dodd

You should not have any real issues with Jaws, so long as you have the latest. And of course, a new release of jfw is pending.

From what I have seen through the Windows Insider programme, Windows 11 is less cluttered. Features like the Control Panel are tidier and easier to navigate. Windows 11 allows for the running of Amazon generated apps, but I don’t know how that works. I think that if a piece of software is designed badly for accessibility, Jaws will stagger as it always has.

Vaughan.

I am buying a new laptop. It was originally going to have Windows 10 installed, but now they say it will have Windows 11. I am a JAWS user. How accessible is Windows 11 with JAWS 2022 right out of the gate? Can I run Office 2010 on Windows 11? Thanks for any help.

Vic

Hi,

Regarding Amazon aps part, Amazon Appstore will be published on Microsoft Store, so Android apps that are distributed through Amazon will be installable (won’t be part of the initial release scheduled for next Tuesday at this time).

Cheers,

Joseph

You should not have any real issues with Jaws, so long as you have the latest. And of course, a new release of jfw is pending.

From what I have seen through the Windows Insider programme, Windows 11 is less cluttered. Features like the Control Panel are tidier and easier to navigate. Windows 11 allows for the running of Amazon generated apps, but I don’t know how that works. I think that if a piece of software is designed badly for accessibility, Jaws will stagger as it always has.

Vaughan.