New computer fun

Marty Hutchings

Hello everyone.  I have made the change from Windows 7 to a brand new Windows 10 machine with lots of bells and  whisels.  I have transferred all of my files to the D drive, which before, they were in the C drive.  Now for the fun part.  How do I get my playlists to play in Winamp?  I am running the most recent JAWS update.  The music files and the play list .M3U files are together in the same folder thatt they were on my old computer.  The Winamp program, however is on the C drive.  Is this my problem?

I have lots of other questions like how to get my contacts into Outlook 2016 or Windows Mail, but that is another thread.  Thanks in advanced for any hents.

Love in Christ

Marty

The Gospel is freely accessible to all.

Randy Barnett

I don't  use WinAmp but you should look in settings for anything that is related to your music library or location and change it to the new location. Just poke around you will find it eventually.

On 4/12/2021 6:59 PM, Marty Hutchings wrote:

Hello everyone.  I have made the change from Windows 7 to a brand new Windows 10 machine with lots of bells and  whisels.  I have transferred all of my files to the D drive, which before, they were in the C drive.  Now for the fun part.  How do I get my playlists to play in Winamp?  I am running the most recent JAWS update.  The music files and the play list .M3U files are together in the same folder thatt they were on my old computer.  The Winamp program, however is on the C drive.  Is this my problem?

I have lots of other questions like how to get my contacts into Outlook 2016 or Windows Mail, but that is another thread.  Thanks in advanced for any hents.

Love in Christ

Marty

The Gospel is freely accessible to all.

Richard Turner

I do not know WinAmp very well, but if the files had been on the c drive before, then the path it is using is probably it looking for them there.
There should be a way within the program to point it to the new location.
Good luck.
I tried the c and d drive setup once, and decided it was not worth the work.

Richard

www.turner42.com

On Apr 12, 2021, at 7:01 PM, Marty Hutchings <mhutchings152730@...> wrote:

Hello everyone.  I have made the change from Windows 7 to a brand new Windows 10 machine with lots of bells and  whisels.  I have transferred all of my files to the D drive, which before, they were in the C drive.  Now for the fun part.  How do I get my playlists to play in Winamp?  I am running the most recent JAWS update.  The music files and the play list .M3U files are together in the same folder thatt they were on my old computer.  The Winamp program, however is on the C drive.  Is this my problem?

I have lots of other questions like how to get my contacts into Outlook 2016 or Windows Mail, but that is another thread.  Thanks in advanced for any hents.

Love in Christ

Marty

The Gospel is freely accessible to all.

Jaffar Sidek

Hi.  Press L to load files.  You will land at the file name edit box.  Shift tab twice, then press backspace to get out of which ever folder you are at and until you are at the "This PC" window.  Then press the letter D to navigate to your D drive and press enter to get into your d drive.  Press whichever letter that first spells out your folder that contains your music, etc, for example, "M" for music.  Then navigate within your folder structure to get to the files and playlists you want.  Cheers!

On 13/4/2021 10:10 am, Randy Barnett wrote:

[...]

JM Casey

Hey.

Yes, the problem is that the winamp playlist file is a text file that points to the paths where the files used to be. It’s not the same anymore, since the drives have switched.

I’m not sure there is really an easy way to change this that doesn’t involve going in there with a text editor.

You might be better off just recreating the playlists, honestly. But if this is an intolerable task, you could try find and replace in Word or some similar programme, maybe. Problem is that, since winamp and the files you want to play were previously on the same drive, it probably wont’ even show the drive letter on the playlist. Go open the m3u file in notepad and you’ll see what I mean.

Hello everyone.  I have made the change from Windows 7 to a brand new Windows 10 machine with lots of bells and  whisels.  I have transferred all of my files to the D drive, which before, they were in the C drive.  Now for the fun part.  How do I get my playlists to play in Winamp?  I am running the most recent JAWS update.  The music files and the play list .M3U files are together in the same folder thatt they were on my old computer.  The Winamp program, however is on the C drive.  Is this my problem?

I have lots of other questions like how to get my contacts into Outlook 2016 or Windows Mail, but that is another thread.  Thanks in advanced for any hents.

Love in Christ

Marty

The Gospel is freely accessible to all.

Jaffar Sidek

Forgot about the playlist files, sorry!

On 14/4/2021 12:33 am, JM Casey wrote:

[...]

Dave Durber

Marty:

Does the name of the folder in which you keep your audio files and play lists on the D drive, have the same name as it did when it was located on the c drive?

Dave

Hello everyone.  I have made the change from Windows 7 to a brand new Windows 10 machine with lots of bells and  whisels.  I have transferred all of my files to the D drive, which before, they were in the C drive.  Now for the fun part.  How do I get my playlists to play in Winamp?  I am running the most recent JAWS update.  The music files and the play list .M3U files are together in the same folder thatt they were on my old computer.  The Winamp program, however is on the C drive.  Is this my problem?

I have lots of other questions like how to get my contacts into Outlook 2016 or Windows Mail, but that is another thread.  Thanks in advanced for any hents.

Love in Christ

Marty

The Gospel is freely accessible to all.

Marty Hutchings

Dave,  Yes, the folder name is the same.  I did solve my problem.  Here is how i did it.  I opened Winamp and tried to open a play list from the Music folder on the D drive.  The song names did populate the Winamp play list editor, but nothing would play.  I then opened a new playlist and hit L to add songs.  I then saved this play list which did play fine.  I then opened the play list that I just created with Notepad and looked at the file path for each song.  I also opened one of my original play lists in Notpad and compaired the file paths.  I noticed that in the new play list, the file path started with \Music\ where the file path in the original playlist started with \Users\Marty\Music\.  I then deleted \Users\Marty\ from one of the songs and replaced the first \.  I then opened this play list in Winamp and what do you know?  The only song that would play was the one that I changed the file path.  I then opened all of my play list files in Notepad, selected \Users\Marty\, hit Control H for Replace and replaced the selected text with \ and chose Replace all and hit OK.  This fixed my problem.  I don't quite understand just how it did, but all is working now.

Thanks

Love in Christ

Marty

On 4/16/2021 11:16 AM, Dave Durber wrote:
[...]

What you did to solve your problem, would have been the steps I was going to suggest you do.

Dave