Angie Goodnight <agoodnight@...>

It worked! Thank you so much!

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 10:30 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: New Computer

in case it's not too late, on a laptop, the use of a missing application
key is usually achieved by pressing shift+f10.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Thursday, Nov 8, 2018 7:55 AM EST
Subject: New Computer

Just guessing here, but there may not be an application key at all. I
just bought a laptop that doesn't have one and it's going back to the
seller.

As for the function keys, they may be set to perform hardware
functions rather than the application specific functions you would
expect. I'm not sure how you would change that on an HP laptop. But
you can get the app specific function by holding down the FN key while
pressing the function keys.

I hope this helps.

On 11/8/18, Angie Goodnight <agoodnight@...> wrote:
Good morning all,
I recently bought a new HP Laptop. I am having a couple of problems but I
think it is me not the computer. Some of my shortcut keys are not working
such as Insert F7 for links, or F7 for Spell Check. I cannot seem to find
the application key where in the past it has always been two keys to the
right of the space bar. I have my keyboard set to laptop. I have had no luck
trying to search these issues online. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Angie Goodnight

Larry Gassman

I do have an HP laptop. When I got it in 2013, I had the same issue. I had sighted assistance and we did have to goin to the Bios to get my applications key to work as well as the function keys in general.
It worked, but at that time I could not do it myself,.
I'll probably get the 40 cell El-Braille soon and will not get another Laptop.
At least, that's the plan for now.
Larry

At 08:46 AM 11/8/2018, Cristóbal wrote:
My HP envy doesn't have this issue. From what I recall, I didn't have to go into the bios to change anything either when I first got it.

Cristóbal

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Van Lant, Robin via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:28 AM

And the Shift F10 combo on an HP sometimes requires the FN key as well ans sometimes not. That's probably my biggest issue with my HP laptop at home is sometimes the FN key is required and sometimes not. I often accidentally turn on airplane mode when trying to use JAWS F12 to check the time. I really do need to go get the bios changed.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mario
Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 8:30 AM

in case it's not too late, on a laptop, the use of a missing application key is usually achieved by pressing shift+f10.

-------- Original Message --------
Sent: Thursday, Nov 8, 2018 7:55 AM EST

Just guessing here, but there may not be an application key at all. I just bought a laptop that doesn't have one and it's going back to the seller.

As for the function keys, they may be set to perform hardware functions rather than the application specific functions you would expect. I'm not sure how you would change that on an HP laptop. But you can get the app specific function by holding down the FN key while pressing the function keys.

I hope this helps.

On 11/8/18, Angie Goodnight <agoodnight@...> wrote:
Good morning all,
I recently bought a new HP Laptop. I am having a couple of problems but I think it is me not the computer. Some of my shortcut keys are not working such as Insert F7 for links, or F7 for Spell Check. I cannot seem to find the application key where in the past it has always been two keys to the right of the space bar. I have my keyboard set to laptop. I have had no luck trying to search these issues online. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Angie Goodnight

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Joseph Norton

Actually, there are cases where laptops will allow you to do a few f keys without using the function key.  Particularly, alt+f4 is sometimes allowed, but, not others.

Usually, you will need to have help going into the system’s bios menus to change the behavior, and this is usually not accessible.

I knew of one laptop where you could actually go into Windows mobility center and change this under Windows, but, I have never seen it like this since.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, November 8, 2018 7:53 AM

For starters you eather need to have someone go into the bios and change the defalt of the function keys.  They now are set for hp device operations, and you need to change it to just f keys.

If you do not do this then you would have to press the function key and along with your jaws key and f 7 to have the jaws action take place. And this would be for all f key operations.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Angie Goodnight
Sent: November 8, 2018 4:14
To: jfw@groups.io

Good morning all,

I recently bought a new HP Laptop. I am having a couple of problems but I think it is me not the computer. Some of my shortcut keys are not working such as Insert F7 for links, or F7 for Spell Check. I cannot seem to find the application key where in the past it has always been two keys to the right of the space bar. I have my keyboard set to laptop. I have had no luck trying to search these issues online. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Angie Goodnight

Roger Newell

It must depend on the specific model because I have two very new HP
laptops and neither had this issue.

On 11/9/18, Brian Vogel <@britechguy> wrote:
HP "Action Keys" can only be toggled on or off via UEFI. It requires
sighted assistance.

As the owner of three HP laptops of recent vintage I know of whence speak.
--

Brian *-* Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763

*If you remove all the homosexuals and homosexual influences from what is
generally regarded as American culture, you are pretty much left with Let's
Make a Deal.*

~ Fran Lebowitz