Topics

moderated Need Microsoft Disability phone number!

Shirley Tracy

Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask something so basic, but Microsoft did something overnight and now I cannot open files, including the file that contains the saved phone number for the disability hotline. Will someone please post it?

In case anyone on this list knows the answer to my problem, I’ll post it here:

This morning, every word file I tried to open first gave me the message, office Updating, please wait. Then, I got the message  WinWord error, cannot launch.

I need my documents ASAP.

Thank you for any help—especially with the phone number of Microsoft accessibility line.

Hope your day is going well.

Shirley Tracy

Annabelle Susan Morison

Hey Shirley!
The phone number for Microsoft Disability Answer Desk is 1-800-936-5900.

On 03/05/2021 10:06 AM Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask something so basic, but Microsoft did something overnight and now I cannot open files, including the file that contains the saved phone number for the disability hotline. Will someone please post it?

In case anyone on this list knows the answer to my problem, I’ll post it here:

This morning, every word file I tried to open first gave me the message, office Updating, please wait. Then, I got the message  WinWord error, cannot launch.

I need my documents ASAP.

Thank you for any help—especially with the phone number of Microsoft accessibility line.

Hope your day is going well.

Shirley Tracy

WESLEY BURDEN

The number is 18009365900

Sorry to ask something so basic, but Microsoft did something overnight and now I cannot open files, including the file that contains the saved phone number for the disability hotline. Will someone please post it?

In case anyone on this list knows the answer to my problem, I’ll post it here:

This morning, every word file I tried to open first gave me the message, office Updating, please wait. Then, I got the message  WinWord error, cannot launch.

I need my documents ASAP.

Thank you for any help—especially with the phone number of Microsoft accessibility line.

Hope your day is going well.

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks. Got it.

Shirley Tracy

Sorry to ask something so basic, but Microsoft did something overnight and now I cannot open files, including the file that contains the saved phone number for the disability hotline. Will someone please post it?

In case anyone on this list knows the answer to my problem, I’ll post it here:

This morning, every word file I tried to open first gave me the message, office Updating, please wait. Then, I got the message  WinWord error, cannot launch.

I need my documents ASAP.

Thank you for any help—especially with the phone number of Microsoft accessibility line.

Hope your day is going well.

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks, Annabelle,

It turns out the person who helped me before did not take out my previous Office. So Office 2019 was competing with my prior Office 2016, which already had issues.

Now it’s gone. I only have Office 2019.

I’m so glad for MS disability help line (or whatever they call it now).

And thanks to everyone else who responded. I had a file I had to deal with immediately, but couldn’t get to it. It’s all good now.

Shirley Tracy

The phone number for Microsoft Disability Answer Desk is 1-800-936-5900.

On 03/05/2021 10:06 AM Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask something so basic, but Microsoft did something overnight and now I cannot open files, including the file that contains the saved phone number for the disability hotline. Will someone please post it?

In case anyone on this list knows the answer to my problem, I’ll post it here:

This morning, every word file I tried to open first gave me the message, office Updating, please wait. Then, I got the message  WinWord error, cannot launch.

I need my documents ASAP.

Thank you for any help—especially with the phone number of Microsoft accessibility line.

Hope your day is going well.

Shirley Tracy

David Diamond

Shirley, like most agencies there are good agents and some that should be working somewhere else.  I’ve had some real darlings when calling the MS help desk.  One in particular kept phoning me when I was expecting a call from a higher department.  Then there was the one who said constantly, “You see the yellow X at the top of your screen, click on that.” I thought and almost vocalized, “What part of I’m blind are you not getting!” Thankfully these experiences are few and far between.  I’m also glad I read the post below this because I was going to give you the phone # you wanted.

The phone number for Microsoft Disability Answer Desk is 1-800-936-5900.

On 03/05/2021 10:06 AM Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask something so basic, but Microsoft did something overnight and now I cannot open files, including the file that contains the saved phone number for the disability hotline. Will someone please post it?

In case anyone on this list knows the answer to my problem, I’ll post it here:

This morning, every word file I tried to open first gave me the message, office Updating, please wait. Then, I got the message  WinWord error, cannot launch.

I need my documents ASAP.

Thank you for any help—especially with the phone number of Microsoft accessibility line.

Hope your day is going well.

Shirley Tracy

Marianne Denning

I was working with someone who worked for another blindness company and the person asked me if I had a sighted person who could help. I told them that if they were a blindness company who didn’t know how to work with a blind person they shouldn’t be in the field. I know that was very rude and I am rarely rude like that. I just find it amazing that people who are hired by these companies don’t have a clue how to use better words to communicate.

[...]

Paul Faucheux

the number is 1-800-936-5900

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 12:06 PM Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry to ask something so basic, but Microsoft did something overnight and now I cannot open files, including the file that contains the saved phone number for the disability hotline. Will someone please post it?

In case anyone on this list knows the answer to my problem, I’ll post it here:

This morning, every word file I tried to open first gave me the message, office Updating, please wait. Then, I got the message  WinWord error, cannot launch.

I need my documents ASAP.

Thank you for any help—especially with the phone number of Microsoft accessibility line.

Hope your day is going well.

Shirley Tracy

Dan Longmore

Hi,

I am learning that in most cases these wonderful people mean no harm and are not even aware of their mis communications.  These e-mails have reminded me that I need to extend some grace and humility whenever I reach out for help.  I get the need for independence and yet there is no shame in asking for and receiving assistance.  Now I must practice what I preach for the people I often get frustrated with are those at Freedom Scientific.

Dan

[...]

Good observation. I have to say that most of the MS Disability agents have tried to give good service. Some have fallen short. There are a few (just like in any other business) who don’t communicate well or just want to act  quickly and move on to the next person. The woman I worked with today was really great and double checked what she did to make sure all worked before we disconnected. Her name is Dara, and she knows what she is doing.

Thank you all for your comments.

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 02:30 PM, Marianne Denning wrote:
I was working with someone who worked for another blindness company and the person asked me if I had a sighted person who could help.
-
I want someone to explain why this question is offensive.

When you're at a help desk, any help desk, the goal is generally to get a fix as quickly as possible.  There are times where having a sighted assistant can greatly speed things along.  There are times when there really is no substitute for sight when it comes to getting maximum speed and minimum fuss identifying what's happening.  Joseph Lee once said to me, in regard to web browsing, that the sighted (which would include me) see a webpage (but this would apply to anything displaying on a screen) as a gestalt, taking it all in at once, and filtering out the irrelevant versus relevant visually without even realizing you're doing so.  A screen reader user goes element by element through unfamiliar territory and cannot "take it all in at once."  Those are simple facts.

If you don't have access to a sighted assistant, then the answer to that query is, "No, I don't have easy access to a sighted assistant."

Asking whether such is available is not meant, not should it be taken, as a slight to someone who's blind.  I cannot imagine that most in the readership here have not, on multiple occasions, had someone who could see around who could "instantly" identify something you've been struggling with for hours such that you want to scream and rend your garments.  Examples of this completely unrelated to the computer abound, too.  My "value added" most of the time is that I can see something that's, sadly, either not accessible or not accessible quickly and easily and could take a screen reader user hours to find because of how a given program/screen is structured.

If your job is to try to fix an issue as quickly as possible you use all the tools at your disposal, and as a help desk tech there are times where a sighted assistant is a really handy tool to have.  If not available, you try another way, but in many instances it will invariably take much longer.  But if you don't ask whether an optional tool, in this case a sighted assistant, might be available you're not doing your job, or at least not doing it well.

           ~ André Gide

Cristóbal

The blind men and the elephant analogy etc.…

There are times where I may have dropped or misplaced something and instead of deploying my super blindy locator skills, I just call out for my sighted wife instead. Independence be damned…

Same thing with the Internet. I can try troubleshooting something on my screen or just call her over to see what the heck is on my screen that’s giving me such fits. It’s often an overlay pop up or something that’s messing with my screen reader.

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 02:23 PM, David Diamond wrote:
Then there was the one who said constantly, “You see the yellow X at the top of your screen, click on that.” I thought and almost vocalized, “What part of I’m blind are you not getting!”
-
By the way, that would be an entirely appropriate response.

If you're on the help desk for individuals who are blind or visually impaired, the use of phrases that include, "see" in the sense of vision should be nowhere in your vocabulary when asking questions of someone you already know can't.  This is not rocket science, nor should it be tolerated.

Dope slaps when people are being dopes are A-OK, and if you have someone who was accidentally being a dope, which happens more often than one might think, their response is generally a prompt apology.  They recognize they've been inappropriate, even if that was the result of an accidental lapse.  Defending the indefensible is never a good idea.

           ~ André Gide

HH. Smith Jr.

Hi,

It is insulting to your intelligence, because you’re blind not stupid. You cannot see; therefore, anything above chewing is impossible for you to do.

[...]

Marty Hutchings

And, I’ve even gotten asked how I do that.

Love in Christ
Marty

Sent: Friday, March 05, 2021 7:36 PM

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

           ~ André Gide

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 08:36 PM, HH. Smith Jr. wrote:
It is insulting to your intelligence, because you’re blind not stupid.
-
Uh, you're demonstrating just the opposite.  Anyone who would think that a question regarding the presence of absence of a sighted assistant is a reflection on thier own intelligence, well . . .

           ~ André Gide

David Diamond

Brian, as you know, probably I was just making the point that some should not be working there because they are not good listeners.  When working on the phones, one of the skills one needs is to listen what the other person is telling you or requesting. No one agency is perfect and by enlarge the MS help desk is overall pretty good.  It’s just frustrating when after sitting on hold for 30 or more minutes you get someone like that.  At one agency I after getting nowhere with the person on the phone, asked to speak to a supervisor and the person I made the request too, asked why.

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:15 PM, David Diamond wrote:
I was just making the point that some should not be working there because they are not good listeners.
-
Indeed.  At the same time, one does have to consider that everyone is a neophyte at whatever they may be doing at one time or another.  And, when it comes to tech support in particular you can get suddenly pulled in to an arena that's not "your usual."

For me, it's not so much that someone makes a mistake or does something thoughtless (as in without thought, rather than with intent), but what they do after that's called to their attention, and that attention calling is best done gently, initially.  But if clear hint after clear hint is ignored, that's when a dope slap is called for.

It was your observation "constantly" that triggered my dope slap comment.  It's easy, sometimes, to forget that you're talking to someone who can't see and you can and do slip back into, "Click the red X, blah, blah, blah."  But if you need to be reminded, more than once, in a given encounter that someone can't see and giving visual directions is inappropriate, you're asleep at the wheel.

One of the very trickiest things to learn how to do as far as listening is coming to know some of the things people regularly give as complaints, where they believe they're dealing with some known issue, but in reality they're asking about another.  It's a kind of "read between the lines" sort of thing, and having been an instructor in the classroom as well as doing lots of tech support I have learned to listen, but with an ear towards figuring out what's wanted as opposed to focusing on the presenting complaint in many cases.  It's something you can't teach, and it's something that makes a big difference.

           ~ André Gide

Sherri

The phone number is 800-936-5900.  You can also contact them through Be My Eyes if you use that service.  Hope this helps.

Sherri

[...]

G. Gray

Whenever I get a comment like "Click on the yellow x at the top of the screen,"  I say..."Do me a favor turn your screen off.  Is it off.  What do you see exactly?  OK now you see what I see...now tell me again what to do!"

Listening for that Shout!,
(1 Thessalonians 4:13-18)

George
On 3/5/2021 6:59 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]