moderated Need Instructions For Turning off Auto-numbering and Auto-lettering in Microsoft Word Documents And Outlook e-mails

Tom Behler

                                                            Hello, everyone.

Within the last day or so, I have noticed that auto-numbering and auto-lettering has gotten turned back on in Microsoft Word documents and Outlook e-mails.

I suspect this happened in an Office 365 update of some kind.

Why Microsoft has to mess with these sorts of settings in their updates is beyond me.

I prefer to do numbering and lettering manually, since that gives me more control in what I’m doing.

Anyway, if someone has an easy-to-follow set of instructions for disabling auto-numbering and lettering in MS Word documents and Outlook e-mails, I’d appreciate your sending them along.

I don’t know what else might have changed, but I’ll take things one step at a time.

I’m using Office 365 on a Windows 10 PC here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Bill White

Hi, Tom. Some of these procedures may have changed slightly in newer versions of Word and in Outlook, but you should be able to find and navigate the options from the instructions below.

How To Turn Off Automatic List Numbering And Bulleting in Word

1.  Start Word.

2.  Press Alt + T to enter the Tools Menu.

3.  Press Shift + Tab four times to reach AutoCorrect Options, then press Enter.

4.  Press Ctrl + Tab to reach the Replace As You Type List Box.

5.  Arrow up and down, checking or unchecking the desired items.

Turn Off Auto Bullet Or Numbering In Outlook

You can turn off auto bullet or numbering in Outlook as follows.

1. Open the Outlook Options dialog box, ALT plus F, followed by T.

2. Arrow down to Mail.

3. Tab over to, and press ENTER on the Editor Options button.

4. In the Editor Options dialog box, make sure Proofing is highlighted by arrowing to it.

5. Tab to, and press ENTER on the AutoCorrect Options button.

6. Press CONTROL plus TAB, until it says, AutoFormat As You Type.

7. uncheck AutoNumbering, and AutoBulleting.

8. Tab to, and press ENTER on the OK button.

9. Tab to, and press ENTER on the next OK button.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Within the last day or so, I have noticed that auto-numbering and auto-lettering has gotten turned back on in Microsoft Word documents and Outlook e-mails.

I suspect this happened in an Office 365 update of some kind.

Why Microsoft has to mess with these sorts of settings in their updates is beyond me.

I prefer to do numbering and lettering manually, since that gives me more control in what I’m doing.

Anyway, if someone has an easy-to-follow set of instructions for disabling auto-numbering and lettering in MS Word documents and Outlook e-mails, I’d appreciate your sending them along.

I don’t know what else might have changed, but I’ll take things one step at a time.

I’m using Office 365 on a Windows 10 PC here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Bill White

Hi again, Tom. I found some more updated instructions for turning off AutoNumbering and AutoBulleting in Word:

Turn Off Autonumbering and Bulleting In Word

1. Open Word.

2. Press ALT plus F, Followed by T for Options.

3. Arrow down to Proofing.

4. Press ALT plus A for Autocorrect Options.

5. Press CONTROL plus TAB until you hear “Autoformat as you type tab”

6. TAB approximately seven times, until you hear “Apply as you type, Automatic bulleted lists check box”

7. If this check box is checked, press SPACE to uncheck it. This will turn off automatic bulleted lists.

8. TAB once, until you hear “Apply as you type, Automatic Numbered Lists check box”

9. If this check box is checked, press SPACE to uncheck it. This will turn off Automatic Numbered Lists.

10. TAB to OK, and press SPACE or ENTER.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

Within the last day or so, I have noticed that auto-numbering and auto-lettering has gotten turned back on in Microsoft Word documents and Outlook e-mails.

I suspect this happened in an Office 365 update of some kind.

Why Microsoft has to mess with these sorts of settings in their updates is beyond me.

I prefer to do numbering and lettering manually, since that gives me more control in what I’m doing.

Anyway, if someone has an easy-to-follow set of instructions for disabling auto-numbering and lettering in MS Word documents and Outlook e-mails, I’d appreciate your sending them along.

I don’t know what else might have changed, but I’ll take things one step at a time.

I’m using Office 365 on a Windows 10 PC here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Marie Nelson

Thanks for great  directions.

Marie

Within the last day or so, I have noticed that auto-numbering and auto-lettering has gotten turned back on in Microsoft Word documents and Outlook e-mails.

I suspect this happened in an Office 365 update of some kind.

Why Microsoft has to mess with these sorts of settings in their updates is beyond me.

I prefer to do numbering and lettering manually, since that gives me more control in what I’m doing.

Anyway, if someone has an easy-to-follow set of instructions for disabling auto-numbering and lettering in MS Word documents and Outlook e-mails, I’d appreciate your sending them along.

I don’t know what else might have changed, but I’ll take things one step at a time.

I’m using Office 365 on a Windows 10 PC here.

Thank you!

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

Tom Behler

Thanks for these instructions, Bill.

Hopefully, they will benefit more than just me.

I’ll try them, and will let you know if I’m able to successfully turn off auto-numbering and lettering in both Word and Outlook.

Tom Behler