Topics

moderated Need help with Blackboard

Kimber Gardner

Hi all,

I have a friend who is taking a class and most of the work is being
done through Blackboard. She struggling a lot with the accessibility
or lack of it. She has both jaws and nvda for screen readers. Does
anyone have any tips or would be willing to help her?

I have no experience with blackboard and so am not much help to her.

Thanks,
Kim

--
Kimberly

James English

Hello,

Which web browser is she using? I'm sad to say I can't offer much
comfort with blackboard, it is absolutely terrible. However, it's
somewhat less useless on chrome than IE.

- James

On 3/28/20, Kimber Gardner <kimbersinbox1963@...> wrote:
Hi all,

I have a friend who is taking a class and most of the work is being
done through Blackboard. She struggling a lot with the accessibility
or lack of it. She has both jaws and nvda for screen readers. Does
anyone have any tips or would be willing to help her?

I have no experience with blackboard and so am not much help to her.

Thanks,
Kim

--
Kimberly

Kimber Gardner

I'm not certain but I suspect she is using IE. I will suggest she
switch to chrome for a slightly better experience.

Thanks

On 3/28/20, James English <james13english@...> wrote:
[...]

IE does not work with blackboard, even if you can see. I primarily use
IE and got a sighted friend to check to see what was going wrong, and
apparently some of the buttons don't even display on the screen. Why
blackboard doesn't tell you this when you log in is beyond me, but if
you look at the layout of their website you can probably realise that
common sense is not their strongest suit.

[...]

I can't speak to Blackboard from an overall ease of accessibility perspective, but I have had to train a couple of my previous clients who were graduate students to navigate it.  All were successful using a modern browser, which means not Internet Explorer.  Obviously, there are parts of Blackboard, or any complex system, that I never needed to get into with either client.

If memory serves one was using Firefox and the other Chrome.

        ~ Joshua Liebman

Shan Noyes

A few years back I worked with a consultant and blackboard to make it more accessible our work used chrome as well as voiceover on an iPad so I would try them and stay away from i.e. have a good day everyone

On Mar 28, 2020, at 9:50 AM, Kimber Gardner <kimbersinbox1963@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a friend who is taking a class and most of the work is being
done through Blackboard. She struggling a lot with the accessibility
or lack of it. She has both jaws and nvda for screen readers. Does
anyone have any tips or would be willing to help her?

I have no experience with blackboard and so am not much help to her.

Thanks,
Kim

--
Kimberly

Anna Givens

Here are some very useful links that your friend can use. The first one is the link to sign up for an email list for blind high school and college students but anyone can sign up for it on there you can ask questions and get answers from thousands of students who use blackboard and other things like that they should be very helpful in asking about blackboard or asking specific questions.
The second link is a link to their Facebook group where you can also ask questions and get information about blackboard or anything else. The third one is a Facebook group for university students parents and teachers who are blind and another good resource and place to ask questions about accessibility and school related things. Hope some of this helps. If not feel free to have your friend reach out to me via email and I will connect them with someone who uses blackboard with Jaws.

Anna

On Mar 28, 2020, at 2:51 PM, Shan Noyes <noyes01@...> wrote:

A few years back I worked with a consultant and blackboard to make it more accessible our work used chrome as well as voiceover on an iPad so I would try them and stay away from i.e. have a good day everyone
On Mar 28, 2020, at 9:50 AM, Kimber Gardner <kimbersinbox1963@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I have a friend who is taking a class and most of the work is being
done through Blackboard. She struggling a lot with the accessibility
or lack of it. She has both jaws and nvda for screen readers. Does
anyone have any tips or would be willing to help her?

I have no experience with blackboard and so am not much help to her.

Thanks,
Kim

--
Kimberly

Jim Fettgather

Nowadays, If you check out the Blackboard general requirements, at least currently, they recommend using Firefox.
I do not know why this is, that is simply what they recommend.