Topics

moderated Need help choosing printer/scanner

Shirley Tracy

Good morning list,

My printer has finally given up. Can anyone please give me a suggestion of an easy-to-use  printer and scanner that works well with JAWS? I also need one that will work well with Open Book—although I don’t normally scan large batches and don’t need one that has that ability. I’m using a DEL Computer with JAWS 2020, latest update, and Windows 10. My computer doesn’t have BlueTooth, so I don’t need that in a printer.

Thankfully, I know someone who is willing to install it for me. I do well to use it, much less understand how it works or how to set it up. 😒

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Joe

I would suggest that you purchase a laser printer. Unlike an ink jet the nozzles do not clog since it uses a different Process. A black and white model costs about as much as an ink jet if you do not need color.

Joe

Picture of Owl with Mortar Board and Computer

Dr. Joe L. Todd CVRT

                Phone: 616.951.2142

My printer has finally given up. Can anyone please give me a suggestion of an easy-to-use  printer and scanner that works well with JAWS? I also need one that will work well with Open Book—although I don’t normally scan large batches and don’t need one that has that ability. I’m using a DEL Computer with JAWS 2020, latest update, and Windows 10. My computer doesn’t have BlueTooth, so I don’t need that in a printer.

Thankfully, I know someone who is willing to install it for me. I do well to use it, much less understand how it works or how to set it up. 😒

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Richard Turner

We like the Brother brand of printers and some are all in ones, that are also WiFi enabled and even AirPrint enabled if you have an iPhone or iPad.

I don’t have a specific model to recommend, just know you will likely need sighted help to set it up.

Richard

My printer has finally given up. Can anyone please give me a suggestion of an easy-to-use  printer and scanner that works well with JAWS? I also need one that will work well with Open Book—although I don’t normally scan large batches and don’t need one that has that ability. I’m using a DEL Computer with JAWS 2020, latest update, and Windows 10. My computer doesn’t have BlueTooth, so I don’t need that in a printer.

Thankfully, I know someone who is willing to install it for me. I do well to use it, much less understand how it works or how to set it up. 😒

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thank you, Joe and Richard, for responding. I’ll consider your ideas. I do have sighted help to set it up—thankfully!

I’ll let you know what I end up with.

Cheers,

Shirley Tracy

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

Shirley,

If you want to use it for Open Book, you’ll want to be sure you know which drivers it uses and what OpenBook requires.  I use Kurzweil 1000 and the scanner must run with TWAIN drivers to work.  My HP all in one printer cannot be set to work with Kurzweil.  I have an Epson desktop scanner at work that has TWAIN drivers.  This is food for thought, as I don’t know if Open Book also requires TWAIN drivers or if the scanner can have other drivers.  Also, maybe the person who suggested the Brother scanner is already clued into this aspect.  We just bought an Epson all-in-one printer that looks pretty simple, but we havent’ set it up, so I cannot tell you how easy it is to use yet. The reason we picked this one, over staying with HP, is that it has larger ink reservoirs that are supposed to e much cheaper to maintain.  We bought it at Staples and also bought the warranty/support option so we can have telephone support of any setup or maintenance issues for the next 4 or 5 years.   I once had a simple HP black and white laser printer that I loved. If I were doing a lot of printing, I’d go that route again, but this new printer purchase is for the family and needed more bells and whistles.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Shirley Tracy

Thanks for reminding me about the TWAIN drivers. Yes, Open Book requires them, as best I remember.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

[...]

Good points, I don’t have an all-in-one but most should offer twain drivers, which work better because they are simple and straight forward and do not require any other software.

Richard

[...]

Dan Longmore

Shirley,

  I use an Epson Perfection scanner but also have a Brother 4 in 1 printer  / scanner which Open Book recognizes and is able to use if needed.  The Brother is great on ink and has an on screen interface that is fairly accessible with JAWS.  Not the fastest printer or scanner though if you are looking for speed.

Dan

My printer has finally given up. Can anyone please give me a suggestion of an easy-to-use  printer and scanner that works well with JAWS? I also need one that will work well with Open Book—although I don’t normally scan large batches and don’t need one that has that ability. I’m using a DEL Computer with JAWS 2020, latest update, and Windows 10. My computer doesn’t have BlueTooth, so I don’t need that in a printer.

Thankfully, I know someone who is willing to install it for me. I do well to use it, much less understand how it works or how to set it up. 😒

Thanks for any help.

Shirley

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks Dan,

I don’t care about speed, but after I posted my need to the list, I phoned HP and—yes, I did it—purchased HP deskjet 3755 all in one printer. I don’t print large amounts at one time. I do print small amounts regularly and large printings on occasion. But I’m familiar with the HP 3800 series, and know its weaknesses and its strengths. For my use, I decided it was okay and certainly in my price range. Thanks to everyone who gave me ideas.

Cheerfully,

Shirley Tracy