moderated Navigating to attachments in Outlook

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

John Doering

That happens to me sometimes.

When in the body of the message, hit shift tab and it should put you in the attachments field.

HTH,

John Doering
Pricing Analyst

Office: 4147783040 Extn:4063
Mobile:
445 S Curtis Rd West Allis, WI 53214
https://ibvi.org

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

I did try that, and it isn’t working either.

Thanks, though

Cynthia

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Curtis Chong

Good morning:

When in an open message that you know has attachments, first press CTRL+HOME to focus at the top of the body of the email. Then, press SHIFT+TAB to focus on the list of attachments. Use your left or right arrow keys to navigate through the list of attachments (assuming more than one) and press Enter on the one you are interested in.

With kind regards,

Curtis Chong

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Adrian Spratt

I’ve also encountered this problem. I’ve sometimes fond that setting up the message as if I were forwarding it, with control-f, causes the attachment to appear.

FYI, normally I shift-tab twice into the attachments field.

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Milton Ota

Another way to check and see what attachments you have is to press Alt+F then Shft+tab once and use your up and down arrow keys to see the attachments.

I did try that, and it isn’t working either.

Thanks, though

Cynthia

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Curtis Chong

Cynthia:

It is also possible that you received an email in the rich text format. In such a situation, you cannot tab to a list of attachments because the attachment is actually imbedded in the body of the email.

Another thing that typically happens, particularly with email listserv messages, is that JAWS tells you that there is an attachment but in reality, there is not.

Check other messages to see if you can get to the attachments with them. This will help to identify whether the problem is message-specific or global.

With best regards,

Curtis Chong

I did try that, and it isn’t working either.

Thanks, though

Cynthia

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

Yes, it is a strange one – shift tabbing isn’t working. I’ll try the forwarding trick.

I’ve also encountered this problem. I’ve sometimes fond that setting up the message as if I were forwarding it, with control-f, causes the attachment to appear.

FYI, normally I shift-tab twice into the attachments field.

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

CJ &AA MAY <chrisalismay@...>

I’ve had this issue too so will be glad of any suggestions. The only way I can get my attachments at present is by going to the file menue.

Alison

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Lee Anne Atkinson

The only way I have found to get to my attachments in Outlook is to hit enter when I am in the message list.  This opens the email in full, not just a preview.  At this point I Shift-tab once and the focus moves from the message body to the attachment list.

Lee Anne

I’ve had this issue too so will be glad of any suggestions. The only way I can get my attachments at present is by going to the file menue.

Alison

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Zel Iscel

Have you tried pressing the Jaws key with ‘a’

Zel Iscel
Inclusive World
Principle Consultant

Mobile: +61 0413813885
Email: zel@...

[...]

Steve Nutt

Exactly. If you use the Preview pane, which I don’t recommend, then you can’t access attachments without opening a message.

You can’t anyway. I suggest turning off the preview pane as it marks messages as read, even if you don’t open them.

The preview pane is horrible in my view.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

[...]

Bill White

Hi, Zel. Apparently, what they are doing is looking at the message in Message Preview, without actually opening the message. JAWS key plus A won't work in this case. I actually go into Outlook Options, under the General Category, and turn off Live Preview. This makes it necessary to press ENTER to see a message, and once a message is open, you can use either JAWS key plus A to get to attachments, or you can use SHIFT plus TAB to get to the attachments list.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

I’ve had this issue too so will be glad of any suggestions. The only way I can get my attachments at present is by going to the file menue.

Alison

I am not entirely sure if this is a JAWS issue, but in the last couple of days, I can’t seem to navigate to attachments in Outlook. I know they are there because JAWS tells me there are attachments when I am scrolling through my messages. However, when I back space or use insert A to get to the attachments, JAWS tells me there are no attachments.

I am using JAWS 2021, the latest version I believe, and the most current version of Outlook.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Cynthia

Cynthia Bruce

Hi All,

I think I started this thread, and I wasn’t using preview, so there was a glitch at some point that I encounter every once in a while. When it happens, shift tab and JAWS key plus A don’t work. I do know that it happens consistently if people embed the attachment in the email message itself.

Cynthia

[...]

Hello:

It is often the case that JAWS will indicate that an email has an attachment but in fact there is no attachment that we can open. This seems to happen with messages which appear as web pages more than email. It’s just one of those things in the modern age.☺️

Kind regards,

Curtis Chong

[...]

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I've noticed it with emails that have a signature that includes an image.
Annoying, because it confuses things.

Richard
"Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it." -- Jane Wagner

website:  www.turner42.com

(Sent with my blue iPhone 13 Pro)

On Oct 7, 2021, at 8:20 AM, Curtis Chong <chong.curtis@...> wrote:

[...]

Tom Behler

I’ve actually noticed the reverse situation too at times.

It seems that whenever someone sends me an e-mail with an attachment, using an IPhone, Jaws does not announce the existence of an attachment, even though an attachment is cleary there and can be accessed via shift tab.

I’m using Windows 10, Microsoft 365, and the latest build of Jaws 2021 here.

Dr.  Tom Behler From Michigan

[...]

That is very interesting.

Are these photos or some other file type?

I’ve not noticed that.  If it is at all reproduceable, I’d submit feedback to FS support.

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

[...]

Last night’s example was a .zip folder containing 3 PDF files with text and some report forms.

I’ve noticed this also with Word documents that are sent and attached in e-mails sent via IPhones.

Dr.  Tom Behler from Michigan

[...]

I will do some testing by sending things from my iPhone to myself.

I’ve only experienced this with photos that Apple seems to mostly imbed now….