moderated Navigating canvas with Jaws

James Malone

Hello all, this question is for anyone but particularly  Debra Armstrong. I have a student that is attending courses at a community college. I was listening to the open line  cast that was made back in February. Debra, you say that Canvas is totally accessible with Jaws. Can you please email me off list on ways to help my client navigate the pages?

I was told that certain web browsers didn’t work with Canvas, and particularly Google Chrome. Here’s the link. https://utah.instructure.com/courses/325662/pages/navigating-canvas-with-a-screen-reader.

Yet, when I went to this link and used Internet explorer, I found that Canvas would not open in Internet Explorer.

When trying to navigate within Chrome, we found that for example when trying to read a message the message preview would come up, but the message body would not read the completed message. My client is using Jaws 21, the latest build. If there is any keystrokes to help read within Canvas, I would like to know what they are so I can give her some assistants before her classes starts on Tuesday.

Feel free to email me at malone_j@....

Best: James

michaelpbaity@...

Hello,

I have never used Canvas and am preparing to take an online class that will be using this platform. I would appreciate any additional information that would accelerate my learning curve as I prepare to tackle this challenge. I am using a Windows 10 computer with JAWS 2021 Screen reader. I primarily use Chrome Browser but will start to play with Firefox if compatibility is an issue. Thanks, Michael Baity

Jasmine Kotsay

Canvas will not be much of a learning curve. Are use it with both Google Chrome and Microsoft edge, and have not had any issues with either one. If you need more assistance, feel free to email me off list.

On Mar 14, 2021, at 7:01 PM, michaelpbaity@... wrote:

Hello,

I have never used Canvas and am preparing to take an online class that will be using this platform. I would appreciate any additional information that would accelerate my learning curve as I prepare to tackle this challenge. I am using a Windows 10 computer with JAWS 2021 Screen reader. I primarily use Chrome Browser but will start to play with Firefox if compatibility is an issue. Thanks, Michael Baity

James Malone

Hi Jasmine, Can you give me your email address being that it’s not coming up on the list?

I too have some questions being that messages are only showing the preview.

Canvas will not be much of a learning curve. Are use it with both Google Chrome and Microsoft edge, and have not had any issues with either one. If you need more assistance, feel free to email me off list.

On Mar 14, 2021, at 7:01 PM, michaelpbaity@... wrote:

Hello,

I have never used Canvas and am preparing to take an online class that will be using this platform. I would appreciate any additional information that would accelerate my learning curve as I prepare to tackle this challenge. I am using a Windows 10 computer with JAWS 2021 Screen reader. I primarily use Chrome Browser but will start to play with Firefox if compatibility is an issue. Thanks, Michael Baity

David Griffith

I am afraid I completely disagree that canvas is totally accessible.

Parts are accessible and others are certainly not with a screenreader.

I have not time to go into details now but I was only recently discussing the problems not just for students but with a blind lectururer  who was also experiencing similar problems to me on his interface.

The disappointing thing is the way that Canvas  have been completely unresponsive to the specific feedback  I have offered on particular  problems.

Basically accessing and downloading course material is pretty OK but the accessibility of quizzes and feedback forms is sporadic at best, depending on how they are laid out. On some pages it is impossible to access any edit boxes to type anything in. Other quizzes have check boxes to respond to but NVDA and Jaws are unable to read the questions  associated.

The calendar seems an accessibility mess and I have never managed to make any sense of it.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

marilyn

I have to say that I also find Canvas not to be user friendly at all. I have to use it for many things, and unless I have sighted help, there is no way to accomplish what needs to be done. Contacting Canvas for help or providing feedback on accessibility goes nowhere either.

Wish I didn’t have to use it.

Marilyn

[...]

Vaughn Brown

Hi,

Canvas is very easy to use. The courses are under the courses button, which opens a window with your courses listed in it. Pick your course and enter that website. Modules are the first thing you see, listing the weeks, under each module are the week’s assignments.

The discussion board uses buttons and headings mainly for moving around. The reply button is for replying to the posts. Headings are for jumping through the comments.

I have not problem with Canvas and I am suing windows 10 and Jaws 2021.

Vaughn

[...]

For quizzes and assignment comments you want to use the headings for getting to the questions, E to jump edit for typing in the answers, and F or X for the boxes.

I usually rely on headings and arrows keys for reading the quizzes. Sorry you are having so much trouble.

[...]

Peter Donahue

Hello everyone,

                It’s a drawing program. It’s also a part of HTML5.

Peter Donahue