moderated My Nerdy Approach to Creating and Managing Favorites

Curtis Chong

Greetings everyone:

I thought it might be helpful to the group if I passed along a solution for managing website favorites which works across all of the Windows browsers I have worked with over the years: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome, and Microsoft Edge.

First, I created a folder within My Documents called Favorites. There is nothing magical about the name of the folder. You can call it anything you like. This is where you would store any Favorite that you create.

Second, using Edge or any other browser, go to the web page for which you would like to create a favorite or shortcut. Press ALT+D or CTRL+L (it really doesn't matter) to move the focus to the address bar. Since the URL contained in the address bar is already highlighted (selected), press CTRL+C to copy the URL to the Windows Clipboard.

With File Explorer, open the Favorites folder you have created. Press CTRL+SPACE a couple of times to ensure that nothing is selected. JAWS should tell you when the line item is not selected.

Now, press Shift+F10 to open up a context menu and up arrow to New. Press right arrow to open the submenu and press down arrow to Shortcut. Press Enter.

Paste the URL you copied earlier into the edit field and tab once to type a name for the Shortcut. Then, press Enter.

That's all there is to it. Any time you want to manage or go to a favorite, use File Explorer first to locate the favorite and then press Enter to activate it.

Cordially,

Curtis Chong

Bill White

Hi, Curtis. I can actually make two of the steps for creating favorites even simpler. After making sure nothing is selected, and pressing CONTROL plus SHIFT plus F10, just press W, followed by S, and Arrowing to "New" followed by arrowing to Shortcut is eliminated. W, followed by S eliminates the steps involving arrowing to New and to Shortcuts.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Van Lant, Robin

Curtis – right there with you on doing this at work.  AT home I have Leasy installed and the only thing I have learned to do with it at this point is to allow it to put favorite in my traditional IE Favorites folder.   😊

[...]

KeyCorp Public

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

Maria Campbell

I do the same thing and even have a shortcut to the favorites folder on my desktop for easier access.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke
On 1/12/2022 12:55 PM, Van Lant, Robin via groups.io wrote:

[...]

tom x <ballistic719@...>

Hi Curtis,

Interesting way for handling favorites.

However, pressing enter on the shortcut would always load that particular url into the same default browser.  Is there a way, apart from using the shift F10 "sent to" command, of chooseing which browser into which to load  the url at that time?

i.e.  Sometimes a site may work better using Firefox rather than Edge while another may function better in another browser altogether.

Thanks

Tom

On 13/01/2022 2:24 am, Curtis Chong wrote:

[...]

Tom:

You can clip the URL to the Clipboard and then use the run command:

  • Msedge for Microsoft Edge,
  • Chrome for Google Chrome, and
  • Firefox for Mozilla Firefox.

Then press space and paste in the URL. Press Enter.

Curtyis

[...]

Hi, Tom. As Curtis says, you can copy the URL to the clipboard and use the Run command, or you can do what I do.

1. Arrow to the Internet shortcut, but do not press ENTER.

2. Press ALT plus ENTER for Properties.

3. Once Properties opens for the shortcut, the URL is the first thing you will see. Copy this to the clipboard.

4. Open the browser you want to use to get to the URL.

5. Press CONTROL plus L to open the Address Bar.

6. Paste the URL from the clipboard into the Address Bar, and press ENTER.

Now the URL will open in whichever browser you opened.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

The steps you outlined seems quite cumbersome and am wondering what advantages there are over, say, saving the url into the favorites list in each browser.

However, I do like the idea of having all the favorites in a single folder and am wondering if the process could be made much simpler by using a auto hot key macro or similar. I'll have to give this some thought.

Cheers
Tom

On 15/01/2022 11:11 am, Curtis Chong wrote:

[...]

Hi, Tom. What I like about the shortcut approach to favorites is that,

1. There is no Favorite data in any browser you use.

2. Any shortcut you make to a URL can be used with any browser, as Brian says, (browser agnostic).

3. Shortcuts can be deleted or moved en masse, instead of one by one as with Chrome and Edge. I wish they would make a button that would clear out all favorites from each browser.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi, Tom. Where is this "Sent to Browser" command with SHIFT plus F10? I have a "Send To" command, but nowhere in that selection list does it give me an opportunity to send the URL to a browser? Where did you encounter this?

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hello Tom:

The advantage is that the approach is browser agnostic, meaning that for each browser, the user does not have to learn a different procedure for managing Favorites.

Kindly,

Curtis Chong

[...]

Chris Chaffin

After hitting shift f10 on the shortcut, do you have an Open With choice in the shift f10 menu?
If so, you should find different browsers that you have installed to choose from.

Chris

[...]

Hi, Chris. I do not have an "Open With" option when I press an Internet shortcut. What I have is the following,

Context Menu‑

To navigate press Up or Down Arrow.

Open

Print

Copy as path

Restore previous versions

Send to sub menu‑

Cut

Copy

Create shortcut

Rename

Properties

In my Send to submenu, I have,

Send to sub menu‑

Bluetooth device

Compressed (zipped) folder

selected

Bluetooth device

Compressed (zipped) folder

Desktop (create shortcut)

Fax recipient

Mail recipient

TeamViewer

So, I don't know where I would find the Open With option. This option is usually only seen when I have highlighted a file, not a shortcut.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Hi Bill,

I pasted a couple of browser desktop shortcuts into the send to menu to try out the process but no, it does not work which I suspected may be the case with browsers. However, in the past I have pasted numerous shortcut icons, like text editors etc,  into the send to menu and they work perfectly.

In case anyone is interested, to paste a shortcut icon into the send to menu, do the following.

Hit control c to copy the shortcut, go to C: users, user, app data, roaming, Microsoft, Windows and paste the shortcut into the send to folder.  All done.

Tom

On 15/01/2022 1:55 pm, Bill White wrote:

[...]

Yes Bill, this seems like a logical route to take.

Tom

On 15/01/2022 1:25 pm, Bill White wrote:

[...]

Hi, Tom. The reason this does not work with browser shortcuts is that they are not executable in and of themselves. They only become executable when acted upon by the default browser. In order to make these shortcuts work, you must give a path to the executable file that opens the browser. If your browser is Edge, for example, and you don't want the shortcut to open in the default browser, but want it to open in Chrome, for example, you might do it this way,

Make a shortcut to the browser you want to open the link following the shortcut, as in,

"C:\Program Files\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" https://www.youtube.com/

If this is in the target of the shortcut, and you paste this into the Send To menu, it will open YouTube using Google Chrome, even if that browser is not your default browser.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

In my last post, where I gave an example of a program target, followed by a shortcut URL, the server broke the line into two separate components. In actuality, when you follow the program target, which is surrounded by quotes, with the URL, it should all be on one line, not on two separate lines as the broken link shows in the previous email.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

[...]

Thanks for the explanation Bill.

Cheers