Topics

moderated My documents have mysteriously inverted

Shirley Tracy

Good morning:

I don’t know how this happened, but please help! I can’t get my list of folders and documents to turn back to listing from A-Z instead of Z-A. I know how to fix the desktop when that happens, but not file explorer.

Everything was fine last night when I shut down. Today, poof! They’re in reverse alphabetic order.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley Tracy

Robert Cole

Hi,
Go to the documents folder.
If a file is selected, press ctrl+Spacebar to deselect it.
Now press Shift+F10 to open the context menu.
Choose how you want to sort the files.
Thanks,
Rob

On Nov 23, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Good morning:

I don’t know how this happened, but please help! I can’t get my list of folders and documents to turn back to listing from A-Z instead of Z-A. I know how to fix the desktop when that happens, but not file explorer.

Everything was fine last night when I shut down. Today, poof! They’re in reverse alphabetic order.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley Tracy

Richard Turner

After pressing shift+f10, find sort by and right arrow.

You’ll find the following so you want to down arrow to ascending and press the spacebar.

:

Context Menu‑
View sub menu‑
Sort by sub menu‑
Name checked‑
Status
Date modified
Type
Size
Ascending checked‑
Descending
More...

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

If a file is selected, press ctrl+Spacebar to deselect it.

Now press Shift+F10 to open the context menu.

Choose how you want to sort the files.

Thanks,

Rob

On Nov 23, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Good morning:

I don’t know how this happened, but please help! I can’t get my list of folders and documents to turn back to listing from A-Z instead of Z-A. I know how to fix the desktop when that happens, but not file explorer.

Everything was fine last night when I shut down. Today, poof! They’re in reverse alphabetic order.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley Tracy

Richard Turner

A further note on how this happens; if you press control+o to open a document and shift+tab to get to your files, the first button you land on is Name…. If you accidentally press space or enter on that button, you will reverse the order of the files.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

After pressing shift+f10, find sort by and right arrow.

You’ll find the following so you want to down arrow to ascending and press the spacebar.

:

Context Menu‑
View sub menu‑
Sort by sub menu‑
Name checked‑
Status
Date modified
Type
Size
Ascending checked‑
Descending
More...

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

If a file is selected, press ctrl+Spacebar to deselect it.

Now press Shift+F10 to open the context menu.

Choose how you want to sort the files.

Thanks,

Rob

On Nov 23, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Shirley Tracy <shirleytracy16@...> wrote:

Good morning:

I don’t know how this happened, but please help! I can’t get my list of folders and documents to turn back to listing from A-Z instead of Z-A. I know how to fix the desktop when that happens, but not file explorer.

Everything was fine last night when I shut down. Today, poof! They’re in reverse alphabetic order.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley Tracy

Ann Byrne

An easy way is when you are in the list of documents, tab once. It will say 'name, split button'. Press enter and the docs will turn themselves right-side-up again. Do it a second time and the list will flip over the other way.

At 09:16 AM 11/23/2020, you wrote:

Good morning:

I don’t know how this happened, but please help! I can’t get my list of folders and documents to turn back to listing from A-Z instead of Z-A. I know how to fix the desktop when that happens, but not file explorer.

Everything was fine last night when I shut down. Today, poof! They’re in reverse alphabetic order.

Thanks for any help.

Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks Ann. Easy trick. I got it straight again.

Shirley Tracy

An easy way is when you are in the list of

documents, tab once.  It will say 'name, split

button'.  Press enter and the docs will turn

themselves right-side-up again.  Do it a second

time and the list will flip over the other way.

At 09:16 AM 11/23/2020, you wrote:

>Good morning:

>I don’t know how this happened, but please

>help! I can’t get my list of folders and

>documents to turn back to listing from A-Z

>instead of Z-A. I know how to fix the desktop

>when that happens, but not file explorer.

>Everything was fine last night when I shut down.

>Today, poof! They’re in reverse alphabetic order.

>Thanks for any help.

>Shirley Tracy

Shirley Tracy

Thanks Richard. Until you and Ann responded, I didn’t know that. Sometimes I tune out information when I don’t have the need to use it—then suddenly I do need it. I may have accidentally pressed “names” at some point by mistake.

Thanks again.

Shirley Tracy

A further note on how this happens; if you press control+o to open a document and shift+tab to get to your files, the first button you land on is Name…. If you accidentally press space or enter on that button, you will reverse the order of the files.

Richard

*I’m not the card shark

After pressing shift+f10, find sort by and right arrow.

You’ll find the following so you want to down arrow to ascending and press the spacebar.

:

Context Menu‑
View sub menu‑
Sort by sub menu‑