Topics

moderated Multiple windows desktops

Ralph Supernaw

Hi,

I want to create multiple desktops in Windows 10.  When I press control+windows+d I am put in a new desktop.  However, I cannot figure out how to move between desktops.  I tried control+windows+left or right arrow without success.  Any help is appreciated.

NFB Lab 4

Control windows left and right arrow is the correct key stroke. And to close one it is control windows F4

On Oct 23, 2020, at 4:38 PM, Ralph Supernaw via groups.io <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

I want to create multiple desktops in Windows 10.  When I press control+windows+d I am put in a new desktop.  However, I cannot figure out how to move between desktops.  I tried control+windows+left or right arrow without success.  Any help is appreciated.

mike mcglashon

And if that doesn’t work,

Then do windows d or m to go to desktop,

And then tab to “task viewer” and then arrow through those;

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Ph: 618 783 9331

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of NFB Lab 4
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 5:00 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Multiple windows desktops

Control windows left and right arrow is the correct key stroke. And to close one it is control windows F4

On Oct 23, 2020, at 4:38 PM, Ralph Supernaw via groups.io <rhs@...> wrote:

Hi,

CathyAnne Murtha

Move among Desktops with CTRL-WINDOWS KEY-RIGHT ARROW and CTRL-WINDOWS KEY-LEFT ARROW.

You can also move applications among Desktops and manage Desktops in Task View (WINDOWS KEY-TAB).

To close a Desktop, press CTRL-WINDOWS KEY-F4.

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

Access Technology Institute, LLC

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 955-6611

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ralph Supernaw via groups.io
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 1:38 PM
Subject: Multiple windows desktops

Hi,

Sharon

Why would you even need more than one desktop?

I can’t imagine a situation where I would need that.

But then maybe I’m missing something.

Sharon

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of CathyAnne Murtha
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 5:53 PM

Move among Desktops with CTRL-WINDOWS KEY-RIGHT ARROW and CTRL-WINDOWS KEY-LEFT ARROW.

You can also move applications among Desktops and manage Desktops in Task View (WINDOWS KEY-TAB).

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 955-6611

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ralph Supernaw via groups.io

Hi,

mike mcglashon

are use multiple desktops because I use one for each law class I’m taking because in each window or excuse me and each desktop,
I have multiple windows depending on what I’m doing for that particular class if I take five classes I have at least five desktops and another one on the side for just miscellaneous stuff

contact information
Mike McGlashon
PH: 618-783-9331
Email: michael.mcglashon@...

On Oct 23, 2020, at 6:46 PM, Sharon <mt281820@...> wrote:

I can’t imagine a situation where I would need that.

But then maybe I’m missing something.

Sharon

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of CathyAnne Murtha
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2020 5:53 PM

CathyAnne

CathyAnne Murtha

cathy@...

www.blind.training

(520) 955-6611

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 23, 2020 at 06:46 PM, Sharon wrote:
-
I don't use them, either, but it's just another organization option.  As Mike McGlashon has mentioned, many people use a separate virtual desktop to create a "cyber world" related to a specific sphere they want one for, and generally where multiple programs are actively involved in each sphere.

It's sort of like "browser windows and tabs on steroids" in a way.  We can create as many browser tabs as we want in a given browser instance, and even separate browser instances, each in their own window, that has multiple tabs open.  I know of people who have either a separate browser window, or sometimes who use different browsers, and use each for a specific purpose.  I keep four browsers open at once, and have separate e-mail addresses open in webmail in each, and it's the same webmail in a specific browser all the time, so when I want to check certain accounts I know to look in a specific browser, and always to the tab I keep leftmost/first in the collection of open tabs.

It's all a method to cyber organize so that you can keep things together that you want together and separate that you want separate.  I really can see Mike's example as a perfect one for when you might be, say, writing papers for several different classes, and wanting to have reference material open for each class/paper, and it's way easier to know what's what when each of those collections of programs, activities, and purposes exists in its own little virtual world.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss