Topics

moderated MS Word and highlighting question

Loreal Lavigna

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Terrie Terlau

If anyone knows how to do this, please share with the entire list as I would like to know how  to highlight as well.

Thanks.

Terrie Terlau

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Glenn / Lenny

Hi Loreal,
There may be a way to specifically highlight something permanently as such, but would it work for you to select the text you want, and go into font settings and change the color there?
HTH.
Glenn

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Loreal Lavigna

That’s what I thought too, but my client specifically said that the text itself wasn’t to be yellow and was to remain normal and only the highlight, but not the text, was to be yellow.

[...]

Richard Turner

If you select the words, then use the application key or shift+F10, then hit f for font, tab to Color which is automatic by default and arrow down to standard colors.  And right arrow to yellow and hit enter then tab to OK and hit enter.

The word below is the word yellow, in yellow.

Yellow

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Loreal Lavigna

That was what I did and my client said the following:  “Good job with the yellow, girl! One thing though, it’s not the text we make yellow. We just use the highlight tool to highlight the normal text yellow. Does that make sense?”

Based off that comment it sounds like there’s something else that needs to be done here.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Glenn / Lenny

Loreal,
Since highlighting is a visual thing, and may not serve a screenreader purpose, the answer may not be forthcoming from this list, and a web search might prove more fruitful for you.
Glenn

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Loreal Lavigna

Thank you very much.  I totally understand highlighting is a visual thing and am trying to do a web search on this point presently.  Thanks again!

[...]

Here is the way to do this with Jaws.

Select the text you want to highlight in yellow.

Then tap the following three keys speparately, alt, h, i.

The default highlight is Yellow so just hit enter.

Now, because it is a visual thing, Jaws will not report the highlight color, at least, I have not found a way to get Jaws to say squat about the highlight.

To remove the highlight, you simply repeat the steps above.  It is a toggle.

My sighted wife help me figure this out.

HTH,

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

Since highlighting is a visual thing, and may not serve a screenreader purpose, the answer may not be forthcoming from this list, and a web search might prove more fruitful for you.

Glenn

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

NFB Lab 4

Select the text that you want to be highlighted. Press alt control H and it will do the job for you

[...]

Yes, control+alt+h will do it, but the method of highlighting and then hitting alt, h, I at least confirms the color before you hit enter.

That way, if they get a notion to have you use a different color, you can.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Glenn / Lenny

We learn something new every day!
This is a good example of messages I keep in my inbox, and later when I need to do this, I will search my inbox for the word highlight in the subject.
Glenn

Since highlighting is a visual thing, and may not serve a screenreader purpose, the answer may not be forthcoming from this list, and a web search might prove more fruitful for you.

Glenn

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Loreal Lavigna

Richard thank you very much!!!  I appreciate this.  My client will appreciate it too, as she won’t have to go back in and edit this particular thing in files I submit to her.

[...]

Hi Richard,

After you highlight the text in yellow as described, go back to any letter in the text and press Jaws Key + 5 on the number row. This is the command to announce foreground and backgroun colours. Here is what I get if I do this:

black on yellow

Or you can use Jaws Key + F which is the command to announce the font and point size at the active cursor except it also give syo u even more information, here again what I get when I do this in Word:

11 point
black on yellow
Calibri
Normal style
Line spacing: 1 lines.
Paragraph formatting: Aligned left
Outline level: body text

Since highlighting is a visual thing, and may not serve a screenreader purpose, the answer may not be forthcoming from this list, and a web search might prove more fruitful for you.

Glenn

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

As Richard pointed out, Alt + H followed by I puts you into Highlighting, you can then arrow around and choose which colour you want to highlight the text with, the font remains Black, it's the background which changes.

Since Yellow is the first item pressing Alt + H followed by I and enter selects it and apparently Alt + Control + H does as well.

In Outlook you have to press Alt + H followed by I and 1 to get into the listing of available highlight colours, but if all you want is Yellow then Alt + Control + H also does the trick.

If anyone knows how to do this, please share with the entire list as I would like to know how  to highlight as well.

Thanks.

Terrie Terlau

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Richard Turner

Thank you very much for this Sieghard.

Once my sleepy brain hit 5 on the number row instead of 5 on the number pad, it works perfectly, of course.

That should help the original asker of the question to insure she is getting the results she wants.

Richard

My web site, www.turner42.com

Since highlighting is a visual thing, and may not serve a screenreader purpose, the answer may not be forthcoming from this list, and a web search might prove more fruitful for you.

Glenn

So here’s my challenge.  I am typing for a transcription client.  There are points in the text where a note needs to be normal text but the highlight is yellow, not necessarily the text color itself as yellow.  Does that make sense, and how do I go about doing this?  I’m using the latest version of JFW and Word 365.

Sincerely,

Loreal Lavigna

General, Legal, Medical Transcriptionist

Phone:  (518)330-5188

E-Mail:  LorealLavigna@...

Website:  Click here for Transcripts By Loreal

Phillip Gross

Loreal, I have a question only sort of related to what you were asking about. If you have to use time codes in your transcription, how do you know when you’ve hit the allotted time? Maybe I should be more specific. Say your client wants time codes every 30 seconds. How do you know while you’re transcribing that 30 seconds has elapsed and you need to enter another time stamp?