Topics

MS EXCEL formula

Rick Mladek

Hi all,

I am on an EXCEL spreadsheet, putting together a list of deductions for upcoming tax season.

Can anyone please explain how I add a formula to add up costs of items as a running total.

The costs are in column D and I am wanting the running balance in column E. Where do I put this formula and pardon my extreme ignorance here, what formula would I put in? The sum of these costs as they go down the column.

The costs start on row 14 column D and I would like this to go down the entire column, lets say to row 100 to be safe. Can someone please tell me the formula to put in and where this is embedded?

Thank you,

I am using Windows 10, Jaws 2019.1912.1 and Office 2019.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

Richard Turner

You can put the formula anywhere in column e that you want the total to be.
The formula should be =sum(d14:d100)
Equals sum tells excel that you want to add numbers together.
open parenthesis d14 colon d100 close parenthesis tells it to add d14 through d100.
HTH,

Richard

On Jan 12, 2020, at 7:39 PM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I am on an EXCEL spreadsheet, putting together a list of deductions for upcoming tax season.

Can anyone please explain how I add a formula to add up costs of items as a running total.

The costs are in column D and I am wanting the running balance in column E. Where do I put this formula and pardon my extreme ignorance here, what formula would I put in? The sum of these costs as they go down the column.

The costs start on row 14 column D and I would like this to go down the entire column, lets say to row 100 to be safe. Can someone please tell me the formula to put in and where this is embedded?

Thank you,

I am using Windows 10, Jaws 2019.1912.1 and Office 2019.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

Ann Byrne

The first instance of the formula would be in e14, right?

then. With e13 blank, this would be the formula:
=d14+e13. This should display the number in d14.

To propagate the formula down the page:

So. Copy the formula in e14.
Then Ctrl+g (go to).
Type in the cells you want to hold the formula (e15:e100) and enter.
The cells will be selected.
Paste the formula ctrl+v.
that should do it.

good luck!

Rick Mladek

Richard,

Is there a formula where the running balance/total can be in column E for example? Example: row 14 column D has $22.50 and this should be seen in same row 14 but column E. The next row, 15, has in column D $220.59 and row 15, column E should have the running total or sum. This would go down all rows and columns. Is this possible or just the total somewhere at the bottom cell where the total would be seen?

Thank you,

Rick

[...]

Thank you Ann, I'll give this a shot in the morning. I'm calling it a day
with being in my office for near 12 hours now. Time to call it a day for
tomorrow 5:30 AM comes early.

Thank you again,

Rick

The first instance of the formula would be in e14, right?

then. With e13 blank, this would be the formula:
=d14+e13. This should display the number in d14.

To propagate the formula down the page:

So. Copy the formula in e14.
Then Ctrl+g (go to).
Type in the cells you want to hold the formula (e15:e100) and enter.
The cells will be selected.
Paste the formula ctrl+v.
that should do it.

good luck!

Rick Mladek

Good morning Ann,

Looking over your directions, now that I am alert, I have a question...

Your first point:
=d14+e13. This should display the number in d14.

What do you mean by it should display the number in d14? The cost/amount is
in the D column beginning on row 14. The running sum/total needs displayed
down the E column. Is this how it will appear with the directions given?

Thank you,

Rick

The first instance of the formula would be in e14, right?

then. With e13 blank, this would be the formula:
=d14+e13. This should display the number in d14.

To propagate the formula down the page:

So. Copy the formula in e14.
Then Ctrl+g (go to).
Type in the cells you want to hold the formula (e15:e100) and enter.
The cells will be selected.
Paste the formula ctrl+v.
that should do it.

good luck!

Richard Turner

Rick,
Perhaps you could give a little more detail about the structure of your spreadsheet.
What are you adding together to get the running total?

Richard

On Jan 13, 2020, at 3:11 AM, Rick Mladek <hmladek@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi, Rick,

Assuming the following formula in E14:
=e13+d14.
E13 should have your beginning balance, which would be 0 (Excel assumes a blank is 0).
D14 should have the first number you want to add to the beginning balance, e.g. 10.
So. the number in e14 (e13+d14) should be 10.
Copying/pasting the formula into f15, it should read
=e14+D15.
So. E14 is 10, as calculated above; +d15 which is the next number you are adding, say 32. E15 should equal 42.
And it carries on down, incrementing as you go.

Make sense? Only one cup of coffee so far, so if it doesn't I will drink more and try to explain it better.

Rick Mladek

Richard, what is added is not important. I am adding numbers from one row, down the column, purely basic/simple...

The first instance of the formula would be in e14, right?

then.  With e13 blank, this would be the formula:
=d14+e13.  This should display the number in d14.

To propagate the formula down the page:

So.  Copy the formula in e14.
Then Ctrl+g (go to).
Type in the cells you want to hold the formula (e15:e100) and enter.
The cells will be selected.
Paste the formula ctrl+v.
that should do it.

good luck!

Rick Mladek

Hi Ann, maybe I need more coffee as well. I'm lost and I must admit... can
you give me the formulas and steps for columns D and E with the starting
line of information/numbers being row 14 with row 13 blank.

Thank you and I am sorry...

Rick

E13 should have your beginning balance, which would be 0 (Excel assumes a
blank is 0).
D14 should have the first number you want to add to the beginning balance,
e.g. 10.
So. the number in e14 (e13+d14) should be 10.
Copying/pasting the formula into f15, it should read =e14+D15.
So. E14 is 10, as calculated above; +d15 which is the next number you are
adding, say 32. E15 should equal 42.
And it carries on down, incrementing as you go.

Make sense? Only one cup of coffee so far, so if it doesn't I will drink
more and try to explain it better.

Van Lant, Robin

I’ll give a crack at explaining this to build on what Anne was saying:

For simplicity in my mind, I’m going to approach this slightly different from Anne.

I am assuming that cell D14 has your first dollar amount to add to the running balance in Column E.

Step 1.  Go to cell E14 and type “=D14”.  This is just pulling in the value from column D into column E for this line item as the first item in your running balance.

Step 2: go down to Cell E15.  This is the first place where you’ll be adding a new line item to your running balance. Your formula should be “=E14+D15”.  This adds the value of the new line item to the balance listed in the cell above.

Step 3.  Go to cell E16 and press Control+D , which will copy the above formula into this cell, adjusting the cell references as needed.  You can do this same keystroke all the way down Column E to build that running balance.

There are other methods, but you seem to be a novice Excel user, so I’m leaving this simple.

[...]

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

george b

Here you go

If you just wish to add the cells in a collum do the following;

Example =SUM(D1:D14)

You would put this formulia in d 15
So now the first cell in the formulia is the one you wish to start with and
the last cell in the formulia is the last cell you wish to add together and
that would be in celld15 where you put the formulia

E13 should have your beginning balance, which would be 0 (Excel assumes a
blank is 0).
D14 should have the first number you want to add to the beginning balance,
e.g. 10.
So. the number in e14 (e13+d14) should be 10.
Copying/pasting the formula into f15, it should read =e14+D15.
So. E14 is 10, as calculated above; +d15 which is the next number you are
adding, say 32. E15 should equal 42.
And it carries on down, incrementing as you go.

Make sense? Only one cup of coffee so far, so if it doesn't I will drink
more and try to explain it better.

Mario

the keystroke for step 3 should be control c as in copy.

You can put the formula anywhere in column e that you want the total to be.
The formula should be =sum(d14:d100)
Equals sum tells excel that you want to add numbers together.
open parenthesis d14 colon d100 close parenthesis tells it to add d14
through d100.
HTH,

Richard
-- from The Search for Signs of Intelligent Life in the Universe, by
Jane Wagner

<hmladek@...<mailto:hmladek@...>> wrote:

Hi all,

I am on an EXCEL spreadsheet, putting together a list of deductions for
upcoming tax season.

Can anyone please explain how I add a formula to add up costs of items
as a running total.

The costs are in column D and I am wanting the running balance in column
E. Where do I put this formula and pardon my extreme ignorance here,
what formula would I put in? The sum of these costs as they go down the
column.

The costs start on row 14 column D and I would like this to go down the
entire column, lets say to row 100 to be safe. Can someone please tell
me the formula to put in and where this is embedded?

Thank you,

I am using Windows 10, Jaws 2019.1912.1 and Office 2019.

Thanks for your help,

Rick

information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you
are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from
disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If
you received this communication in error, please contact the sender
immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic
or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal
information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or
redisclose such information for any purpose other than to provide the
services for which you are receiving the information.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114
services from Key
send an e-mail to mailto:DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional
E-mails' in the
SUBJECT line.

Rick Mladek

Hi there, Thank you for helping me. I use such applications/programs but am so very ignorant in doing so. I’ll give your tips a try and let you know how I come out.

Thank you again,

Rick

[...]

Actually I think Control+d for duplicate works.
I tried it because I wondered the same thing.

Richard

On Jan 13, 2020, at 8:54 AM, Mario <mrb620@...> wrote:

[...]

Robin, Thank you, your help did what was needed. I appreciate your help. To all who offered assistance, I do thank you all, as well.

Rick

[...]

No, it's Control D, which is the paste down function. This command will copy whatever is in the cell above and, if a formula, will update the cell references as needed.