From: Audiobookfan
Sent: 01 February 2021 08:52
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: MP3gain installation

I'm wanting to install mp3gain on my Windows 10 computer and I'm

wondering if there are any issues/risks or gotchas that I should know

about. I launched the installer and got a dialog that indicated that

some necessary files might be missing or out of date. It did give me the

option to install anyway. I'm thinking that I read something in the past

about updating these files might mess up Jaws functionality, but I'm not

sure about that. Can anyone confirm or deny this issue? Should I grab

the full version of mp3gain or just go ahead and install the standard

version? Will the standard version work with the files that come with

Windows 10?

Do I need to be cautious of the download from SourceForge? I also am

concerned that some installers might be bundled with bloatware. Is this

a concern I need to worry about? If so, can anyone point me to a clean

version of mp3gain?

Is there anything else I should be aware of before installing mp3gain?

Thanks,

Jeff

I have always sourced the installer for MP3Gain from Sourceforge.  That's where the developer continues to host it, and I've never had an issue with the loathsome practice of bundling potentially unwanted programs with this one.

           ~ André Gide

Audiobookfan

I was trying to install version 1.2.5. I think the version you mention below is a beta and I'd prefer not to use beta software. I only need the basic functionality of mp3gain.

Also, no one has addressed my question about whether I need the updated files in the full installation of mp3gain or if the version included in Windows 10 will work. This is an important question to me because I don't want to have to deal with trying to undo something I've done.

Thanks,
Jeff

On 2/1/2021 8:11 AM, David Griffith wrote:
MP3Gain GUI Version 1.03.0004 is working fine here.
What version are you trying to install?
David G.

On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:55 PM, Audiobookfan wrote:
I was trying to install version 1.2.5. I think the version you mention below is a beta and I'd prefer not to use beta software.
-
You are correct.

I'd simply download a fresh copy of the installer from the official download page:  http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php

           ~ André Gide

David Griffith

It is certainly not beta but best of luck anyway.

David G.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On Tue, Feb 2, 2021 at 01:46 PM, David Griffith wrote:
It is certainly not beta but best of luck anyway
-
Version 1.3.4 is beta, and has been for several years.   I'm not saying it doesn't work, but it is beta by the developer's own download page.  His direct statement, "Normal MP3Gain install for version 1.3.4 Do not use this version unless you really need the experimental Unicode support. There seem to be some cases where this version accidentally shortens the filename. I'm still figuring it out."

I am presuming you don't mean 1.03.0004, which would be absolutely ancient by now.  That's so early I don't even remember the one dot zero plus releases.  I took that as a typo.  Current production is Version 1.2.5.  If you happen to be using a one dot zero three release, you really should update to version 1.2.5.  If you have version 1.3.4 and it's not giving you any issues, then just leave well enough alone.

           ~ André Gide

Audiobookfan

I took this suggestion and installed the full version. I'm pleased to report all went well.

Thanks,
Jeff

On 2/1/2021 3:58 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Mon, Feb 1, 2021 at 04:55 PM, Audiobookfan wrote:
I was trying to install version 1.2.5. I think the version you
mention below is a beta and I'd prefer not to use beta software.
-
You are correct.
I'd simply download a fresh copy of the installer from the official download page: http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php <http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/download.php>
*One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time.*
~ André Gide