moving cursor to start of current sentence

Mark

When reviewing a sentence and deciding it needs to be revised, I'd like to position the cursor at the start of the current sentence and then find the spot to edit by stepping forward words.  JAWS + Y goes to the start of the prior sentence. JAWS + H reads from the current sentence but doesn't move the cursor.

Milton Ota

Using the CTRL + Right Arrow keys will move your cursor from word to word if you have positioned your Cursor at the beginning of a line.

You can then use a place marker at the point where you want to delete with CTRL + SHIFT + THE LETTER K at your starting point and then find your ending point and place another place marker and press Delete. I hope that is what you want.

There is also a new command in JAWS that you can use for temporary place markers which I don’t remember at this point.

HTH

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 7:46 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: moving cursor to start of current sentence

When reviewing a sentence and deciding it needs to be revised, I'd like to position the cursor at the start of the current sentence and then find the spot to edit by stepping forward words.  JAWS + Y goes to the start of the prior sentence. JAWS + H reads from the current sentence but doesn't move the cursor.

Ashleigh Piccinino

This is CTRL Windows and the letter k. Notice that I don’t say plus, but it’s the same thing—use all keys in the single hotkey together.

On Sep 13, 2021, at 8:10 AM, Milton Ota <mota1252@...> wrote:

Using the CTRL + Right Arrow keys will move your cursor from word to word if you have positioned your Cursor at the beginning of a line.

You can then use a place marker at the point where you want to delete with CTRL + SHIFT + THE LETTER K at your starting point and then find your ending point and place another place marker and press Delete. I hope that is what you want.

There is also a new command in JAWS that you can use for temporary place markers which I don’t remember at this point.

HTH

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 7:46 AM

Cohn, Jonathan

This sounds like you are in the laptop mode. I have not used the laptop mode for several years, so I might be slightly off.

1. JAWs+u should move backward a line 
jaws+i should read current line 
jaws+o should read next line

jaws+j should go backward one word 
jaws+k  should read current word  
jaws+l should read next word 

jaws+m should read previous character 
jaws+comma  should read current character 
jaws+period should read next character 

As you can tell this provides most navigation you will need with the caps lock/jaws key and keys that are either on the right hand home row or one position off of it. 
I stopped using laptop mode because my caps lock key does not work as a modifier on my current system.  But I did find this a much better way to edit documents and emails than the standard layout.
Jonathan

On Sep 13, 2021, at 08:46, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

NFB Lab 4

Hi all,

Reguardless of the layout, alt and your up arrow should go to the beginning of the current sentence. If done again, it will move to the beginning of the previous sentence. Alt down arrow will move to the beginning of the next sentence.

Thom

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Cohn, Jonathan via groups.io
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 9:50 AM
Subject: Re: moving cursor to start of current sentence

This sounds like you are in the laptop mode. I have not used the laptop mode for several years, so I might be slightly off.

1. JAWs+u should move backward a line 

jaws+i should read current line 

jaws+o should read next line

jaws+j should go backward one word 

jaws+k  should read current word  

jaws+l should read next word 

jaws+m should read previous character 

jaws+comma  should read current character 

jaws+period should read next character 

As you can tell this provides most navigation you will need with the caps lock/jaws key and keys that are either on the right hand home row or one position off of it. 

I stopped using laptop mode because my caps lock key does not work as a modifier on my current system.  But I did find this a much better way to edit documents and emails than the standard layout.

Jonathan

On Sep 13, 2021, at 08:46, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

Mark

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The specific task I'm trying to do is move the cursor to the start of the current sentence. The closest techniques I've found is jaws + y or the one suggested by Thom,  alt + up arrow. (Thank you Thom). However both of these techniques moves the cursor to the start of the previous sentence, not to the start of the current sentence.  The puzzle is still open.

NFB Lab 4

Then after you alt up arrow, do an alt down arrow, and you should be where you need to be.

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 12:48 PM

Thanks for all the great suggestions. The specific task I'm trying to do is move the cursor to the start of the current sentence. The closest techniques I've found is jaws + y or the one suggested by Thom,  alt + up arrow. (Thank you Thom). However both of these techniques moves the cursor to the start of the previous sentence, not to the start of the current sentence.  The puzzle is still open.

Mike B.

Try pressing your, Home, key.  This command always takes me to the beginning of the sentence I'm on, then press either Insert or Control + right and left arrows to navigate by word.  use just the arrow keys to navigate by character.

Stay safe & take care.  Mike.
Just once, I want a username and password prompt to say:  "Close Enough!"

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 5:46 AM

Ann Byrne

alt+numpad 5 should do what you want.

At 11:47 AM 9/13/2021, you wrote:
Thanks for all the great suggestions. The specific task I'm trying to do is move the cursor to the start of the current sentence. The closest techniques I've found is jaws + y or the one suggested by Thom, alt + up arrow. (Thank you Thom). However both of these techniques moves the cursor to the start of the previous sentence, not to the start of the current sentence. The puzzle is still open.

Mark

The puzzle is still open. Alt + number pad 5 is the same as JAWS + h in laptop mode and reads from the start of the current sentence but doesn't actual move the cursor. The home key moves the cursor to the previous line break character but not the start of the current sentence. Alt up and alt down works but is two keystrokes. I guess I should have said I was looking for just one keystroke.

Ben Moxey

Hi Mark

Unfortunately, there isn’t a single JAWS keystroke. Very happy to be proven wrong!

Cheers

Ben

On 14 Sep 2021, at 9:16 am, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

The puzzle is still open. Alt + number pad 5 is the same as JAWS + h in laptop mode and reads from the start of the current sentence but doesn't actual move the cursor. The home key moves the cursor to the previous line break character but not the start of the current sentence. Alt up and alt down works but is two keystrokes. I guess I should have said I was looking for just one keystroke.

Mike B.

Mark,

What application are you working with?  These keystrokes are right out of Jaws keystrokes help.
Move to Beginning of Line HOME
Move to End of Line END

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish the Home key should do what you want.  Make sure your screen is maximized.

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 4:16 PM

Mark

Mike,  I'm working with Word, although I think it happens in notepad too.    Imagine a paragraph with 3 sentences, each 10 words long. Put the cursor in the second sentence at about 5 words in.  The goal is to move the cursor to the start of the second sentence with one keystroke.  JAWS + h will read the second sentence but not move the cursor.  Alt + Up moves the cursor to the start of the 1st sentence. Home moves the cursor to the most recent line break, which isn't necessarily the start of the 2nd sentence. 

Mike B.

Okay, I just experimented with both Notepad and Word using several sentences that were at least 10 words in length.

In both instances the Home key took me to the beginning of the line I was reading / was highlighted, but the difference is that I don't have any line breaks.  Have you tried changing your speech and sound scheme to get the results you want?  I'm using the Word Classic scheme in Word and the Classic scheme in Notepad.

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 5:42 PM

Mike,  I'm working with Word, although I think it happens in notepad too.    Imagine a paragraph with 3 sentences, each 10 words long. Put the cursor in the second sentence at about 5 words in.  The goal is to move the cursor to the start of the second sentence with one keystroke.  JAWS + h will read the second sentence but not move the cursor.  Alt + Up moves the cursor to the start of the 1st sentence. Home moves the cursor to the most recent line break, which isn't necessarily the start of the 2nd sentence. 

Mark

I just tried with notepad and classic scheme.  The home key moved the cursor to the left edge of the window and not the start of the current sentence.  I'm using JAWS 2021.

Mike B.

I'm no punctuation expert, but I wonder if punctuation marks like line breaks or section breaks might be interfering with way Jaws is reading your current line.

Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 6:13 PM

I just tried with notepad and classic scheme.  The home key moved the cursor to the left edge of the window and not the start of the current sentence.  I'm using JAWS 2021.

Bill White

Hi, Mike. Move to beginning of line is not the same as move to beginning of current sentence.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 5:02 PM

Mark,

What application are you working with?  These keystrokes are right out of Jaws keystrokes help.

Move to End of Line END

Unless I'm totally misunderstanding what you're trying to accomplish the Home key should do what you want.  Make sure your screen is maximized.

Jeff Christiansen

Alt+UpArrow or NumPad 8 = Move to prior sentence & speak it

Alt+NumPad 5 = Move to start of current  sentence & speak it

Alt+DownArrow or NumPad 2 = Move to next  sentence & speak it

I think they say this does not work? It works here for me. Only combo boxes & calendar,   are where the AltKey combinations change.

Good Luck

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 10:44 PM

Hi, Mike. Move to beginning of line is not the same as move to beginning of current sentence.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Mike B.
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2021 5:02 PM

Mark,

Move to End of Line END

Mark

I tried your suggestions Jeff. What version of JAWS are you using? For me, on JAWS 2021, alt + num pad 5 reads from the start of the current sentence but does not actually move the cursor to the start.  i'm about to agree with Ben: no single keystroke exists.

NFB Lab 4

There is no single keystroke. The quickest way is to do an alt up arrow followed by an alt down arrow, or all down arrow followed by an alt up arrow. That should put you at the beginning of the sentence

On Sep 14, 2021, at 7:27 AM, Mark <mweiler@...> wrote:

I tried your suggestions Jeff. What version of JAWS are you using? For me, on JAWS 2021, alt + num pad 5 reads from the start of the current sentence but does not actually move the cursor to the start.  i'm about to agree with Ben: no single keystroke exists.