Topics

moderated modify spoken symbols #jaws

romance's prince

hello dears

when i tried to modify some spoken symbols on *.sbl
i didn't know how i convert hex to get 8 binary number, and jaws didn't accept modification without this 8 numbers.

i'm using notepad plus plus

another point, i noticed that Latin  alphapits not found in this file, why?

any help will be appreciated.
  thanks very much

Leo

Hi,

If you only want to change how a symbol is spoken, all you have to do is rename the symbol name at the end of a particular line.

If you want to go further and add a new entry for a symbol that jaws can’t recognize, notice the following syntax:

u+04D9=Schwa Cyrillic

where u+04D9 is the Unicode hex for the symbol known as schwa Cyrillic, and everything after the symbol equals is how jaws will verbalize the symbol. Of course, the actual spoken name is arbitrary, and you can name it as you wish.

so, if you want to add a new symbol, you must follow the syntax described above, and since the .sbl files are language specific, you must add every entry right below the language upon which you want the modifications are made.

If you don’t know the Unicode hex for a symbol, do as follows:

Copy the symbol to the clipboard, of course, jaws can’t recognize the symbol yet, so basically, jaws won’t verbalize a thing. Make sure you paste this symbol in a word document with no blank spaces, and right away press alt plus x. Now you will notice that the symbol turns into a string of characters, such as  04D9. Add u+ before of it, and you now have the Unicode hex representation for that particular symbol.

Last but not least, to make all these changes you need to run notepad as administrator. Actually, you don’t need to use notepad plus plus for this matter.

hth 🐱‍💻

Best,
   Leo
On 6/25/2020 5:12 PM, romance's prince via groups.io wrote:

hello dears

when i tried to modify some spoken symbols on *.sbl
i didn't know how i convert hex to get 8 binary number, and jaws didn't accept modification without this 8 numbers.

i'm using notepad plus plus

another point, i noticed that Latin  alphapits not found in this file, why?

any help will be appreciated.
thanks very much

Cohn, Jonathan

Also, pressing numpad 5 3 times JAWS will speak the representation of the character. So this might be simpler then the cut and paste described above.

romance's prince

thanks dears for your reply
but from eloq.sbl
i found lines like this:
symbol44=u+25cf 11111101 star

so, i don't find converter to convert chr or hex chr to 8 bits
i tried without 01 bits but jaws didn't spoken it.

i'll try now with notepad may it effect.

thanks

romance's prince

hello dears

i able to solve the problem
jaws didn't pronounce the symbol if we omet these 8 digits 11111111, or any digits but not 00000000.
and these 8 digit change jaws tone as i noticed.
but, any reference to manage this number by correct way?
 i sent to jaws tech support, but not get reply till now, if you can help me?
  thanks