moderated Marking Text for Copying to the Clipboard

Mike Pietruk

When in a browser such as Edge or Chrome using JFW2022, what is the
procedure for marking the beginning and end of a block of text to be
copied to the clipboard?
I presume, once marked, ctrl+c would do the actual copying.

Thanks!

Mario

Mike, try:

move to the beginning of what you want to copy,
press control+Windows+k to set a temporary placeMarker,
move to the end of what you want to copy,
press JAWSKey+spacebar and then m to select text between the temporary placemarker and current cursor location,
press control+c to copy it to the clipboard.

When in a browser such as Edge or Chrome using JFW2022, what is the
procedure for marking the beginning and end of a block of text to be
copied to the clipboard?
I presume, once marked, ctrl+c would do the actual copying.

Thanks!

.

Adrian Spratt

You can set the starting point at the end of the text to be selected. I find it convenient when I've read a passage I realize I want to save. Having marked the starting point at the end of that passage, I might press shift-h to read the heading at the beginning of the article or some other navigation command to locate my selection's end point, then confirmed the selection with JAWS key-spacebar, m.

From: Mike Pietruk [mailto:pietruk@...]
Date: Saturday, March 12, 2022, 1:43 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io

On Sat, Mar 12, 2022 at 01:43 PM, Mike Pietruk wrote:
Does JFW offer the ability to append text to that which is already in the
clipboard?
-
Not of which I'm aware, as the Clipboard is a function of Windows.

But, and it's an important but, if you're using Windows 10 or 11 (I don't know whether the feature exists in WIndows 8.1) you should seriously consider learning about and using Clipboard History  (Settings, System, Clipboard Pane).  Introduced several years into Windows 10 it makes the clipboard a multi-clipboard where, up to a limit, each thing you clip gets "pushed down the list" of clipped things when you clip the next one until, at some point, the oldest thing clipped gets pushed off.

Afterward, when you open Clipboard History with WinKey + V, the list of things clipped (the last 24, when I brought mine up right now) are presented and each has can be pasted just by gaining focus and activating that item.  Each item also has its own triple dot menu that allows you to delete it at will or pin it to the clipboard so that it cannot get "pushed off" by newer additions.

It makes selecting multiple chunks of text from source(s) a cinch and then allows you to paste them back in your target in whatever order makes sense for what you're doing.

There are multiple discussions on using Clipboard History on the Windows Access with Screen Readers Group.  Probably elsewhere on the various blind technology groups, too.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

I stand corrected in that JAWS itself has implemented an "append to clipboard" keystroke.  Do note, though, that this is a JAWS specific function that won't work if you do happen to be using another screen reader for whatever reason.

I also still prefer the Clipboard history feature, but that's just me.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Mike Pietruk

Thanks, Curtis, for the pleasant surprise. I'm glad that my expected
answer was wrong <smile>!!

On Sat, 12 Mar 2022, Curtis Chong wrote:

[...]

Brian, just to let you know, NVDA has an addon that once installed adds the same append feature and keystroke as JAWS provides. I don't know if Narrator has such a feature, but I'd like to know if someone knows.