moderated Managing tabs in MS Edge

Ralph Supernaw

Hi,

When I used Internet Explorer I often opened several tabs.  When using alt-tab to cycle through applications IE would show up once.  Now that I am using Edge, when I use alt-tab to cycle through things I have to go through every tab that is opened in Edge instead of Edge showing up once.  Is there a setting I can change so that Edge shows up only once if all the windows are tabs I opened with control-enter on links?

Hope this makes sense.  Thanks for any help.

Curtis Chong

Hello:

Your experience does not match my experience with the new Edge browser. If I open a link by pressing CTRL+ENTER, a new tab is open, and I can use CTRL+TAB to move between the open tabs in Edge. If I venture into another program (such as my email program), Pressing ALT+TAB only shows me one window for Microsoft Edge. This is the behavior I know you are wanting but which, apparently, is not happening for you.

This assumes you are using the Chromium version of Edge. My version right now is 92.0.902.78.

Best wishes,

Curtis Chong

On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 09:35 AM, Ralph Supernaw wrote:
Is there a setting I can change so that Edge shows up only once if all the windows are tabs I opened with control-enter on links?
-
Yes.  If you open Windows 10 Settings, then type just ALT in the search box, then down arrow you'll hit the option for Choose what windows and tabs appear when pressing ALT + Tab.  Activate it.

Alternatively, you can just open Settings, System, Multi-Tasking Pane and be in the same spot.

In the Multi-Tasking pane there is a dropdown box under the option, Pressing Alt + Tab shows.  The options are:
  • Open Windows Only (which happens to be the one you want)
  • Open Windows and all tabs in Edge (which I believe is the default setting)
  • Open Windows and 5 most recent tabs in Edge
  • Open Windows and 3 most recent tabs in Edge

The only way you get the "old behavior" is by setting this to Open Windows Only, and many forget that they ever did this after time passes.  But if they've got any recent Windows 10 version and they're only getting Open Windows as part of the ALT + TAB behavior, they did make this tweak at one point in the past after the new default came on the scene.  I can't recall exactly which version of Windows 10 introduced it.

    ~ William Plomer

Hi,

This is because Windows is told to show Edge tabs when Alt+Tab is pressed. To “fix” this, provided that one is running Windows 10 20H2 (October 2020 Update) and later, open Settings (Windows+I)/System/Multitasking, locate “Alt+Tab” grouping, then from “Pressing Alt + Tab shows” combo box, choose “open windows only”.

A detailed discussion took place on WinAccess forum last year about this change:

winaccess@winaccess.groups.io | ALT+TAB classic view in the latest Windows 10

P.S. This behavior is also the case with upcoming Windows 11.

Cheers,

Joseph

When I used Internet Explorer I often opened several tabs.  When using alt-tab to cycle through applications IE would show up once.  Now that I am using Edge, when I use alt-tab to cycle through things I have to go through every tab that is opened in Edge instead of Edge showing up once.  Is there a setting I can change so that Edge shows up only once if all the windows are tabs I opened with control-enter on links?

Hope this makes sense.  Thanks for any help.

Curtis Chong

Well said. I had forgotten that in a galaxy far far away many years ago, I actually made that change.

Thanks a bunch for the reminder.

Curtis

[...]

Larry Wayland

You know Curtis, I always suspected you may have come from another galaxy. Smile. .