Topics

moderated Malware Program

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,I thought that the MalwareBytes program I installed some time back was a free version, but it turns out that it is just a trial that has ran out.
Is there a free version of MalwareBytes or another recommendation?
Thanks.
Glenn

Chris Hill

It will still work for scans I believe Malwarebytes is the best out there it’s worth paying for if you really want full-time protection

On May 30, 2020, at 08:57, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:

Hi,I thought that the MalwareBytes program I installed some time back was a free version, but it turns out that it is just a trial that has ran out.
Is there a free version of MalwareBytes or another recommendation?
Thanks.
Glenn

There is a free version, and it sounds like that's precisely what you have.  It, by default, installs with a trial of the premium features enabled with the intent of this being a teaser to convince you to purchase.  When the trial runs out, Malwarebytes reverts to the free license and you no longer have those features.

You can check for yourself what the license status is in Malwarebytes so you know if you've reverted to the free license.  The word Free also appears on the main Malwarebytes screen if you're running the Free Version, and the Window Title itself will be Malwarebytes Free followed by the version number.

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

JM Casey

Hey Glenn.

MalwareBytes should revert to the free version when the trial period runs out, unless something has changed a lot recently. I think this means that soe of the realtime features will be disabled, but you will still be able to run scans for malware, quarantine, etc. Do you no longer have access to the scan button and so on?

Hi,I thought that the MalwareBytes program I installed some time back was a free version, but it turns out that it is just a trial that has ran out.

Is there a free version of MalwareBytes or another recommendation?

Thanks.

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Correct, I wasn't able to run it.
Glenn

MalwareBytes should revert to the free version when the trial period runs out, unless something has changed a lot recently. I think this means that soe of the realtime features will be disabled, but you will still be able to run scans for malware, quarantine, etc. Do you no longer have access to the scan button and so on?

Hi,I thought that the MalwareBytes program I installed some time back was a free version, but it turns out that it is just a trial that has ran out.

Is there a free version of MalwareBytes or another recommendation?

Thanks.

Glenn

Mike B

I just gave Zemana a test drive, and what started out to be a promising program, isn't!  I tried accessing Zemana with Jaws versions 16 thru 2020 and NVDA latest with absolutely no success.  You can arrow / tab to various tabs, but getting them to open to see what's there ain't happenin.  I also tried navigating using the touch cursor with the same amount of no success, maybe even less!  This program seem to be promising, but unless I've totally went into a Zemana brainfart I don't think even I can't navigate programs that badly.  If anyone gives it a try, and has success, please report back.

Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:49 AM

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

I was able to get it to scan, it took some experimenting.
When you are on the Home tab, using the PC cursor, right arrow to the scan tab.
Then use the left mouse click button on the number tab and it should say scan now button.
Glenn

Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:49 AM

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Pastor Gil Pries

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report.

Pastor Gil

Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:49 AM

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Yes it does, then I had things like, Prehl, and a few other buttons that sounded more like options in foreign languages pop-up that I didn't want to activate not knowing what they were.

Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:49 AM

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

You just enter on that when it pops up, and it scans.
HTH.
Glenn

Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:49 AM

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt

       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Hi Pastor,

Don't take what I said for gospel, so to speak, since there are more than 1 way to skin the proverbial cat.  I won't say a program is accessible if it takes too much keyboard gymnastics to navigate it.  If you land on a, Button, it should be able to be activated with the spacebar or pressing enter, but if you have to left mouse click this or right mouse click that, then jump to a touch cursor just to do simple tasks the program needs accessibility work.  Glenn said in another message that he was able to activate the scan button, but I was able to do that as well and came up with choices that I didn't have a clue as to what they were.  Jaws or NVDA didn't give me any kind of dialogues that might have popped up when attempting to activate buttons / tabs.  Maybe this program is accessible using different standards than I use, but I'm not going to waste a lot of my time trying to figure it out when there other programs to use.  I spent almost 2 years working with Malwarebytes and everytime a version MWB update came along we started all over again, but now it seems like MWB just don't give a damn any more, so I got tired of fighting.

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 7:35 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report.

Pastor Gil