Topics

moderated Malware Program

Glenn / Lenny

Hi,I thought that the MalwareBytes program I installed some time back was a free version, but it turns out that it is just a trial that has ran out.
Is there a free version of MalwareBytes or another recommendation?
Thanks.
Glenn

Chris Hill

It will still work for scans I believe Malwarebytes is the best out there it’s worth paying for if you really want full-time protection

On May 30, 2020, at 08:57, Glenn / Lenny <glennervin@...> wrote:

Hi,I thought that the MalwareBytes program I installed some time back was a free version, but it turns out that it is just a trial that has ran out.
Thanks.
Glenn

There is a free version, and it sounds like that's precisely what you have.  It, by default, installs with a trial of the premium features enabled with the intent of this being a teaser to convince you to purchase.  When the trial runs out, Malwarebytes reverts to the free license and you no longer have those features.

You can check for yourself what the license status is in Malwarebytes so you know if you've reverted to the free license.  The word Free also appears on the main Malwarebytes screen if you're running the Free Version, and the Window Title itself will be Malwarebytes Free followed by the version number.
--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 1909, Build 18363  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

JM Casey

Hey Glenn.

MalwareBytes should revert to the free version when the trial period runs out, unless something has changed a lot recently. I think this means that soe of the realtime features will be disabled, but you will still be able to run scans for malware, quarantine, etc. Do you no longer have access to the scan button and so on?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: May 30, 2020 9:43 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Malware Program

Thanks.

Glenn

Glenn / Lenny

Correct, I wasn't able to run it.
Glenn

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 12:49 PM
Subject: Re: Malware Program

Hey Glenn.

MalwareBytes should revert to the free version when the trial period runs out, unless something has changed a lot recently. I think this means that soe of the realtime features will be disabled, but you will still be able to run scans for malware, quarantine, etc. Do you no longer have access to the scan button and so on?

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: May 30, 2020 9:43 AM
Subject: Malware Program

Thanks.

Glenn

Mike B

I just gave Zemana a test drive, and what started out to be a promising program, isn't!  I tried accessing Zemana with Jaws versions 16 thru 2020 and NVDA latest with absolutely no success.  You can arrow / tab to various tabs, but getting them to open to see what's there ain't happenin.  I also tried navigating using the touch cursor with the same amount of no success, maybe even less!  This program seem to be promising, but unless I've totally went into a Zemana brainfart I don't think even I can't navigate programs that badly.  If anyone gives it a try, and has success, please report back.

Take care.  Mike.  Sent from my iBarstool.
 *My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

Sent: Saturday, May 30, 2020 9:49 AM

Current Malwarebytes Free download page:  https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

I have not done any accessibility testing with it, but I can also say that Zemana AntiMalware (free or paid) is no slouch, either.  Free download:  https://www.zemana.com/?ref=producthunt
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

I was able to get it to scan, it took some experimenting.
When you are on the Home tab, using the PC cursor, right arrow to the scan tab.
Then use the left mouse click button on the number tab and it should say scan now button.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 9:14 PM

I just gave Zemana a test drive, and what started out to be a promising program, isn't!  I tried accessing Zemana with Jaws versions 16 thru 2020 and NVDA latest with absolutely no success.  You can arrow / tab to various tabs, but getting them to open to see what's there ain't happenin.  I also tried navigating using the touch cursor with the same amount of no success, maybe even less!  This program seem to be promising, but unless I've totally went into a Zemana brainfart I don't think even I can't navigate programs that badly.  If anyone gives it a try, and has success, please report back.

*My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee it cleans the toilet.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Pastor Gil Pries

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report.

Pastor Gil

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mike B
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020 7:14 PM

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Yes it does, then I had things like, Prehl, and a few other buttons that sounded more like options in foreign languages pop-up that I didn't want to activate not knowing what they were.

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 8:09 PM

Then use the left mouse click button on the number tab and it should say scan now button.
Glenn

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

You just enter on that when it pops up, and it scans.
HTH.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 11:06 PM

Yes it does, then I had things like, Prehl, and a few other buttons that sounded more like options in foreign languages pop-up that I didn't want to activate not knowing what they were.

Glenn

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Hi Pastor,

Don't take what I said for gospel, so to speak, since there are more than 1 way to skin the proverbial cat.  I won't say a program is accessible if it takes too much keyboard gymnastics to navigate it.  If you land on a, Button, it should be able to be activated with the spacebar or pressing enter, but if you have to left mouse click this or right mouse click that, then jump to a touch cursor just to do simple tasks the program needs accessibility work.  Glenn said in another message that he was able to activate the scan button, but I was able to do that as well and came up with choices that I didn't have a clue as to what they were.  Jaws or NVDA didn't give me any kind of dialogues that might have popped up when attempting to activate buttons / tabs.  Maybe this program is accessible using different standards than I use, but I'm not going to waste a lot of my time trying to figure it out when there other programs to use.  I spent almost 2 years working with Malwarebytes and everytime a version MWB update came along we started all over again, but now it seems like MWB just don't give a damn any more, so I got tired of fighting.

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 7:35 PM

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the report.

Pastor Gil

Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020 7:14 PM

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:06 AM, Mike B wrote:
a few other buttons that sounded more like options in foreign languages pop-up
Which is not entirely shocking.  The company formed in 2007 in Sarajevo, Bosnia, and still has an office there.  Its headquarters are now in Ankara, Turkey.

What is presented to the user is often a "skin" that's applied on top of the underlying program scaffolding, which could very well have a lot of its labeling in something other than English.  Heaven knows what's being exposed to a screen reader for announcing.

Zemana does have a support email, support@..., and I would encourage you to report your accessibility issues and other relevant findings to them.   The only way that software accessibility gets pushed forward is if those who put it out are aware of the issues.  That's no guarantee, either, but you cannot improve or fix something you're not aware about, and for many, and from ignorance, not malice, accessibility is just not on the table.  Nudges can get it put there.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Well, if it started scanning I didn't get any kind of dialogue to notify me.  Since you got it to scan, were you able to access the results?  How accessible was the results dialogue after you completed a scan?  Believe me, if this is an accessible program and I'm just not giving it enough time it would be great to have another viable tool in the toolbox.

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 9:12 PM

HTH.
Glenn

Glenn

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

And I will do just that!  I totally understand that many things are done without knowing and programs such as Zemana won't know how to deal with screenreader users unless they are informed by the screenreader users themselves.  This company sounds like they have their hearts in the right place and this program, from my 1st impression, could be a very accessible anti-malware program for screenreader users if the proper tweaks are recognized and applied.

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 9:27 PM

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:06 AM, Mike B wrote:
a few other buttons that sounded more like options in foreign languages pop-up
Which is not entirely shocking.  The company formed in 2007 in Sarajevo, Bosnia, and still has an office there.  Its headquarters are now in Ankara, Turkey.

What is presented to the user is often a "skin" that's applied on top of the underlying program scaffolding, which could very well have a lot of its labeling in something other than English.  Heaven knows what's being exposed to a screen reader for announcing.

Zemana does have a support email, support@..., and I would encourage you to report your accessibility issues and other relevant findings to them.   The only way that software accessibility gets pushed forward is if those who put it out are aware of the issues.  That's no guarantee, either, but you cannot improve or fix something you're not aware about, and for many, and from ignorance, not malice, accessibility is just not on the table.  Nudges can get it put there.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:51 AM, Mike B wrote:
I totally understand that many things are done without knowing and programs such as Zemana won't know how to deal with screenreader users unless they are informed by the screenreader users themselves.
Please, for the love of all that's decent and pure, repeat this, inserting the correct company, as often as necessary!!

As the really odd-man out on groups such as this one, being that I can see, I know that when I say this sort of thing, and with the best of motivations (having been a developer once and knowing you can't and won't address things never brought to your attention, by anyone), that it comes across as being preached at, or at least can.  That doesn't change the fact that is absolutely, positively true.

And I will never be able to describe the problems encountered, even were I to try, in a way that accurately depicts what an actual screen-reader user experiences.  It's a divide I know I can't cross.

Your community needs more advocates such as yourself because, believe me (and as you certainly well know), most of the sighted world doesn't give computer accessibility a second thought.  It's not something they need, and we all tend to focus on our own needs to a very great extent.  And if you're in any sort of minority, you're going to have to constantly push to have those needs acknowledged and acted upon.  And you'll often hit walls, but you simply cannot stop because of that.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Glenn / Lenny

I did get the option to take action on the result, it did find something it only called "client".
I let it quarantine it, figuring that if it did some damage, I could unquarantine it if I need to.
There was a details button, but I didn't go there.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 11:30 PM

Well, if it started scanning I didn't get any kind of dialogue to notify me.  Since you got it to scan, were you able to access the results?  How accessible was the results dialogue after you completed a scan?  Believe me, if this is an accessible program and I'm just not giving it enough time it would be great to have another viable tool in the toolbox.

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 9:12 PM

HTH.
Glenn

Glenn

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Pastor Gil Pries

Sounds like this program should be avoided.

Pastor Gil

Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020 9:06 PM

Glenn

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike B

Brian,

You or someone else that can see and uses a screenreading program might be the perfect people to explain accessibility issues.  Someone that doesn't have enough vision to see what's on the screen can't compare what they hear to what's actually there on the screen.  I am by no means trying to excuse my self from reporting personal navigation issues, but when trying to explain to people that could be possibly using a translation programs to read an English speakers email or, English is a 2nd or 3rd language to them, a lot can be lost in the explanation.  my experience will be reported, but I need to reinstall Zemana and make notes of both keyboard navigation & mouse simulation keystrokes performed and what Jaws reports with these commands.  What really helps if someone of the program tech support staff installs a screenreading program to get a taste of what's happening.

While I was working with MWB and0Patch, both installed screenreading programs to try to get a feel for what the blind person experiences, and it really helped a lot with them understanding what I was trying to convey to them!  Okay folks, attack!  LOL  LOL 

Sent: Monday, June 01, 2020 10:04 PM

On Tue, Jun 2, 2020 at 12:51 AM, Mike B wrote:
I totally understand that many things are done without knowing and programs such as Zemana won't know how to deal with screenreader users unless they are informed by the screenreader users themselves.
Please, for the love of all that's decent and pure, repeat this, inserting the correct company, as often as necessary!!

As the really odd-man out on groups such as this one, being that I can see, I know that when I say this sort of thing, and with the best of motivations (having been a developer once and knowing you can't and won't address things never brought to your attention, by anyone), that it comes across as being preached at, or at least can.  That doesn't change the fact that is absolutely, positively true.

And I will never be able to describe the problems encountered, even were I to try, in a way that accurately depicts what an actual screen-reader user experiences.  It's a divide I know I can't cross.

Your community needs more advocates such as yourself because, believe me (and as you certainly well know), most of the sighted world doesn't give computer accessibility a second thought.  It's not something they need, and we all tend to focus on our own needs to a very great extent.  And if you're in any sort of minority, you're going to have to constantly push to have those needs acknowledged and acted upon.  And you'll often hit walls, but you simply cannot stop because of that.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Mike,

As you note, there are two sides to this coin.  The only thing I'll say is that I'm one of the very, very few sighted people I know who can use screen readers with any basic proficiency.  My central point, I guess, is that you who are screen reader users need to push, push, push and report, report, report, if you want to have any chance of moving the needle on accessibility for programs that aren't already there.

It's not that you can't count on me to do what I can, but what I can do is a lot less than can be achieved by screen reader users becoming their own advocates on a consistent basis.  

And I commend you on instructing the folks you were working with to install a screen reader and, I'd imagine, direct them on using same to get a direct feel for what you are presented with.  That's part and parcel of the necessary advocacy, too.  Blind folks can teach the sighted a lot more about screen readers, their purpose, and how they work than they will ever, ever be inclined to learn on their own, because they don't need them.  It cannot be helped, and it's pretty standard operating procedure, in technical support situations for the subject matter experts in a given thing to have to teach those who aren't.  And screen reader users must take on that role in regard to screen readers.

Accessibility is not the battle of the sighted, and it never will be.  It's the battle of those that need it.  Part of that is cultivating sighted allies and increasing awareness of exactly how your world works (or doesn't, as the case may be) in interactions with technology.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss