From: Phil Cox
Sent: Tuesday, March 29, 2022 1:47 PM
Subject: Malware Bytes substitute program

Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

Ann Byrne

I use mrt. it's a Microsoft malware program. Press Windows key + r (run) and type "mrt".

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

1. Run an offline scan with Windows Security.

2. If you have system protection turned on, restore to a restore point that predates anything you ran, or allowed others to run, as part of the scam.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Maria Campbell

Is MRT accessible?

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

Ann Byrne

Absolutely.

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

Bill White

MRT is usually part of Windows 10. There is no need to go out on the web and
run it down. It usually gets updated when you do a Windows update.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake
security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech
support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other
malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have
found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

Phil Cox

Thanks Ann

I tried to run this but I was told that my system cannot run the MRT program. I will try again today.

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

Maria Campbell

I've never heard of this app, and I'm surprised no one has mentioned it before.  Thanks.

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

I will suggest, again, that if you think you have any sort of possibly persistent threat, the very best and most thorough scan type Microsoft offers is the Windows Defender Offline Scan.  It can get at things that anything that needs the OS to be running simply can't.  It was designed for this purpose and is simple to use.

See: Help protect my PC with Microsoft Defender Offline  [Step-by-Step instructions for Windows 10 and 11 are given here]

If you want the "tech geek level" information, see:  Run and review the results of a Microsoft Defender Offline scan [not easy reading]

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

Bill White

Hi, Maria. It's on many Windows 10 computers, and is usually updated when you do a Windows 10 update. It will show as "Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool", and will announce itself as it is being updated and installed.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake
security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech
support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other
malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have
found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

Maria Campbell

ah, now that you mention the whole name of the program, of course I recognize it from updates.  Thanks.

Maria Campbell
lucky1inct@...

--Edmund Burke

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake
security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech
support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other
malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have
found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

T. Civitello

MRT has been around for years, before smart phones. Tom

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

meow meow

is Malware danger? that I heard they are stealing information out of your computer

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

Pat Byrne

That'
s conspiracy talk; we're all sick and tired of that.

At 02:47 PM 3/29/2022, you wrote:
Hello Listers

Having a problem with my computer after being scammed by a fake security E-mail from my internet provider. Before calling their tech support, I wish to check there no apparent viruses, trojans or other malicious stuff in my system now.

Haven't used Malware Bytes for a while and on downloading it have found it very user unfriendly for screen readers.

What substitutes have you found user friendly to screen readers?

Thanks, in advance!
Phil

It is absolutely not "conspiracy talk" to say that malware steals information from computers.  It's one of the many classes of malware out there.

And malware is definitely a danger, but to be absolutely clear, Malwarebytes isn't. It has been a respected Malware removal tool for decades now.

I haven't used Malwarebytes actively in a while since most security suites, including Windows Security, have been folding malware scanning and removal into their functionality.

Friendship. . . Intimacy, untroubled by eros.

         ~ Kim Chernin

JM Casey

Well, no, malware is potentially dangerous...
Though I'm not sure if meow was asking about that, or something else, like
the Malwarebytes programme...which seems very reliable and has saved my butt
a few times.
They also have pretty extensive presence on the web so I think if they were
doing underhand things they would probably be called out more.
But you all should use whatever software you see fit.