Topics

moderated List containing 1 items annoying me.

Andrew Law

Hi everyone, since the June update, which introduced an update to JAWS reading Aria group names, JAWS now keeps reading “list containing 1 items” or “list containing 3 items”. It is announcing this before many elements on a webpage when tabbing through.

I have contacted FS to request they fix this, I cant believe they introduced a feature that added speech without also adding a setting in the settings center to turn it off.

If this is annoying anyone else can they please also email Freedom Scientific, the more people that complain the higher on the list it will go. I have installed a version I had downloaded from November last year, just so I don’t have to hear it all the time.

Andrew Law

ACATS Trainer

Blind Low Vision NZ

P: 079296210 ext: 5310 | M: +64278084124 | E: alaw@...

160 Seventeenth Avenue, Tauranga South

Tauranga 3112

Our Vision, Your Future: Read our Strategic Plan 2020-2024

Privacy Disclaimer: This e-mail message (including attachments, if any) is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, proprietary, and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender and erase this e-mail message immediately.

Adrian Spratt

Andrew,

This is not a new feature. It sounds as though the latest update change your existing settings. So:

I haven’t gone through the following process just now except for the first few steps, but here are instructions that should still work:

Open JAWS settings with JAWS key+6 on the number row above the letters. If you want the change to affect only one application, be sure focus is in that application. Otherwise, press shift-control-d for it to affect all programs.

Type v e r in the search box and verbosity will appear.

One of the results that comes up is configure web verbosity. On my system, it’s the first of eight.

Note: this is different from JAWS’ speech verbosity.

Cycle through the options with the spacebar.

Press f6. The current level is verbalized right away.

Tabbing once initiates “Set Web verbosity levels.” The first button is labeled “High.” Tab again to medium and then again to low.

Press spacebar on the button of your choice.

After pressing the button you select, a tree view of checkboxes appears.

Arrow down to “List” and pressed spacebar to uncheck it.

Note: You may wish to look at the other items in this tree view in case you want to disable, or in some cases enable, more options.

Tab twice to Okay and press spacebar.

Be sure to save before closing the dialog. Control-s should do it.

[...]

Hi Adrian, this is new and not in the settings, I have gone through every setting in JAWS, including the ones you mentioned. Everything in the list is turned off, and all verbosity levels are set to the lowest.

If I install a version prior to June it goes away, and as soon as I update it comes back.

This is to do with the aria group names change that was made. I assume if the webpage developer created a group of elements on the page but then didn’t give it a unique name, the name defaults to “list with 1 items”, etc.

I use a CRM for work and the groups are named correctly, and it has caused these to be read out, when they weren’t before. I can do without them though and still work effectively, which is why I want FS to give us the option to turn it off.

[...]

I just went through the entire process, which is slightly different from the instructions I copied. I unchecked the “list” checkbox. Did you find the apply button? Then there’s a second OK button. I closed settings, closed Chrome, reopened Chrome, reopened settings, and the “list” checkbox remained unchecked.

I’m using the latest release of JAWS 2020, Windows 10-1909 and the latest version of Chrome.

[...]

Like I said, the check box for list is not checked, it makes no difference because this is not the problem.