Topics

moderated Laptop mouse question

Mark Arnold ABG

List,

I have had numerous laptops over the years and the “mouse” area always causes problems…  Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and JAWS loses focus.  Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an external mouse if sighted users want to utilize a mouse?  Any input would be appreciated…

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

Phone: (330) 419-1710

www.AmericanBlindGolf.com

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

Motivate, Inspire & Serve

Tom Behler

Mark:

I have been using Dell laptops lately, and always try to turn off the mouse pad for the same reasons you suggest.

However, I notice that sometimes the mouse pad gets turned back on probably from Dell updates, so I’m gradually learning to live with the mouse bening enabled.

If someone has instructions for turning the mouse pad off on a Dell computer, and keeping it off, I’d appreciate them.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Arnold ABG
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 3:52 PM
To: jfw@groups.io
Subject: Laptop mouse question

List,

I have had numerous laptops over the years and the “mouse” area always causes problems…  Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and JAWS loses focus.  Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an external mouse if sighted users want to utilize a mouse?  Any input would be appreciated…

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

Pat Byrne

Tom,
I believe that there is a way to turn off the mouse in BIOS, but that's all I know. Perhaps a start.
Pat Byrne

Don H

On my HHP laptops there is a mouse setting to disable the touch pad if you have a physical mouse plugged in. I purchased a mouse with a small dongle and keep it plugged into a USB port.

On 11/15/2020 2:55 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Mark:
I have been using Dell laptops lately, and always try to turn off the mouse
pad for the same reasons you suggest.
However, I notice that sometimes the mouse pad gets turned back on probably
from Dell updates, so I'm gradually learning to live with the mouse bening
enabled.
If someone has instructions for turning the mouse pad off on a Dell
computer, and keeping it off, I'd appreciate them.
Tom Behler
List,
I have had numerous laptops over the years and the "mouse" area always
causes problems. Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and JAWS
loses focus. Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an external mouse
if sighted users want to utilize a mouse? Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Mark
Mark D. Arnold
Co-Director
American Blind Golf
www.AmericanBlindGolf.com <http://www.AmericanBlindGolf.com>;
www.OhioBlindGolf.com <http://www.OhioBlindGolf.com>;

Tom Behler

Don:

As far as I know, Dell laptops are different.

My understanding is that you have to go into the bios to turn off the mouse
pad, and I've found that the setting often does not stick.

Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 4:06 PM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: Re: Laptop mouse question

On my HHP laptops there is a mouse setting to disable the touch pad if you
have a physical mouse plugged in. I purchased a mouse with a small dongle
and keep it plugged into a USB port.

On 11/15/2020 2:55 PM, Tom Behler wrote:
Mark:

I have been using Dell laptops lately, and always try to turn off the
mouse pad for the same reasons you suggest.

However, I notice that sometimes the mouse pad gets turned back on
probably from Dell updates, so I'm gradually learning to live with the
mouse bening enabled.

If someone has instructions for turning the mouse pad off on a Dell
computer, and keeping it off, I'd appreciate them.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mark Arnold
ABG

List,

I have had numerous laptops over the years and the "mouse" area always
causes problems. Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and
JAWS loses focus. Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an
external mouse if sighted users want to utilize a mouse? Any input would
be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.AmericanBlindGolf.com <http://www.AmericanBlindGolf.com>;

www.OhioBlindGolf.com <http://www.OhioBlindGolf.com>;

kevin meyers

I press the function key and F7 to turn off the touch pad. Then to turn it back on press function and F7 again. This is on an Acer laptop.

Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 2:52 PM

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

Kevin Minor

Hi.

Thanks to my smart speaker, I learned of a way to disable the Mouse in Windows. I went to Device Manager, found my mouse, hit the applications key and disabled it that way. Now all I have to do is remember what I did in case someone actually wants to use it.

Just for your information.

Kevin and Jilly, the very empathic, flying doggie

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of kevin meyers
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 4:36 PM

I press the function key and F7 to turn off the touch pad. Then to turn it back on press function and F7 again. This is on an Acer laptop.

Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 2:52 PM

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

Dan Longmore

Yes, the issue is very annoying. After Dell does an update, a Dell update and not a Windows update, the mouse touch pad gets re activated. Go into control panel and under mouse you will find a setting to turn off the touch pad. 

On my dell the setting is only available under the mouse tab in control panel.  On some Dell’s it may be easier to find.  The setting is not easy to locate with JAWS so if sighted assistance is available this will save time.  JAWS does read the items in the mouse area so perhaps with a little extra work with JAWS you should be able to control the function.  It is a check box.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 3:55 PM

Mark:

I have been using Dell laptops lately, and always try to turn off the mouse pad for the same reasons you suggest.

However, I notice that sometimes the mouse pad gets turned back on probably from Dell updates, so I’m gradually learning to live with the mouse bening enabled.

If someone has instructions for turning the mouse pad off on a Dell computer, and keeping it off, I’d appreciate them.

Tom Behler

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 03:51 PM, Mark Arnold ABG wrote:
Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and JAWS loses focus.  Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an external mouse if sighted users want to utilize a mouse?  Any input would be appreciated…
-
Mark,

My recommendation of over a decade not to every one of the clients I've tutored is NOT to disable the mousepad, because having real left and right click hard buttons is just so useful, but to mask off the "thumbpad" area that causes the mouse pointer to move.  I have most commonly done this using a piece of cardboard of the thickness you typically find on the back of a notepad, cut to the necessary size, taped down on the left like that side is a book spine and on the right with a smaller tape tab, that can be easily lifted if desired to expose the "thumbpad" area for sighted assistants.

It is just so handy to have real left and right click rather than using screen reader emulation to achieve same, and you can get that while easily preventing the issue you describe by masking off the area responsible for pointer movement.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it.
       ~ Lawrence Krauss

That should have been, "over a decade now," not, "over a decade not."

You can also modify an optical mouse on desktops by taping over the opening for the laser on the bottom so that you can have real left and right click without the annoyance of mouse pointer movement, too.
--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Ann Byrne

I use an external keyboard with my lap top. that way I don't inadvertently hit the touchPad. Some computers you can turn it off and on easily, but some you can't.

At 04:17 PM 11/15/2020, you wrote:
Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and JAWS loses focus. Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an external mouse if sighted users want to utilize a mouse? Any input would be appreciated…

-Mark,      My recommendation of over a decade not to every one of the clients I've tutored is NOT to disable the mousepad, because having real left and right click hard buttons is just so useful, but to mask off the "thumbpad" area that causes the mouse pointer to move. I have most commonly done this using a piece of cardboard of the thickness you typically find on the back of a notepad, cut to the necessary size, taped down on the left like that side is a book spine and on the right with a smaller tape tab, that can be easily lifted if desired to expose the "thumbpad" area for sighted assistants.      It is just so handy to have real left and right click rather than using screen reader emulation to achieve same, and you can get that while easily preventing the issue you describe by masking off the area responsible for pointer movement. --

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041 Â

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome it. Â Â Â Â Â Â ~ Lawrence Krauss

Tom Behler

Thanks, Dan. …  Will take a look.

Tom Behler

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dan Longmore
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 4:54 PM

Yes, the issue is very annoying. After Dell does an update, a Dell update and not a Windows update, the mouse touch pad gets re activated. Go into control panel and under mouse you will find a setting to turn off the touch pad. 

On my dell the setting is only available under the mouse tab in control panel.  On some Dell’s it may be easier to find.  The setting is not easy to locate with JAWS so if sighted assistance is available this will save time.  JAWS does read the items in the mouse area so perhaps with a little extra work with JAWS you should be able to control the function.  It is a check box.

Dan

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tom Behler
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 3:55 PM

Mark:

Tom Behler

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

Tom Behler

Anne:

This is what I do as well when using my laptop at home.

However, when traveling, carrying around an extra keyboard can be
inconvenient, although I have been known to do that as well.

Covering over the touch-pad may be another easy alternative which I will try
next when needed.

Tom Behler

-----Original Message-----
From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ann Byrne
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 5:49 PM

I use an external keyboard with my lap top. that way I don't inadvertently
hit the touchPad. Some computers you can turn it off and on easily, but
some you can't.
At 04:17 PM 11/15/2020, you wrote:
Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and JAWS loses focus.Â
Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an external mouse if
sighted users want to utilize a mouse? Any input would be
appreciated…

-Mark,      My recommendation of over a decade not to every
one of the clients I've tutored is NOT to disable the mousepad, because
having real left and right click hard buttons is just so useful, but to
mask off the "thumbpad"
area that causes the mouse pointer to move. I have most commonly done
this using a piece of cardboard of the thickness you typically find on
the back of a notepad, cut to the necessary size, taped down on the
left like that side is a book spine and on the right with a smaller
tape tab, that can be easily lifted if desired to expose the "thumbpad"
area for sighted assistants.      It is just so handy to
have real left and right click rather than using screen reader
emulation to achieve same, and you can get that while easily preventing
the issue you describe by masking off the area responsible for pointer
movement. --

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041 Â

The purpose of education is not to validate ignorance but to overcome
it. Â Â Â Â Â Â ~ Lawrence Krauss

Van Lant, Robin

I taped a thick index card over my touchpad because I have sighted members of the family who also need to occasionally use my laptop. It’s not ideal, but it keeps me from generally bumping  the touchpad and still leaves it easy to access as needed.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 3:18 PM

Often times I inadvertently touch the mouse area and JAWS loses focus.  Do most users turn off the mouse and connect an external mouse if sighted users want to utilize a mouse?  Any input would be appreciated…

-
Mark,

My recommendation of over a decade not to every one of the clients I've tutored is NOT to disable the mousepad, because having real left and right click hard buttons is just so useful, but to mask off the "thumbpad" area that causes the mouse pointer to move.  I have most commonly done this using a piece of cardboard of the thickness you typically find on the back of a notepad, cut to the necessary size, taped down on the left like that side is a book spine and on the right with a smaller tape tab, that can be easily lifted if desired to expose the "thumbpad" area for sighted assistants.

It is just so handy to have real left and right click rather than using screen reader emulation to achieve same, and you can get that while easily preventing the issue you describe by masking off the area responsible for pointer movement.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.

Joseph Norton

Hi:

I usually also turn it off it at all possible.

I acquired a Surface Pro 7 with a type cover, and, with that, you can go into settings with Windows+I, search for touch and arrow down to the option to turn on or off the touch pad.

Another thing with the type cover is that the fn key can be tapped by itself to toggle the f keys to either perform the multimedia and other special functions or to just be f keys.  No going into cmos to fix it.

Most of the time, though, I use an external USB keyboard at home, so it’s not a big deal.

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

Jasmine Kotsay

Hi,

I actually keep my mouse on. I don’t ever even use the buttons to click when prompted. I usually don’t have any trouble with the mouse pad, unless I have long sleeves on. I keep the mouse on because I sometimes have someone who can see helping with the computer. I like the idea of having cardboard taped to the touchpad, though.

Sent: Sunday, November 15, 2020 12:52 PM

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

Jasmine,

If you are keeping an external mouse connected, I would suggest using the setting that allows you to disable the internal pointing device (the mousepad) when an external USB pointing device is attached.  Exactly where that is located under the Control Panel, Mouse pane depends on the exact brand of internal mouse is used on your laptop and how the dialog that comes up presents it.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Jasmine Kotsay

I actually don’t use an external one. Thank you, though!

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 3:33 PM

Jasmine,

If you are keeping an external mouse connected, I would suggest using the setting that allows you to disable the internal pointing device (the mousepad) when an external USB pointing device is attached.  Exactly where that is located under the Control Panel, Mouse pane depends on the exact brand of internal mouse is used on your laptop and how the dialog that comes up presents it.

--

~ Lawrence Krauss

Shan Noyes

Hi

One thing you might check out is the controls for the touch pad. 

On my laptop I have a touch pad and my sleeves some times causes the mouse to move around however, in my case the fix is quite simple.  If I tap twice on the upper left side it toggles the touch pad on and off.

Anyways, just a easy control feature if your laptop supports it. 

Have a good day.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jasmine Kotsay via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 5:23 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING, this email originated from outside of SaskTel.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I actually keep my mouse on. I don’t ever even use the buttons to click when prompted. I usually don’t have any trouble with the mouse pad, unless I have long sleeves on. I keep the mouse on because I sometimes have someone who can see helping with the computer. I like the idea of having cardboard taped to the touchpad, though.

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

Van Lant, Robin

Yes, I know my HP laptop offers that double tap toggle option.  For me, it is  the meaty part of the side of my thumbs that often causes unwanted issues wit the touchpad.  Took me a while to figure out that is what was going on in why my pointer was jumping or triggering things I didn’t want. .

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shan Noyes
Sent: Tuesday, November 17, 2020 9:50 AM
Importance: High

Hi

One thing you might check out is the controls for the touch pad. 

On my laptop I have a touch pad and my sleeves some times causes the mouse to move around however, in my case the fix is quite simple.  If I tap twice on the upper left side it toggles the touch pad on and off.

Anyways, just a easy control feature if your laptop supports it. 

Have a good day.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Jasmine Kotsay via groups.io
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2020 5:23 PM

-------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING, this email originated from outside of SaskTel.
Do not click links or open attachments unless you trust the sender and believe the contents are safe.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

List,

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Mark D. Arnold

Co-Director

American Blind Golf

www.OhioBlindGolf.com

NOTICE: This confidential e-mail message is only for the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that disclosing, copying, distributing, or any other use of this message, is strictly prohibited. In such case, please destroy this message and notify the sender.

This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It is intended solely for the use of the addressee. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or lost as a result of any transmission errors. If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing or using any of this information. If you have received this communication in error, please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety, whether electronic or hard copy.

This communication is for informational purposes only, is not an offer, solicitation, recommendation or commitment for any transaction or to buy or sell any security or other financial product, and is not intended as investment advice or as a confirmation of any transaction. Any market price, indicative value, estimate, view, opinion, data or other information herein is not warranted as to completeness or accuracy, is subject to change without notice, and KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. accepts no liability for its use or to update or keep it current. Any views or opinions are those of the individual sender, not necessarily of KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc.

The sender of this communication is a licensed securities representative employed by or associated with KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Member FINRA/SIPC and may also represent KeyBank National Association (“KeyBank N.A.”). Securities products and services are offered by KeyBanc Capital Markets Inc. Banking products and services are offered by KeyBank N.A.

127 Public Square, Cleveland, OH 44114

If you prefer not to receive future e-mail offers for products or services from Key send an e-mail to DNERequests@... with 'No Promotional E-mails' in the SUBJECT line.