label printers which are accessible with Jaws

Richard Turner

Do such label printers exist?

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Web site: www.turner42.com

CJ &AA MAY

I have a Dymo label printer but it prints print, not braille. Up until recently I have found it really accessible as it has a Dymo option on the MS Word Menu bar.

Alison

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Turner
Sent: 17 May 2021 15:29
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: label printers which are accessible with Jaws

Richard

"The highest reward for a person's toil is not what they get for it, but what they become by it."

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Richard Turner

Is that the brand?  Are these on Dymo tape, the half inch wide labels?

Or does it do the Avery  paper labels?  If so, what size?

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of CJ &AA MAY
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 8:10 AM
Subject: Re: label printers which are accessible with Jaws

I have a Dymo label printer but it prints print, not braille. Up until recently I have found it really accessible as it has a Dymo option on the MS Word Menu bar.

Alison

Sent: 17 May 2021 15:29

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

CJ &AA MAY

No, you insert a roll of address labels into the Dymo printer, which is probably about 6 inches tall by six or seven inches long and connects via USB to the computer.

The way I have been using it is to select the address, paste it into a blank Word page, press alt and arrow along to Dymo, hit enter and then print, but at the moment Jaws is being a bit stubborn about reading the menu options in the Dymo Tab but I have learnt how to overcome this by counting the number of times to tab.

It then prints the label, which I tear off at the serrated edge.

The labels are self-adhesive and ideal for putting on envelopes, packages etc. But it is not a braille labeller.

Alison

Richard Turner

No, it would take a braille embosser to do braille labels.

So these are labels that are about 4 by 5 inches,?  Do you happen to know the label number?  Avery labels all have unique names/numbers so it would be good to know which labels go with that printer, or even the printer model so one could find it if one chose to.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 8:47 AM

No, you insert a roll of address labels into the Dymo printer, which is probably about 6 inches tall by six or seven inches long and connects via USB to the computer.

The way I have been using it is to select the address, paste it into a blank Word page, press alt and arrow along to Dymo, hit enter and then print, but at the moment Jaws is being a bit stubborn about reading the menu options in the Dymo Tab but I have learnt how to overcome this by counting the number of times to tab.

The labels are self-adhesive and ideal for putting on envelopes, packages etc. But it is not a braille labeller.

Alison

Glenn / Lenny

Alison,
So I'm confused, does this print on Dymo tape, or paper labels?
And, is it doing Braille, like a label gun, or is it doing print?
I was of the impression that you put in Dymo tape, and it embosses the Braille, like a Braille label gun.

Thanks.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 10:46 AM

Alison

CJ &AA MAY

No, this Dymo printer just prints out paper self-adhesive address labels.

Alison

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn / Lenny
Sent: 17 May 2021 21:55

Alison,

I was of the impression that you put in Dymo tape, and it embosses the Braille, like a Braille label gun.

Thanks.

Alison

Glenn / Lenny

Is it really a Dymo then?
I thought that Dymo was only that thick plastic tape that is either 3/8 or 1/2 inch wide.

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 10:56 AM

Alison

Alison,

Thanks.

Alison

CJ &AA MAY

I’ll find out but don’t know off the top of my head. The address labels are probably just under three inches long and 2 inches tall.

I’ll let you know.

Alison

about

Sent: 17 May 2021 16:49

So these are labels that are about 4 by 5 inches,?  Do you happen to know the label number?  Avery labels all have unique names/numbers so it would be good to know which labels go with that printer, or even the printer model so one could find it if one chose to.

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Alison

CJ &AA MAY

It is definitely called a Dymo Label Printer, Glen.

Alison

Sent: 17 May 2021 21:59

I thought that Dymo was only that thick plastic tape that is either 3/8 or 1/2 inch wide.

Alison

Alison,

Thanks.

Alison

Richard Turner

Glen,

Dymo is a Brand name, not a specific label.

They happened to make the thick plastic rolls of ½ inch or 3/8 inch tape to use in their print and in their braille Dymo guns.  I’m not sure they make the braille version any longer, but they make lots of different things.

Later,

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 1:59 PM

Alison

Alison,

Thanks.

Alison

Hi Richard,

I find label printing to be much easier when using a full sheet of Avery labels and Microsoft Word with my Brother DCP-7030 laser printer.  If you place the mailing address in a Word docx file and choose label from the ribbon bar, Word will highlight the address and let you pick from a list of label vendors including Avery. You can select whether you’re printing a full sheet or if not, select the row and column of the label on the sheet to print. It works well and provided you’ve identified the location of the label you’re printing on the sheet and loaded the sheet correctly into your printer’s paper tray, the results are good. I’ve done this with both Word 2019 and Word 2010.

Alan Lemly

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 10:49 AM

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Alison

Dymo nakes a huge assortment of all sorts of label printers connected to a computer or which work via WiFi, they make stand-alone label writers and even shipping scales, you can get an idea here:

https://www.dymo.com/en_CA/home

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 1:59 PM

Alison

Alison,

Thanks.

Alison

Definitely, I have a Zebra one at my store for printing price tags. They don't use ink, it's some sort of thermal technology and the labels are on a roll, I think the ones I have are 2.5 inches high and 3.5 inches wide. Our point of sale program prints directly to that printer, all I have to do is activate the "Print Label" button which is on the left in front of each product in the list and it sends it to the printer.

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 7:29 AM

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900

Glenn / Lenny

I have a Brother laser one like that that doesn't use ink, but I haven't had a lot of success using it.
Glenn

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 8:59 PM

Definitely, I have a Zebra one at my store for printing price tags. They don't use ink, it's some sort of thermal technology and the labels are on a roll, I think the ones I have are 2.5 inches high and 3.5 inches wide. Our point of sale program prints directly to that printer, all I have to do is activate the "Print Label" button which is on the left in front of each product in the list and it sends it to the printer.

Sent: Monday, May 17, 2021 7:29 AM

Richard

- John Ruskin, 1819-1900