moderated JFW 2022 and alt+tab

Boston, Jason W

Hi all,

When I alt+tab it just toggles me back and forth between the same 2 windows. If I want it to rotate through the open windows I have to use alt+shift+tab.  I seem to recall this feature was modified in an earlier version of JFW, but I can’t recall how to change it back.

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

Using Windows 10 Home, and Jaws 2022 alt+tab is working as it always has.

If you do not release the alt key, it cycles through all open windows, when you release the keys, you land in whatever windows was spoken.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Boston, Jason W
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 9:20 AM
To: main@jfw.groups.io
Subject: JFW 2022 and alt+tab

Hi all,

When I alt+tab it just toggles me back and forth between the same 2 windows. If I want it to rotate through the open windows I have to use alt+shift+tab.  I seem to recall this feature was modified in an earlier version of JFW, but I can’t recall how to change it back.

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message and all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any manner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and review by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.

Curtis Chong

Greetings:

Are you holding down the Alt key when cycling through the windows? It is working for me on my Windows 10 system with JAWS 2022. Hold down alt and press tab repeatedly.

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 10:20 AM

Hi all,

Boston, Jason W

Yes, same keystroke combo I’ve used for years to do this. I use JFW 2022 professional on a windows 10 laptop.

Only change is updating to JFW 2022 from JFW 2021.

Going to call tech support.

Thanks,

Jason

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Curtis Chong
Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 11:33 AM
Subject: Re: JFW 2022 and alt+tab

IMPORTANT!! - External Content - Please use caution.

Greetings:

Are you holding down the Alt key when cycling through the windows? It is working for me on my Windows 10 system with JAWS 2022. Hold down alt and press tab repeatedly.

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Curtis Chong

Jason:

Good luck. I hope the solution to this can be found.

Warmly,

Curtis Chong

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 1:09 PM

Yes, same keystroke combo I’ve used for years to do this. I use JFW 2022 professional on a windows 10 laptop.

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Randy Meyer

Jason:

As an alternative, you can use alt-escape.  I use this on my ElBraille, as there is no way to hold down the alt key and tab repeatedly.  Every time you press alt-escape you move to the next window.

Randy Meyer

Sent: Wednesday, October 27, 2021 2:09 PM

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Steve Nutt

Wow, that doesn’t work for me, I’ve never heard of Alt Escape as a switch.

It must be an ElBraille thing.

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

W: https://www.comproom.co.uk

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Meyer
Sent: 27 October 2021 23:42

Jason:

As an alternative, you can use alt-escape.  I use this on my ElBraille, as there is no way to hold down the alt key and tab repeatedly.  Every time you press alt-escape you move to the next window.

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Bill White

Hi, Steve. It works here on Windows 10, build 19043.1320). JAWS 2022.

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

From: main@jfw.groups.io [mailto:main@jfw.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve Nutt
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 8:43 AM

All the best

Steve

--

To subscribe to our News and Special Offers list, go to https://www.comproom.co.uk/subscribe

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

It works for me as well, but if I have, for example, 3 items open, say Notepad, Edge and Outlook, I can cycle through these programs, but then there is a fourth silent item which if I let go the keys puts me on a screen where Jaws says nothing and also Jaws Key + T doesn't give me a title of whatever Window that is.

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill White
Sent: October 28, 2021 8:52 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Randy Meyer

Steve:

You need to press and release alt-escape key, unlike alt-tab where you hold down the alt key until you are in the window you want. It works on my regular computer as well, but I use alt-tab on my regular computer.

The reason I use alt-escape on my ElBraille is alt-tab will only cycle you between two windows, where alt-escape will move to all windows.

Best of luck with your issue.

Randy Meyer

Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 10:52 AM

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I just tried it.

Yes, hit alt+escape, release, you are in the first window in the alt sequence.  Press alt+escape again and release, second window and so on.

Far more tedious than holding down alt and tapping the tab key; but if that doesn’t work for someone, alt+escape could be a tedious/workable option.

Richard

“Reality is the leading cause of stress for those who are in touch with it.” – Jane Wagner

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com

Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 9:01 AM

Steve:

You need to press and release alt-escape key, unlike alt-tab where you hold down the alt key until you are in the window you want. It works on my regular computer as well, but I use alt-tab on my regular computer.

The reason I use alt-escape on my ElBraille is alt-tab will only cycle you between two windows, where alt-escape will move to all windows.

Randy Meyer

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Steve Nutt

Doesn’t work here on Windows 10, could be something with the UK keyboard I guess. I don’t really care, as Alt Tab does work.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 28 October 2021 16:52

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Steve Nutt

Nope, doesn’t work for me.

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Sent: 28 October 2021 17:01

Steve:

Randy Meyer

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Sieghard Weitzel <sieghard@...>

Hi Randy, thanks, that is more reliable, but as you said, it may be a good option on your ElBraille, but probably not really such an important option on a PC where Alt + Tab usually does the job

Sent: October 28, 2021 9:01 AM

Steve:

Randy Meyer

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Randy Meyer

Sieghard:

Completely agree, sometimes handy on ElBraille but not on other computers.

Randy Meyer

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 11:55 AM

Hi Randy, thanks, that is more reliable, but as you said, it may be a good option on your ElBraille, but probably not really such an important option on a PC where Alt + Tab usually does the job

Steve:

Randy Meyer

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

Marty Hutchings

Me either.

On 10/28/2021 11:15 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Steve:

Randy Meyer

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,

-- 
Thanks,
Lion Marty Hutchings
BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison
(262) 605-8981
mhutchings152730@...
www.wisconsinbold.com

Ben Moxey

Hey everyone

Jason, did you sort it out?

First, I’d do a proper restart using the “Restart” option, which I’m sure you’ve already done.

If the problem still exists with JAWS 2022 and JAWS 2021 (if still on your system), unload JAWS and test the Alt + Tab behaviour with Narrator. You can toggle Narrator at any time by pressing Control + Windows + Enter. If Alt + Tab still isn’t working, it’s unlikely anything to do with JAWS.

Then, considering you said you haven’t changed anything, aside from installing JAWS 2022, I’m wondering if you have accidentally changed keyboard layouts with Windows + Space. If you have more than one keyboard layout installed, this command will change them on the fly.

If there’s nothing out of the ordinary with your keyboard layout, have you tried using both the left and right Alt keys, or a different keyboard?

In the meantime, you can also use JAWS key + F10 to bring up all of your running applications in a list. Choose the one you want and hit Enter to make it active.

Another handy way to view open applications that’s built right into Windows is to press Windows key + Tab and immediately release. This will load the Task view and allow you to use your left and right arrows to choose the open application. Once again, hit Enter to make it active.

All the best!

Ben

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marty Hutchings
Sent: Friday, 29 October 2021 6:29 AM

Me either.

On 10/28/2021 11:15 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

To:
main@jfw.groups.io

Steve:

Randy Meyer

To:
main@jfw.groups.io

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

To:
main@jfw.groups.io

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

To:
main@jfw.groups.io

Jason:

Randy Meyer

To:
main@jfw.groups.io

Thanks,

Jason

To:
main@jfw.groups.io

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

To:
main@jfw.groups.io

Hi all,

-- 
Thanks,
Lion Marty Hutchings
BOLD Secretary, Program Director and VIP Liaison
(262) 605-8981
mhutchings152730@...
www.wisconsinbold.com

Boston, Jason W

Thanks all, I called tecdh support and after playing around we fixed it. Unforetunately not really sure what did the fix. We loaded default scripts, open and closed JFW a few times and then it started working fine with or without default scripts. Maybe it was just a grimmlin.

Thanks,

Jason

From: main@jfw.groups.io <main@jfw.groups.io> On Behalf Of Sieghard Weitzel
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2021 11:55 AM

Steve:

Randy Meyer

Bill White

billwhite92701@...

All the best

Steve

--

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

Jason:

Randy Meyer

Thanks,

Jason

Greetings:

With warm regards,

Curtis Chong

Hi all,