moderated Jeff Lukacsena: work around for PDF files

Jeff Lukacsena

Hi List,

First, I tried to download Acrobat Adobe DC. It said the file on my computer was the most recent.

Then I tried to uninstall Adobe Acrobate. I could not find it under programs in the control panel.

Then, I remembered I had a disc for Kurzweil 100. I had to uninstall it a while back to conserve memory, then my Windows had to be reinstall due to not allowing Windows update to run correctly. I called the Microsoft Disability line a couple of weeks ago and they helped me to reinstall Windows 10.

So then I ran the install of Kurzweil, they asked for my serial number, and it’s not on the DVD cover like they used to put that in Braille. So I had to go to my old Dell laptop wait for about 10 minutes to get it to boot, then open Kurzweil over there, and copy the serial number.

Then I got Kurzwel up on my Lenovo laptop and typed in the serial number.

Then I pulled the PDF into Kurzweil and then saved it as a text file.

That took a total of 1.5 hours.

Adobe is on Lenovo, but there is no Save as text, so I will just be using Kurzweil.

Next step is to try and get my Lenovo laptop to recognize my scanner. I have a stack of books that I could not find on Bookshare. Does anyone recommend any other book websites that I can look up books and download them in BRF, Word, or text, EPub, no Kindle.

Thanks,

Jeff

Richard Turner <richardturner42@...>

I’m late to this thread, so sorry if I am repeating things.

ON my Windows 10 system, under Control Panel, Programs and Features, Adobe is listed as: Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.

Have you tried the Jaws OCR on PDF files that are not accessible?

Are your PDF documents opening in EDGE instead of Acrobat?  That is an issue in the default programs settings.

Other than buying Kindle books and using Codex to convert them to another format, I know of no other reliable web site to get books.  Other than books in audio format like Libro.fm or Audible….

Richard

My Web site: https://www.turner42.com